× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to IP address

smoggypaul
Aspirant

Unable to connect to IP address

I just changed my broadband supplier and have had to change the router to a Sky [Sagem] box [from a Belkin] - my Duo had been running happily for about 6 months but has now disappeared. I can see it in Raidar with its IP address of 192.168.2.31 but if I try to connect either via Raidar or directly this IP is unavailable. I can log into the router and see it as an unnamed [wired] volume but that's all. Does anyone have any clues as this is driving me crazy! Help appreciated
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to connect to IP address

More than likely you had the Duo set up with a static IP address, and your new router is using a different address space (perhaps 192.168.1.x, or 192.168.0.x)

To solve this, you can temporarily set your PC up manually to use IP address 192.168.2.30 and subnet 255.255.255.0 You can then directly connect the DUO ethernet to the PC ethernet, and browse to 192.168.2.31/admin Then change the duo network configuration to use dhcp. The last steps are to recable the DUO to the sky router, and reset your PC network configuration to its original settings.

A second way to solve this is to do an OS reinstall (being careful not to do a factory reset accidentally). That will reset your network configuration, and also reset your admin password to netgear1. Your data will remain intact. The main challenge with this approach is that the Duo has no LCD display, so doing the OS reinstall is a bit tricky.
Message 2 of 7
smoggypaul
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, I was guessing that the IP address was somewhere in the solution but my skillset is below what is necessary to make more than informed guesses. I will try your solution this evening and see what happens. Just one question - how do I set my [Windows 7] PC to use IP address 192.168.2.30? I'm guessing that its in the Network Adaptor menu?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Here are the steps. This will set the "alternate configuration". This is the IP address your PC uses when it can't get an address automatically. The benefit of this approach is that you don't have to change it back when you are done (or remember what you changed). The disadvantage is that you need to wait a little bit for the automatic process to fail. Do this before you recable the NAS to the PC.
    Go into the control panel and select "network and sharing center"

Click on "change adapter settings", then on the "local area connection"

Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties

Select the "Alternate Configuration" tab.

set the "user configured" radio button.

IP Address 192.168.2.30
    Default Gateway 255.255.255.0
    and leave everything else blank.

click on OK.

This should kick in when you connect the ethernet cable between the PC and the NAS.

You can see your current IP address by entering "cmd" into the search window and typing "ipconfig"

If the address doesn't change, you have a couple of options:
(a) try entering "ipconfig /renew" into the command box
(b) try disconnecting/reconnecting the ethernet
(c) reboot the PC
Message 4 of 7
smoggypaul
Aspirant

Thanks so much, I will try that when I get home. Advice and time spent answering my query is deeply appreciated!
Message 5 of 7
smoggypaul
Aspirant

Thanks so much Stephen - I am a very happy bunny, that worked and I am now all connected again! The relief when I got into FrontView again was palpable. Very clear instructions and very well explained. A million thanks
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you are up and running.

If you want a stable IP address for the NAS, you should look through the router menus and see if it supports DHCP reservations. That lets you assign the IP at the router, so if you change ISPs again the problem won't recur.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements