× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mount an NFS Share onto Readynas as root?

BadBrad
Aspirant

Mount an NFS Share onto Readynas as root?

HI Everyone,

I recently bought a new (non Netgear) NAS. Although I loved my Readynas Duo v1 , It is too under powered for my current needs.

I figure if I can create NFS shares on the new NAS, then mount those shares by ssh'ing as root into my readynas then I could copy the data faster (since its straight from one NAS to the other) and retain file permissions and ownership settings for all files. I will be using the same uuid's on my new NAS.

So my questions is this: I already have sshasroot enabled , so can I mount new shares as NFS mounts on the Duo? If so anything special I need to do to accomplish the above. I assume I will just use cp --archive to keep over the file metadata bits the same.

--Brad
Message 1 of 3
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Mount an NFS Share onto Readynas as root?

Why not just use the backup functions in Frontview - that supports NFS target? (I'm doing this very process myself, albeit from Duo v1 to NV+ v2).
Message 2 of 3
BadBrad
Aspirant

Re: Mount an NFS Share onto Readynas as root?

Darn I should have thought of that!!

Well, I already did the my original idea above (well almost I used cp -r --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps) and it worked fine. I used the same uid's for my users on the new NAS , but I switched to all files to a new gid using chgrp.

Thanks for the advice nonetheless.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements