× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mountain Lion Compatibility

SkySurfer1
Aspirant

Seems like the very annoying bug that was affecting AFP with OSX Lion for my older model X6 has been fixed! At least the connection isn't dropping constantly anymore.
Message 26 of 113
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

benjyforrest the AFP in 4.1.8 should be new enough but that was released quite a while ago now (September 2011). If you are willing please try 4.1.10 beta: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222

Compared with 4.1.8, 4.1.10 includes a major samba (SMB/CIFS) update and a decent update to Netatalk (AFP).
Message 27 of 113
peterdgreenway
Aspirant

All, have upgraded to Mountain Lion and running 4.1.10 t3 on NV+.

Have a really interesting problem, it looks like ML is ignoring permissions when listing shares under CIFS or AFP. Things that were listed under Lion - simply upgrade to Mountain Lion and they are not being listed. Has anyone else got this, the same problem is also occurring on a ReadyNAS Pro so I think it is definitely a ML issue. On another machine running Lion everything is fine.
Message 28 of 113
KroSha1
Aspirant

Just installed ML on my MBP. So far it looks good; shares mounted ok and TM is currently updating the 10GB of changes that happened.
Hard Ethernet connected to a sparc Duo running 4.1.9.
Message 29 of 113
peterdgreenway
Aspirant

All

Be warned, there is definitely an issue with the way that Mountain Lion reads shares both SMB and AFP versus Lion. I have done further testing today and the situation occurs consistently on a ReadyNAS NV+ ( 4.1.10 T3 ) and ReadyNAS Pro. *Some* existing shares correctly appear within Finder in Lion but don't in Mountain Lion on both machines. I have done a load of testing and I can't see any commonality to this. Even creating shares dont always appear, I thought it was possibly something to do with the use of the underscore character in the share name but I now not sure.

Can the Jedi Council look into this please, there is definitely a problem. It looks like Apple have changed something under the covers that is causing a problem.
Message 30 of 113
nmbr6
Aspirant

I have unusable transfer performance since upgrading to Mountain Lion.
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.9 [1.00a043]
Model: ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]
Message 31 of 113
asdsa
Aspirant

Can you guys try removing any spaces from the share names of the drive you are trying to access within ML, as I had a similar issue sharing and AFP share from my router (not readynas) to my ML MBP, and it was fixed by removing spaces.

Asdsa
Message 32 of 113
alistair_nelson
Aspirant

Look forward to an official word on this. As I aren't upgrading till I know my time machine backups have a good chance of working !
Message 33 of 113
mattebury
Aspirant

I too have an NV+ (silver) and am waiting to hear if this has been resolved before upgrading to 10.8.
Message 34 of 113
redpola
Aspirant

Well, I've seen the "cannot connect" problem, (in the linked thread) and my solution, which seems to absolutely fix that problem is:

Under "Services" and "Standard File Protocols", look for the AFP section (which should be checked) and check "Advertise AFP service over Bonjour".

This allows all my Mountain Lion machines to back up to my Time Machine volume (a ReadyNAS Ultra 6).

Data speeds seem ok for me.

Neil.
Message 35 of 113
jonsenge
Aspirant

For the NAS novice like myself, these experiences are pretty varied. What would some of the pro users recommend for someone like myself? Will my NV+ v1 (RAIDiator 4.1.9) mount in Mountain Lion, and will Time Machine function properly over WiFi? Or will an updated RAIDiator be required for full functionality?
Message 36 of 113
alb1
Aspirant

Also having a similar problem here using Mountan Lion and trying to connect to the ReadyNas NV+ over afp (just updated the RAIDiator to 4.1.9 too). It eventually connects but takes about 5 minutes and then it's unusable as it just hangs. Worked fine in Lion though. Can't even connect to other users connected via the ReadyNAS over Ethernet. All other computers working fine though. Any help, greatly appreciated.
Message 37 of 113
jonsenge
Aspirant

I setup a USB disk running 10.8 to test my configuration on (NV+ v1, RAIDiator 4.1.9, AFP, WiFi), and overall pretty good results. Initial connection is a little slower than it is on Lion, maybe 10 seconds vs. just a 1-3. Transfer and write speeds seem pretty normal. I setup and completed a full initial Time Machine backup of my USB Mountain Lion volume. All seemed pretty normal and it behaved as expected.

It seems like others are having other experiences, but this was my result in the above setup. I'm holding out on upgrading my primary volume to 10.8 until a few more bugs are squashed out, just to be safe. I can say that the ML interface is gorgeous. Lion sharpened even further. I'm looking forward to using it.
Message 38 of 113
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you haven't already you may wish to open support cases at my.netgear.com.
Message 39 of 113
kolz
Aspirant

READYNAS REMOTE NO LONGER WORKS

you connect.. it sees the shares, asks you to select which shares you want to mount, then the connecting to 5.x.x.x. dialog continues forever. The NAS shows up in Finder but non of the shares do and the connecting dialog still shows 😞 :oops: :oops:
Message 40 of 113
matthewdfleming
Aspirant

redpola wrote:
Under "Services" and "Standard File Protocols", look for the AFP section (which should be checked) and check "Advertise AFP service over Bonjour".

+1.. this fixed my problem with Time Machine not working.
Message 41 of 113
Josc73
Aspirant

Hi there!

Upgraded my Mac's to ML and guess what? No luck with Time Machine anymore... I've been reading on this forum and tried the following:

1. Restarted the ReadyNAS
2. Restarted my Mac with Time Machine off and then re-initiated it after restart
3. Upgraded the Duo to 4.1.10-T3
4. Double checked that AFP advertises over Bonjour.

The strange thing here is that I can get it to backup once if I disable AFP and the reenable it. Then it will backup, although very slow. Takes about 2 minutes in the state "Looking for backup disk" and then it gets going. If I try to make a new backup directly it will not work. Also my shares (AFP) has disappeared. It is almost as Time Machine disables the share in the clean-up phase?

Anyone else experienced the same?

/Joakim
Message 42 of 113
edanto
Aspirant

@redpola Thanks! I came here looking for a fix to the dropped connection problem and fingers crossed your suggestion has helped. Appreciate you posting it.
Message 43 of 113
step_andy1
Aspirant

Upgraded to ML and Time Machine no longer works for Ready NAS NV v2.
Also, ReadyNas Raidiator widget will not launch - getting an error message that developer isn't authorised.

Cheers

Edit: went through the set up from scratch and TM is working again.
Message 44 of 113
bluewammer
Aspirant

I haven't upgraded to ML yet, but I understand that if you right click on an app icon and use the 'open with' command, there is an option to authorise an 'unauthorised' app to run - you only need to do this once.
Message 45 of 113
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

step_andy wrote:
Upgraded to ML and Time Machine no longer works for Ready NAS NV v2.

Please open a support case.
bluewammer wrote:
I haven't upgraded to ML yet, but I understand that if you right click on an app icon and use the 'open with' command, there is an option to authorise an 'unauthorised' app to run - you only need to do this once.

Yes. This trick works well.
Message 46 of 113
dgerson76
Aspirant

kolz wrote:
READYNAS REMOTE NO LONGER WORKS

you connect.. it sees the shares, asks you to select which shares you want to mount, then the connecting to 5.x.x.x. dialog continues forever. The NAS shows up in Finder but non of the shares do and the connecting dialog still shows 😞 :oops: :oops:

SAME ISSUE. Can someone please help?

Macbook air/ML.
Ultra2+ with latest firmware and latest Remote software.

Shares eventually mount but can't see anything past the 1st level of folders.

This was working perfect prior to last firmware and readynas remote software.

HELP!
Message 47 of 113
sircoolio
Tutor

I'm having an issue accessing the WebDAV service on my ReadyNAS Pro, which is running the latest production firmware, from a Mountain Lion machine. Accessing the ReadyNAS WebDAV share on Lion and Snow Leopard works great, but the machine running ML fails to connect. I can ping the webdav server from the ML machine, but not connect via WebDAV. I can also access the ReadyNAS shares from AFP without an issue (in my limited testing). I've been scouring console for the error, but can't seem to find the failure.

Reading up on the issue on the Apple Support forums, it appears Apple made a change that requires a server (e.g. ReadyNAS) change? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/41 ... 0&tstart=0

Anyone else having this problem?
Message 48 of 113
sphardy1
Apprentice

sircoolio - this is not necessarily a Server change that needs to be implemented, but a client change.

The ReadyNAS issues a self-signed certificate to enable SSL support (i.e. the "S" in "HTTPS", and self-signed as those do not cost you anything)

Web browsers always warn you before accessing services over HTTPS where the certificate is self-signed and allow you to set the certificate as trusted to avoid future warnings. Finder doesn't have such a feature and has previously always defaulted to trusting the certificate. It appears that security hole has been closed in ML by now defaulting to not trusting self-signed certificates. But as there is no mechanism to ask to trust the certificate built into Finder you must therefore you must use the KeyChain app on your client to first trust the certificate - once done Finder should connect as before

The alternative is to make a server change and buy & install a certificate from a trusted authority (eg Comodo, verisign etc) - you can read how here: http://url.sphardy.com/Romarm

I've just tested connecting to my NAS with trusted certificate installed over HTTPS from Finder on my ML MacBook - works just fine as shown below:
Message 49 of 113
GJSchaller
Guide

I ran into an issue with mine, and the initial steps (Enabling AFP) didn't seem to work for me. Then again, my NAS hung in the middle of a backup, which may have corrupted something... in either case, here's the steps I took to fix the issue, and it seems to be backing up now.

1) Follow the steps here, to delete any old backups: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=60831

2) While there, also delete the .AppleDB and .AppleDouble folders (from SSH, do a "rm -rf .AppleDB" and "rm -rf .AppleDouble" command)

When you are done, the only files in the /c/.timemachine directory (or the home folder you've designated as your backup) should be:

.AppleVolumes
.com.apple.timemachine.supported

Once I did this, my TimeMachine backup ran without issues.
Message 50 of 113
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements