× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mountain Lion/SMB/symlinks

senel
Aspirant

Mountain Lion/SMB/symlinks

Hi,

I have a little problem with symlinks on samba share...

I added

unix extension = no

to /etc/samba/smb.conf (global)

then added

wide links = Yes
follow symlinks = Yes

to /etc/frontview/Shares.conf,

restarted samba with

/etc/init.d/samba restart

and symlinks works corretly in Windows 8 but in Mountain Lion they doesnt...

Can anybody help me please?
Message 1 of 4
jelockwood1
Guide

Windows shortcuts,
Macintosh aliases,
and Unix symbolic links,

are all different. A Mac in the Finder, can follow both Aliases and Symbolic links but not Windows Shortcuts. Are you sure it is a Symbolic link? This would have to be created either on the Mac in Terminal.app, or on the ReadyNAS itself if you have enabled SSH access. A Windows client would not I believe be able to create a Symbolic link (unless it logs in the ReadyNAS via SSH).
Message 2 of 4
senel
Aspirant

Yep, its symlink. I modified samb.conf, restarted samba (as I wrote above) and them created symlinks via Mac over SSH.

What I can't understand is that same symlinks works on Windows, Ubuntu and ElementaryOS but not on ML...

On my old NAS (Streamed eTrayz) I had same HDD setup/folder setup and symlinks worked fine on all OS.

Odesláno z mého Nexus 7 pomocí Tapatalk 2
Message 3 of 4
jelockwood1
Guide

senel wrote:
Yep, its symlink. I modified samb.conf, restarted samba (as I wrote above) and them created symlinks via Mac over SSH.

What I can't understand is that same symlinks works on Windows, Ubuntu and ElementaryOS but not on ML...

On my old NAS (Streamed eTrayz) I had same HDD setup/folder setup and symlinks worked fine on all OS.

I have created and used Symbolic links on my ReadyNAS via a Mac and they work fine but I have not tested them under Mountain Lion. I used the ln -s command. The difference in behavior might be down to 'hard' and 'soft' links (i.e. using or not using the -s flag).
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements