× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Move disks from dead ReadyNas NV+ v2 to a new NV+ v2?

stClem
Aspirant

Move disks from dead ReadyNas NV+ v2 to a new NV+ v2?

If i move the disks from one dead NV+ v2 to a new NV+ v2, will the data on the disks survive? 

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Move disks from dead ReadyNas NV+ v2 to a new NV+ v2?

What are the symptoms you are seeing?  If it is a failed power supply, you might also be able to replace it.

@stClem wrote:

If i move the disks from one dead NV+ v2 to a new NV+ v2, will the data on the disks survive? 

Yes, unless the data was corrupted with the dead NV+ failed.  If the firmware on the two NAS differs, then whatever is in the flash will be installed onto the disks.  That can sometimes cause issues, so it is best to install a spare disk (not part of the array) first, and then apply the desired firmware.  If you don't know what firmware your dead NAS was running, then install 5.3.11

I also recommend booting up the replacement NAS with the spare disk in each bay, to make sure all the bays are working.

Two things to be careful about:

1. Many NV+ v1 owners mistakenly believe they have a v2.  A v2 (arm-based NAS) runs 5.3.x firmware and says NV+ v2 on the front panel. Other labels should be ignored.  And you need to be careful to ensure that the NAS you are getting is also a v2.  Pictures on e-bay and other sites often don't match the model you actually are purchasing.
  2. Current browers (Edge, FireFox, Chrome, Safari) no longer support TLS 1.0 - which is what the NAS uses for https.  Edge will work if you open the site in "internet explorer" mode, you can also install an old version of FireFox (making sure it doesn't autoupdate).  94.0.2 works.  Once you have migrated the disks, there is an add-on you can apply to add TLS 1.2 support.

Message 2 of 3
stClem
Aspirant

Re: Move disks from dead ReadyNas NV+ v2 to a new NV+ v2?

The divce is dead. No fan, no lights in front. The only light that is on is the wlan light on the back when a cat cable is conected. 

Have bought a new used one (not got it yet). Both hase V2 on the front and looks completly the same. Dont now the firmvare before i get it. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements