× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving complete volume from RN314 to RN316

rclementtx
Guide

Moving complete volume from RN314 to RN316

This may be obvoius to the experienced user, but wanted a "gut check" before I jump off the deep end.  I have a relatively new RN314 with 3 of 4 disk slots filled.  Operating in X-Raid.  I like the hardware so much, I'm willing this one month old box to my daughter and I just bought an RN316.  I intend to "replicate" our files across our two boxes for our own version of cloud backup.

My question is simple - can I simply remove the 3 disks in my RN314 and place them in my new RN316 without any other action?  I see instructions in the manual related to "exporting" volumes, but I also see some chatter in here about how exported volumes sometimes don't come back up correctly.

For the record, both machines have OS version 6.4.2.  

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay,RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Moving complete volume from RN314 to RN316

If you are moving all the disks across and those will be the only disks in the new NAS then you don't need to use the export volume feature at all.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All you need to do is:

1. Power down both systems

2. Remove disks (label order)

3. Move the 3 disks across keeping the order the same (make sure they are the only disks in the new NAS)

4. Power on.

Message 2 of 5
rclementtx
Guide

Many thanks.  When does "exporting" come into play?

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you are moving all the disks across and those will be the only disks in the new NAS then you don't need to use the export volume feature at all.

Message 4 of 5
rclementtx
Guide

Installed all disks from 314 to 316.  Worked fine.  No issues apparent.  I think this concern is closed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements