× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving drives to a new chassis

Alvarolo
Aspirant

Moving drives to a new chassis

We have a RN312 in RAID1 configuration which we use for sharing some folders and also for providing iSCSI drives to a couple of Windows machines. We are thinking of buying another RN312 chassis (with no drives) as a replacement, just in case the power supply of the main RN312 gets burned.

The question is:

Is there any way to move the drives from a supposed faulty unit to the replacement chassis and have the new unit to recognize the LUNs for iSCSI? I mean, I have seen that I can backup RN configuration to a USB (and that will copy things as users, shares, IP, etc.) but will that copy LUNs and iSCSI associations as well? and what about RAID configuration?

If not, can you think of any way to do this in order to be able to move the drives from one faulty chassis to another empty one the more transparent way and with minimum re-configuration of the new unit?

Thanks in advance!!!

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All your data including your configuration is on the disks so it will remain when moving the disks to another chassis. If the only problem is hardware failure then this should work fine.

However sometimes users mistake an issue on the disks for hardware failure or have both hardware failure and another issue. If there is an issue on the disks it will remain when moving the disks to another chassis.

You should regularly backup your data e.g. using software on the PC the iSCSI initiator is running on.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All your data including your configuration is on the disks so it will remain when moving the disks to another chassis. If the only problem is hardware failure then this should work fine.

However sometimes users mistake an issue on the disks for hardware failure or have both hardware failure and another issue. If there is an issue on the disks it will remain when moving the disks to another chassis.

You should regularly backup your data e.g. using software on the PC the iSCSI initiator is running on.

Message 2 of 17
Alvarolo
Aspirant

Thank you mdgm!!

Is the firmware also in the drives? Just having one exact model RN31200 as replacement would be enough, or will it have to be a specific release or firmware version?

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Alvarolo wrote:

Is the firmware also in the drives? 

The OS runs from a boot partition on the drives. but it is also in the flash.  With OS6, when you migrate disks the boot process compares the flash version with the on-disk version.  If there is a mismatch, than it takes whatever if newer.  That is, if the flash is newer. the flash version  is installed to the disks.  If the boot partition is newer, the flash is updated from the boot partition.

There is also code in there to support ARM->x86 and X64->ARM migration, which is pretty cool.

So you don't need to precisely match the model or the firmware in it's flash.

Still, I do suggest installing a temporary scratch disk in the new unit first, and update the firmware first if that is necessary.  Then power down and do the disk migration.  Perhaps that is overly cautious, but I'd rather not risk a failed firmware update when I'm migrating.  Plus it does provide some assurance that the replacement chassis is working properly.

Message 4 of 17
Alvarolo
Aspirant

Thank you very much StephenB!

I'll mark the first answer as the solution as it answers my first question, which is the topic of the post.

But both answers have been equally helpful for me,

Best regards!

Message 5 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

I am using 2 mirrored drives (NAS 3Tb each) that is generating the following message.

V+12 power is out of normal range [expected: 12.00  current: 11.08].

Because it is reaching its storage limit

Volume C is approaching capacity:
95% used
143G available.

When I started getting the error messages, I purchased a used ReadyNAS Pro 4 chassis.

I decided that now was the time that I should "move" all of the "shares" plus the Photo II apps from the Pro 2 to the Pro 4..

I searched the Forum for "cloning", "transfering" & etc but didn't find anything that I understood or felt was similiar so I did the following.

I thought that I could "save" disk 1 as a "backup", I took disk 2 and installed it in the Pro 4 1 slot and  I installed a new disk in slot 2. 

The following messages were received.

Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 1.

RAID sync started on volume C.

RAID sync finished on volume C.

When I examined the Pro 4 with Windows Explorer, I found that the NAS had only the 2 default shares; Backup & Media & no Photo II files.

AND THAT WASN'T GOOD!

Now I was worried that I also might have lost my "backup" files.

I installed a new 2nd drive in the Pro 2.

The following messages were received.

Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 2.

RAID sync started on volume C.

RAID sync finished on volume C.

And it appears that I still have all of the files & the Photo II apps still are present.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG WHEN I WAS BUILDING THE PRO 4?

Do I have to take both of the 2 drives in the Pro 2 and move them to the Pro 4 to still have all of the files & Photo II apps in the Pro 4?  

I APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU ARE ABLE TO PROVIDE ME.  THANKS FOR READING THIS POSTING!

Model: ReadyNASRNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Can you let me know what firmware is running in both the pro-2 and the pro-4?

The best thing to do now is to create the shares you want on the pro-4, and then use a frontview backup job to copy the files in those shares over from the pro-2.  Rsync is a good backup mechanism for this.  Create one backup job for each share (letting it finish before starting the next).

Message 7 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

StephenB, thanks for the quick response.

Sorry that I overlooked stating the firmware.  Both NAS units; Pro 2 & Pro 4 are 4.2.30...

While waiting for a response from the Forum, I created Shares on the Pro 4 to be the same Share as on the existing Pro 2 NAS.

I have been using BACKUP for copying SHARES to the FRONT USB port but am having trouble "filling in the blanks" with "Add a New Backup job" .

INPUT FRAME:

Select this ReadyNAS or remote?    Share "BACKUP" on HALL-NAS

Host  Raidar Host Name "HALL-NAS"?

Path ??

Login  User Name for Raidar?

Password

OUTPUT FRAME

Select this ReadyNAS or remote?     Share "BACKUP" on HALL-NAS4

Host Raidar Host Name "HALL-NAS4"?

Path ??

Login  User Name for Raidar?

Password

Don't see an option to send attachments to assist in the questions.  

Thanks again.  Ron

Model: ReadyNASRNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only,ReadyNASRNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 8 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

NAS FRONTVIEW BACKUP SCREEN

STEP 1 - Select backup source

Specify what you want to backup. The path you want to backup can be in a share on this device (a USB disk attached to this device will show up as a share) or located remotely. The backup source and destination cannot both be remote shares.

“Share: archived”

Host:  “Grey – Unable to add info”

Path:  “HALL-NAS”                            Browse  “Grey – Shows me Archive”

Login:            “Grey – Unable to add info”   Password: “Grey – Unable to add info”                                       

Test connection  “Grey – Unable to test”

STEP 2 - Select backup destination

Specify where you want your backup data saved. As with the backup source, the destination path can be a share on this device or a path on a remote PC or device.

“Share: archived”

Host:  “Grey – Unable to add info”

Path:  “HALL-NAS4”                          Browse  “Grey – Shows me Archive”

Login:            “Grey – Unable to add info”   Password: “Grey – Unable to add info”

Test connection  “Grey – Unable to test”

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Create a backup job for each share on the PRO-4 that copies the data directly from the same share on the Pro-2.  Enable Rsync for the shares on both NAS first.

Here's an example assuming that the source NAS has IP address 10.0.0.15 for a share called "backup".  I'm showing all the settings needed to set this up to run every day, though you can of course just run it once.

backup-1.png

backup-2.png

backup-3.png

Message 10 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

Thsmks for the additional information.   Sorry that I am so dense,

Because I don't see any specific reference to the NAS-4, I assume that you are running FrontView on the destination NAS4.  ie: This is a "PULL" operation.

Correct? 

Question, how did you get screen shots in the reply?    What programs are you using?  Thanks again!

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@FHWA_Retiree wrote:

Because I don't see any specific reference to the NAS-4, I assume that you are running FrontView on the destination NAS4.  ie: This is a "PULL" operation.

Yes.  The pro-6 actually backs up my RN526 - but the same backup settings will work between your pro-2 and your pro-4.  

@FHWA_Retiree wrote:

Question, how did you get screen shots in the reply?    

Actually I just use built-in windows tools.  I copy the window with alt-PrtSC, then I paste it into paint with a ctrl-v.  I then crop it, and save it as a png.  There is an image tool in the posting tool bar the lets you insert the pngs into the post.

Message 12 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

Thanks for the additional info.

Hope to apply all this new info later this week.

Message 13 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

SOMETHING IS WRONG...  GOING TO BED.   WILL FURTHER INVESTIGATE TOMORROW.

FULL Backup started. Sun Feb 12 23:49:29 EST 2017

Job: 003
Protocol: rsync
Source: 192.168.1.152::backup
Destination: [backup]/

@Error: Unknown module 'backup'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [Receiver=3.0.9]

Backup failed. Sun Feb 12 23:49:29 EST 2017.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from remote source path 192.168.1.152::backup ==> /backup/ due to unknown reason. Please see log.

NOT SURE WHAT LOG I AM SUPPOSED TO "SEE".

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

There is a backup log that you can view (one of the icons in the backup job list).

Check that rsync is enabled on the source share.  Then double-check the spelling - rsync is case-sensitive (unlike SMB).

Message 15 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

StephenB, thanks for the additional ideas.

I found the "rsync column" that needed me to set the "rights" to "read/write" for my backup job.  Once I had all of them "Checkmarked", the "Test Connection" worked and my "Test Backup" also worked.  

Hopefully, tomorrow morning will show me a "Completed" message on my "Share of Acronis Archived Backups"!  Then I have 6 more to do, 1 each night.

Thanks again.  Ron

Message 16 of 17
FHWA_Retiree
Aspirant

Looks like all 6 shares of the Pro 2 copied ok to the Pro 4.  But it apparently didn't copy the Photo II photos.  I added the Photo II app to the Pro 4 before doing the Rsync from the Pro 2 drives.

When I do a Windows Explorer on the Pro 2, I find, in addition to the 6 shares, file folders named "admin", "c" containing folder ".RNP2", & "home". 

In reading various forum subjects about Photo II, I found one talking about treating "/c/.RNP2" as a share like I did for the previous 6 shares.

It also stated that the user should "add" the Photo II app "after" the Rsync for "/c/.RNP2" has completed and the Photo II app would automatically "sync" all of the photos in the albums.  Is that true?  If so, do I have to "uninstall" the Photo II app on the Pro 4 before doing the Rsync followed by "reinstalling" the Photo II app?

Thanks again for the continue assistance.  Ron

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements