× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving from a Duo to a NV+

dermick
Aspirant

Moving from a Duo to a NV+

hey guys,

i've got a duo with 2x1TB mirrored (X-Raid) and a NV+ with blank 2x1TB hdd's.
my plan is to have all my data from the duo disk in the nv+ disks.

i read a few articles here and he faq (http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_ReadyNAS_to_another%3F) but a few questions are left.

first what i did yesterday:
i resetted the nv+ to factory defaults.
installed one of the blank 1TB hdd's and later i added one of the full 1TB duo disks.
i thought that the syncing process will copy all my files - wrong it only deletes them...

okay, what will the duo do, when i moving the blank duo disk back in the duo?
will the syncing process also delete all files from the full duo disk, or will it copy the files to the blank disk?
must be a raidiator update first? what's when 4.1.7. already installed? do it twice? and how - system -> update?
(that's one my main questions....)

please can anybody help me?
thanks a lot!
Message 1 of 15
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: Moving from a Duo to a NV+

Oops, you did it exactly backwards 😞 It should have been enough to just move the disks from the DUo to the NV+ and maybe do a firmware upgrade afterwards.

To be able to guide you through the process, one very important question:
What drive from the Duo did you put into the NV+ and can you still access your data on the Duo?

-Stefan
Message 2 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

Ok. Thankfully you didn't put both the Duo disks in. At this point what I would do, if the Duo is up and operating (as well as the NV+) is to backup all the data on the Duo to the NV+. You can do this one of several ways. You can set up a backup job on the NV+ to pull the data from the Duo, you can set up a backup job on the Duo to push the data to the NV+ or you can use Windows Explorer to copy all the data from the Duo to the NV+.

In hindsight, it would have been best to have backed up the Duo, and then you could have shut it down and moved both the drives from the Duo to the NV+ and with only those two drives, boot the NV+. It should have then booted up (the backup is of course in case Murphy decided to intervene). Then you could have hot added the two new drives.

I would not do this now with the one drive as your array is now degraded as it is no longer mirrored. If you have a problem with the one remaining drive, your data would be at risk.

The easiest way (but the slowest) if you are familiar with Windows Explorer copy/past, is to use it. If you want to use the Frontview backup up, first on the Duo and alter the share settings.

On the Duo, go into the Shares listing and for each share you wish to back up (copy) to the NV+, set up NFS and Rsync as access methods. To do this, click on the NFS icon and then in the next window use the default access pull down to choose read/write and then in the access restrictions box check the box for root-privileged enabled hosts and enter the IP address of the NV+ (the IP address is displayed in RAIDar). Then click on the display share list button at the top and repeat the process for Rsync, changing the default access to read/write and then check the box for hosts allowed access and again enter the NV+ IP address. (The name of the NAS should work, but I always use the IP address).

When you have all your active shares modified this way, click the apply button in the lower right and move to the browser window with the NV+ Frontview open. Here you will click on the backup button on the left and then on Add New Backup Job. The first one will be assigned number 001 automatically. For backup source, in the pull down menu, select Remote NFS Server. In the Host blank, enter either the Duo name or the IP address (both are displayed in RAIDar). I generally use the IP address here as well. In the path name, enter the name of the share you are going to copy over. (You will need to set up a separate backup job for each active share.) Unless you have a login and password for your shares, those should be left blank. Click Test Connection and it should give you a rotating bar as it check access to the Duo. You should get a message that it is a successful connection.

Then in destination, using the pull down menu, select the share name. Of course the defaults in Frontview are backup and media. If you have added additional shares on the Duo, you will need to set up matching shares on the NV+. There is no need to test the connection and in fact the button should be grayed out. In the schedule, uncheck the box in front of "perform backup every" and then click on the apply button to apply the settings for this job. Then click on the backup job button in the menu on the left.

In the listing, you should now have the first backup job and beside the number a summary of the source and destination. On the far right is a button marked "Go", if you click the button the backup job should start. Depending on how big the share is, it can take a while. When it successfully completes, change the backup source from Remote NFS to Remote Rsync and run it again. The rsync will synchronize the two shares and is a good way to do routine backups and verify backups, but it is extremely slow on the initial backup because of all the verifications it does.

When you are completely done you can then move the remaining drive from the Duo and hot add it to the NV+ where it will be reinitialized and then synchronized. Then you have the decision on what to do with the Duo. One option is to put new drives in it and use it for a backup target for your critical data. Obviously it will not have the capacity to be a full backup target.
Message 3 of 15
dermick
Aspirant

Hey Stefan!

Damm

I Put the First drive into nv+, but in the fourth Channel...
My Data in secound dou Disk is still accessable.

My Plan is to refill the (now empty) First Duo Disk and do it all again but in the right order.
The man question is, what will the Duo do when i Insert the blank Disk from the nv+?
will this Disk mirrored or cleaned? 😉
Or do i have Format (manually) this Disk before inserting it to the Duo?

Kind Regards
Mick

Ps: Next Time in german 😉

Hey papabear!
I tried the rsync method, but this will take about 18 days!!
So I canceled it a few hours ago.

i will Backup my secound Duo drive, Format my blank First One aND try to Sync my Duo Drives...
Will this defenatly fail?
Message 4 of 15
WhoCares_
Mentor

Ich mach' das mal schnell auf Deutsch:
Erstmal: Finger weg vom Duo. Nicht ausschalten, nicht rebooten, nix. Auch nicht die erste Platte wieder reinbasteln. So lange du auf die Daten noch zugreifen kannst: Gut.
Dein NV+ läuft ja jetzt, und du hast eine "freie" Platte übrig. Du könntest jetzt also versuchen, die ehemals erste Duo-Platte (jetzt leer) per USB ans Duo zu hängen und deine Daten da drauf zu kopieren. Das KÖNNTE - muss aber nicht - schneller sein als die Backup-Job-Variante. Während die Sicherung läuft kannst du schonmal das NV fertig konfigurieren und anschließend die Daten von der USB-Sicherung aufs NV schieben. Wenn das erledigt ist, die beiden restlichen Platten ins NV und dann warten bis der Resync fertig ist. Zumindest würde ich das so machen 😉

-Stefan
Message 5 of 15
dermick
Aspirant

That's an advice! Thank you very much!
Message 6 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

Should have used NFS first then rsync to verify. Yes, as I said, using rsync for the initial backup is very very slow.
Message 7 of 15
dermick
Aspirant

hello everyone!

no risk no fun 😄

i saved the config of the duo and recovered it in the nv+.
i booted the nv+ with (my last) full duo disk and - voila.
after booting, the nv+ detects, that there is one disk missing.
empty disk inserted, wating for round about 4-5 hours (for 1TB and not 18 days over ethernet or 6 days over usb).

same procedure with the only full nv+ disk and again syning.
but this time with my sound nv+ disk.

all in all - wonderful! 😄

thanks everyone for your help!
this forum was my cause for deciding a nas!

best regards
mick
Message 8 of 15
dogbert74
Aspirant

Hi all,

in a few days I'm going to perform the same upgrade.
I've a Duo with 2 1,5Gb disks (RAID1) and I'm moving to NV+ adding another 2 disks (same make and model of the others).

I plan to move only one disk from the duo to the NV+, then boot up the NV+, perform a RAIDator upgrade and hot add the other 2 blank disks.

Will I be able then to expand directly the data in the 1st disk (which was from a RAID1) to a RAID5 with the other 2 disks ?

Thanks,
Rick
Message 9 of 15
dogbert74
Aspirant

After reading some documentation about FLEX-RAID and X-RAID I found a pothole in my process.
If I move my disk from DUO to NV+ I should expect them to be configured in Flex-Raid (RAID 1). I think that I cannot add other disk and migrate to RAID5. What I should do is Reset the NV+ to X-RAID (thus losing all my data on the moved disk), and then copy all the data from the DUO (that still contain 1 disk from the mirror) to the NV+. After that I can move the last drive (formatting it) and expanding the XRAID on the NV+

Have I got it right ?
Thanks,
Rick
Message 10 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Leave the disks in the Duo for now. Best not to break the redundancy in the Duo if you don't have to.

Put the new 1.5TB disks in the NV+, factory default, then transfer data across your network. Then power down the Duo and hot-add (add while NAS is on) those disks one at a time (wait for resync, expansion to complete before adding next disk).

Edit: I would update the NV+ to 4.1.7 and then do a factory default to get 4k sector alignment. After a factory default the NV+ will be configured to use X-RAID by default.
Message 11 of 15
Webagents
Aspirant

Hi,

I followed the very helpful post on this thread (thanks papabear) about setting up a backup but I have a problem.

My backup is currently running and is transferring the data share from my duo to my nv+

The problem is that it is copying all the data into the recycle bin folder on the destinations data share 😞

Why is that? and more importantly how do I correct it?
Message 12 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is odd. Unless the data is in the recycle bin folder on the source NAS or you specified the recycle bin folder on the destination it shouldn't do that. You should open a tech support case and start a new thread to discuss this issue, including the case number in the thread title (i.e. subject of the first post).
Message 13 of 15
Webagents
Aspirant

It gets worse...

The files it did copy (before I cancelled the backup) have their owner set as another user (my wife) who has nothing to do with it all LOL.

Now I can't delete the files it did copy....
Message 14 of 15
Webagents
Aspirant

hmm..

I deleted the share and recreated it (on the destination nas)

Started the backup and it put the files in the correct place.

I cancelled the backup and tried deleting the files and it still won't let me :-<

Permissions are a pain.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements