× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems copying files to Media Folder on ReadyNAS

mjcairney
Aspirant

Problems copying files to Media Folder on ReadyNAS

I have just recently purchased and installed my ReadyNAS 2150 and would appear to have a problem, although it may well be down to my lack of product knowledge. Anyway, the problem is when I go to Browse in the Raidar program, I immediately see the ReadyNAS's folders. I then access the Music Folder on the PC (running Windows 7 Home Premium) but when I drag a file over from there to the media folder on the ReadyNAS, sometimes it copies okay, other times it copies the album name but no files and other times it copies nothing, in both the latter cases I get an error message saying "There is a problem accessing \\192.168.01.06\media".

I wonder if some kind soul could help me here, as it's really beginning to annoy me now?

Cheers,

Martin.
Message 1 of 30
dbott67
Guide

Re: Problems copying files to Media Folder on ReadyNAS

It could be related to this:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=260

If not, can you please provide the following information:

- version of RAIDiator (i.e. 4.1.6)
- type of network connection on Windows 7 machine (wired or wireless; 100 Mbps or gigabit, 802.11a/b/g or n, etc.)
- make & model of router/switch

As a baseline during troubleshooting, we always try to eliminate some of the variables, so using wired rather than wireless can help eliminate some of the possibilities, as can performing a direct-connection. These are used to try to identify/isolate the issue and then we can proceed from there.
Message 2 of 30
mjcairney
Aspirant

Hi, and thanks for your response.

To answer your questions, as follows:

1) RAIDiator v 4.1.6
2) I have tried both wired and wireless and it makes no difference. 100Mbps 802.11g
3) Sky supplied router - Netgear DG834G.

Cheers,

Martin.

p.s. I should have added that I do not have auto-update switched on.
Message 3 of 30
dbott67
Guide

Can you try a direct connection to see if it exhibits the same behaviour:

faq.php#How_do_I_direct-connect_between_ReadyNAS_and_PC%2FMac%3F
Message 4 of 30
mjcairney
Aspirant

I must admit I'm not sure how to do that.

However, whilst having another play around with it earlier on, I had the same problem, but when the message appeared, as usual I was offered the options to Try Again, Skip or Cancel - this time, I chose Skip and the file transfer was successfully carried out. I tried this another couple of times, each time resulting in a successful file transfer.

I don't understand this, but if that's all I need to do to transfer files, then I'm not going to worry about it.

Cheers,

Martin.

p.s. I really do appreciate your efforts to help me - thank you. 🙂
Message 5 of 30
rick_brewer
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem. File copies larger than 400 MB and the entire device hangs up.

What I have figured out though, is that if I delete the current snapshot and then make a new one, the file copy works just fine.

Not sure what causes it, but it is a big pain to deal with. It needs to get fixed some how.
Message 6 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

rick.brewer wrote:
I have the exact same problem. File copies larger than 400 MB and the entire device hangs up.

What I have figured out though, is that if I delete the current snapshot and then make a new one, the file copy works just fine.

Not sure what causes it, but it is a big pain to deal with. It needs to get fixed some how.

What version of RAIDiator?

What router?

Have you tried a direct connection?

How much space have you allocated to snapshots?
Message 7 of 30
rick_brewer
Aspirant

Version: RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]

It is connected to a Cisco 3560G at 1 Gig Full. No Jumbo Frames.

I have tried direct connect with same result.

Snapshot size is 100 GB.

The only thing that seems to work is deleting the snapshot. Whenever the copy times out, the NAS is still pingable, but the Web admin site locks up the same ammount of time until the copy finally errors out. I have tried the DLNA thing, however DLNA is disabled. I have tried the NNTP thing with no luck.

Once I delete the snapshot, the copy will work. I take snapshots once a day and they are usually less than 5% full. I also don't get this behavior every time I copy a large file. But when it does happen, deleting the snapshot fixes it.
Message 8 of 30
mjcairney
Aspirant

As a matter of interest, here is a copy of the Network Error Message I get.

I don't know if that is of any use.

Cheers,

Martin.
Message 9 of 30
ONESIMUS
Aspirant

How large is the file you are trying to copy to the media folder?
Are you able to try from a Windows XP computer? And does that fail also?
Message 10 of 30
rick_brewer
Aspirant

ONESIMUS wrote:
How large is the file you are trying to copy to the media folder?
Are you able to try from a Windows XP computer? And does that fail also?

Windows XP fails as well. It fails just a hair past 400 MB copied. However, I am not copying into the Media folder. I am copying into a share I created.
Message 11 of 30
ONESIMUS
Aspirant

Try with your antivirus software turned off.
I assume you know that the files you are copying are virus-free.
Some antivirus programs causes a very large delay on large files and result in failed file copying.
Message 12 of 30
ONESIMUS
Aspirant

A few more options to try:
turn OFF Jumbo frames, if you have it on (if this works, you have incompatible NICs with Jumbo frames)
try another switch between your computer and the ReadyNAS (if this works, your switch probably has bad memory in it)
Message 13 of 30
Argor
Aspirant

im having the same problem, just connected it up today and did the firmware upgrade, copying is random before a hang on a file. Sometimes waiting before hitting the try again button helps but not often. Have to either skip or cancel, can then copy the file as a single ok. doesnt seem to matter what size the file is.

version 4.1.6
windows 7 home premium, wireless 802.11n
Billion BiPAC 7300N
Message 14 of 30
rick_brewer
Aspirant

Argor wrote:
im having the same problem, just connected it up today and did the firmware upgrade, copying is random before a hang on a file. Sometimes waiting before hitting the try again button helps but not often. Have to either skip or cancel, can then copy the file as a single ok. doesnt seem to matter what size the file is.

version 4.1.6
windows 7 home premium, wireless 802.11n
Billion BiPAC 7300N

Do you have any luck deleting the snapshot to get the copy to complete?
Message 15 of 30
Argor
Aspirant

havent set up any form of backup/snapshot yet.

just trying direct connect now.

Copied 9gb of pictures roughly 1mb in size each with no problems.

Moved onto movies and struggling to get anything to copy. Interesting to note that when i select multiple files for the copy it nearly always fails but a single will mostly work.

getting speeds b/n 8-9 MB/sec connected with cat 6.
Message 16 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Argor wrote:
havent set up any form of backup/snapshot yet.

just trying direct connect now.

Copied 9gb of pictures roughly 1mb in size each with no problems.

Moved onto movies and struggling to get anything to copy. Interesting to note that when i select multiple files for the copy it nearly always fails but a single will mostly work.

getting speeds b/n 8-9 MB/sec connected with cat 6.

What standard file protocol are you using?
Message 17 of 30
Argor
Aspirant

windows 7 home premium. not sure what you mean by standard file protocol
Message 18 of 30
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Like CIFS, AFP, NFS etc. I guess you're probably using CIFS. I'm not sure what'd be causing the problem though.
Message 19 of 30
Argor
Aspirant

ahh yeah CIFS is the one
Message 20 of 30
mjcairney
Aspirant

Just in case you thought I had lost interest in this thread, especially after starting it, this is just to say I have been working away from home since Sunday, with no internet access, however I am back now.

Cheers,

Martin.
Message 21 of 30
evo678
Aspirant

Re: Problems copying files to Media Folder on ReadyNAS - Help!

I'm having the exact problems described in this thread while trying to copy files to the ReadyNAS - I've tried the various methods suggested to fix and followed the thread which suggests MTU configuration changes etc but to no avail. So I'm unable at the moment to copy any files to the NAS; it happens every time - trying to copy a directory with say 12 files in , sometimes 1 file will fail, sometimes 6, but it does not go through without failures needing me to choose the "Skip" option and then manually add the missing files later. Very frustrating! 😞

My setup is as follows:
1. ReadyNas Duo with 2x 1Gb approved Seagate ST31000528AS 931 drives in ; latest version of RAIDiator 4.1.6 - this is plugged directly into the Netgear router. I've got the ReadyNAS serving music files to iTunes and to a Squeezebox boom (works fine)
2. Windows 7 Ultimate (all up to date) 32-bit version
3. Wireless network - Netgear WNDR3300 router, connect with an 11g network
4. Dell Dimension E520 desktop with a Belkin wireless G PCI card (connects with excellent signal strength, has been in use for years with no issues). I'm not in a position to (easily) connect this with a cable to the Netgear router because of the physical positions of the hardware
5. Mcaffee security centre - all up to date
6. Jumbo frames are currently switched off on the NAS - I've not tried playing with this (as I don't understand it)
7. I've tried a Laptop (Windows XP) plugged directly into the Netgear Router with the USB drive attached - some problem occurs (though the XP error message is slightly different, it still indicates the same problem)

What I have noticed:
8. I copied 100Gb of data to my NAS, using Windows Vista with no problems
9. Now I have upgraded to Windows 7 it does not want to work
10. I've copied files to an external USB hard drive, tried attaching that directly to the NAS and copying from there - same error happens
11. Looking at the NAS error log (Network->Interfaces->Show Errors) shows a large number of TCP Retransmit errors, most of which are unrecovered. Other error counts are zero
12. I've turned my anti-virus software off (MCAfee) - no difference
13. I've tried MTU settings for the wireless network connection of 1430, 1460 & 1492. The MTU on the ReadyNas has been at 1500 throughout. No noticable difference (I've re-booted the PC after each change, but not the ReadyNAS

All thoughts and suggestions very welcome!!
Many thanks, Martin
Message 22 of 30
mjcairney
Aspirant

Re: Problems copying files to Media Folder on ReadyNAS - Help!

evo678 wrote:
I'm having the exact problems described in this thread while trying to copy files to the ReadyNAS - I've tried the various methods suggested to fix and followed the thread which suggests MTU configuration changes etc but to no avail. So I'm unable at the moment to copy any files to the NAS; it happens every time - trying to copy a directory with say 12 files in , sometimes 1 file will fail, sometimes 6, but it does not go through without failures needing me to choose the "Skip" option and then manually add the missing files later. Very frustrating! 😞

My setup is as follows:
1. ReadyNas Duo with 2x 1Gb approved Seagate ST31000528AS 931 drives in ; latest version of RAIDiator 4.1.6 - this is plugged directly into the Netgear router. I've got the ReadyNAS serving music files to iTunes and to a Squeezebox boom (works fine)
2. Windows 7 Ultimate (all up to date) 32-bit version
3. Wireless network - Netgear WNDR3300 router, connect with an 11g network
4. Dell Dimension E520 desktop with a Belkin wireless G PCI card (connects with excellent signal strength, has been in use for years with no issues). I'm not in a position to (easily) connect this with a cable to the Netgear router because of the physical positions of the hardware
5. Mcaffee security centre - all up to date
6. Jumbo frames are currently switched off on the NAS - I've not tried playing with this (as I don't understand it)
7. I've tried a Laptop (Windows XP) plugged directly into the Netgear Router with the USB drive attached - some problem occurs (though the XP error message is slightly different, it still indicates the same problem)

What I have noticed:
8. I copied 100Gb of data to my NAS, using Windows Vista with no problems
9. Now I have upgraded to Windows 7 it does not want to work
10. I've copied files to an external USB hard drive, tried attaching that directly to the NAS and copying from there - same error happens
11. Looking at the NAS error log (Network->Interfaces->Show Errors) shows a large number of TCP Retransmit errors, most of which are unrecovered. Other error counts are zero
12. I've turned my anti-virus software off (MCAfee) - no difference
13. I've tried MTU settings for the wireless network connection of 1430, 1460 & 1492. The MTU on the ReadyNas has been at 1500 throughout. No noticable difference (I've re-booted the PC after each change, but not the ReadyNAS

All thoughts and suggestions very welcome!!
Many thanks, Martin

Hi, have just read your post with interest and it is obvious that you are more "ReadyNAS savvy" than I, so it is interesting to read that, no matter what you try, you still get the same errors. I think Netgear need to have a look at this problem and address it as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Martin.
Message 23 of 30
humorme201
Aspirant

Same problem on this end as well. Have 2 ReadyNAS NV+ with current firmware...copy fails are random...all hard-wired connections to the NAS devices..gigabit connections as well. Have tried numerous Operating Systems as well with same result...Would love to hear from Netgear on this one.
Message 24 of 30
mjcairney
Aspirant

I wonder if anyone knows how we draw Netgear's attention to this thread?

Cheers,

Martin.
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements