× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving home - want to secure ReadyNas contents

lazysunday07
Aspirant

Moving home - want to secure ReadyNas contents

Hello,
I am moving to a new country and will be shipping my ReadyNas with the rest of the furniture. I am contemplating if i should

a. Ship the NAS and carry the harddisks with me in checkin baggage
-or-
b. Ship the NAS and harddisks with the household goods.

Irrespective, if i go with (a) or (b) is there anyway i can secure the contents on the disks such that if the baggage/shipment is lost my content is not compromised? i.e. someone plugging in the harddrives to their computers and pulling off all the content?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 7
tiranor
Aspirant

The best solutuion is b) with a backup to an external HDD that you'll carry with you.

The a) would work, but in case you lose the NAS, I don't know if you'll be able to get the data without another Duo, which isn't sold anymore.
Message 2 of 7
lazysunday07
Aspirant

Thanks tiranor. Are you saying that if anyone takes out the hard disks from NAS and plugs-in directly to a desktop computer's SATA port .. it would not be possible to read the contents?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The duo drives are formatted with a linux file system (ext4). So you can't read them on a PC unless you install suitable software on it.
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If it's a Duo (v1) it would use EXT3. The Duo v2 uses EXT4.

You could power down the NAS remove the drives, hook them up to a Linux PC and lock them using hdparm but you would have to remember to unlock them at the other end before putting them back in your NAS.
Message 5 of 7
lazysunday07
Aspirant

Thanks for your responses. hdparm does make sense!
Message 6 of 7
ihartley
Tutor

Just take the redundant drives + 1 with you. for a Duo that would be both drives. If I were so concerned about your data being stolen then a ReadyNAS is not the right solution (IMHO)!!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements