× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS 104 OS reinstall

jdou
Aspirant

NAS 104 OS reinstall

Hi,

I think I messed it up. I was trying to do a factory reset but from the looks of it while pressing the backup button I went a step further and it is doing an OS reinstall but has been at it for teh last 36 hours or so. I know that a factory reset takes some time and am thing that I have done something wrong. What happens if I stop the OS reinstall? How long does it takes to complete this process?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NAS 104 OS reinstall

Hi jdou,

The OS reinstall procedure should not take that long to complete. Normally, it should only take a few minutes for it to complete the process. You can try forcefully shutting down the NAS.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
jdou
Aspirant

Yes I had to shut it down by unplugging it! I tried using Factory default installation and had the same problem. Someone told me it's a flash problem. How do I go about it?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@jdou wrote:

Yes I had to shut it down by unplugging it! I tried using Factory default installation and had the same problem. Someone told me it's a flash problem. How do I go about it?

You could try a USB recovery.  Though you might need paid support's help to deal with corrupt flash (my.netgear.com) - so perhaps @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V can confirm that diagnosis before you pursue it.  Another thing you might try is installing RAIDar, and see what status it reports for the NAS.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Of course the flash hardware or memory might have just failed - and the hardware isn't repairable.

This could also be disk-related, so if you have a spare disk to try, you could see if you can do a factory install on the spare (labeling the other disks by slot when you remove them).  

Message 4 of 8
jdou
Aspirant

@JohnCM_S

I tried using RAIDar. At first I found the system as shown in attachment but then refused to find it, however, I can access the folders through  the network from the folders window.

Could you please advise? I am not sure how to do a USB recovery.

@jdou wrote:

You could try a USB recovery.  Though you might need paid support's help to deal with corrupt flash (my.netgear.com) - so perhaps @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V can confirm that diagnosis before you pursue it.  Another thing you might try is installing RAIDar, and see what status it reports for the NAS.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Of course the flash hardware or memory might have just failed - and the hardware isn't repairable.

This could also be disk-related, so if you have a spare disk to try, you could see if you can do a factory install on the spare (labeling the other disks by slot when you remove them).  

Message 5 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jdou,

You may find the steps in doing the USB Boot recovery on this link.

Just to verify something, are you able to access the shares but not the admin page?

It seems that you have an older version of RAIDar installed. You may try installing the newer one, which is RAIDar 6.4, and then check if the RAIDar will still not be able to detect it.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
jdou
Aspirant

For some reason this morning I am unable to access any of the folders on NAS. In fact until yesterday evening, I had accessed the folders through the network tree from the windows fodlers but couldn't access the Admin page. I unstaled the old Raidar and installed the new version but it couldn't detect it. Then I restarted NAS and it showed up and when I scanned with RAiDar it showed up as healthy and diagnostics gave the following result. Used password to access.

Successfully completed diagnostics

System

• No errors found.

Logs

• 2019-01-11 07:13:44: BTRFS: error (device md127) in cleanup_transaction:1864: errno=-5 IO failure
Message 7 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jdou,

It appears that you opened another thread discussing about the same issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/NAS-104-Reset-problem/m-p/1689007#M...

I will be closing this thread so we can just focus on the other one.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements