× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS 516 expamded with Harddisks and then it displayed DEGRADED

zips
Aspirant

NAS 516 expamded with Harddisks and then it displayed DEGRADED

NAS 516 expamded with Harddisks and then it displayed DEGRADED:

First of all i had a HD setting of 4-4-6-6-6-4 TB WD Red HDs in XRAID mode. At first i changed the first 4TB to 6TB HD. All is OK with HD setting 6-4-6-6-6-4 TB HDs.

Then i changed the 2nd 4TB HD to 6TB. After reconfiguration the Display told DE GRADED. The NAS is function properly with their volumes.

The i changed the last 4TB Hd to 6TB HD. The last 6TB HD wasn´t included to the XRAID.

I changed the mode fron XRAID to RAID 5 Flex. Now it functioned nothing. 

What can i do to get my full NAS functionalty with all datas again?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@zips wrote:

Then i changed the 2nd 4TB HD to 6TB. After reconfiguration the Display told DE GRADED.

You should have stopped at that point.

Are your files still accessible?

Message 2 of 8
zips
Aspirant

Unfortunately not. I also get only critical access to the admin web portal.

Does it helps if i replace the last 4TB HD?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@zips wrote:

Does it helps if i replace the last 4TB HD?

Doing more manipulation with the disks will only make it worse.

@zips wrote:

Unfortunately not. I also get only critical access to the admin web portal.

What do you mean by "critical access"???

If you have no backup, you should consider using Netgear support.  You might not need data recovery, but if you do the terms of service are here: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 4 of 8
zips
Aspirant

Now i replaced the 4TB HD and all HDs (6) are in state red. (look at attached file).

Do you know any way to get my datas back?

Regarding Netgear support; How can i get them? 

I find no way to get the Netgear Support. Just only Community or FAQs.

Best regards

Message 5 of 8
zips
Aspirant

Additional about critical Netgear Admin page. I meant that after a proccdure in the admin page the web services crushes and the browser shows that it have to establish their connection again to the Neatgear admin page.

This happens approximately each 30 seconds or after a function was executed.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@zips wrote:

I find no way to get the Netgear Support. Just only Community or FAQs.

Log in at my.netgear.com.  Register your 516 if you haven't already done that.  At some point they might want proof of purchase, so it's good to attach it.

From your product page you can click on "my support", then "contact support", then "get help with my netgear product".

Note you can also purchase a data recovery contract from your product page too, but it's possible your issue can be resolved with per-incident support (which would be less expensive).

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

You made two serious errors, ignoring the warnings on both.  Making the NAS work again, if you can restore your data from backup, is .probably easy, though you still have one bad drive installed unless it happened to be the last drive you replaced. Recovering the data will not be easy (nor cheap).

When you got the DEGRADED indication, it was telling you that one of the drives had failed and you had lost redundancy.  It could have been the drive you just installed or another.  At that point, your data was intact.  But instead of determining which drive was bad and taking appropriate action to resolve the DEGRADED condition, you replaced another drive, destroying your volume.  You had a 1 in 6 chance the drive you replaced happened to be the bad one, and you lost the bet.

Unfortunately, you further ignored @StephenB's warning (and any indication by the NAS) to do no more and replaced yet another drive.  Most likely, the volume was already red and all the NAS did with the last drive is format it, as it could not re-sync.  If that's the case, you may not have done more damage with the last drive change.  But it was still not something you should have done.  Even if you didn't care about the data, you needed to first resolve the problem of the bad drive.

If you have a backup and want to just recover the NAS, we can help you here.  If you need data recovery, you're likely past Forum support and need paid Netgear support.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements