× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS Rn104 firmware 6.6.0 does not show up on Windows10 network build 1607

wecoyote01
Aspirant

NAS Rn104 firmware 6.6.0 does not show up on Windows10 network build 1607

Hi all, I've seen quite a number of problems related to this one but unfortunately not found the answer. I have a ReadyNAS104 and yesterday updated the firmware to 6.6.0. However the device does not show up as a network drive under Windows10 build 1607. It used to in the past but not anymore. What to do?

The ReadyNAS does show up as MediaDevice and Storage but not under Computer under Microsoft Explorer. This way I cannot write to the NAS or do anything usefull.

Help please !!!

Message 1 of 9
RickieAbbott
Aspirant

check and make shure your "Windows Credentials" are right,   I have this Same  RN104 on my Network it shows up in "Computer"

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

It'd be helpful to know if this is a "discovery" issue or an "access" issue.

If you try to access the NAS by entering \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-hostname in the windows file explorer address bar, do you see the share list?

Message 3 of 9
wecoyote01
Aspirant

Whoa this is all getting a bit above my tech level I'm afraid. Anyway, when I have Windows Edge open I can enter the NAS IP adres and see the thing (my NAS that is) but Edge does inform me of a security risk because of a certificate error. I thnk you're on to something here. Now how do I fix this?....

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
wecoyote01
Aspirant

Well, it appears I can see everything that's on the NAS when going through the IP adres route. However, I do get a certificate error doing this. That seems to work but why does it not show up under Network / My Computer?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you are seeing a certificate error, then you are accessing via your browser, not windows file explorer.  Perhaps you entered the //nas-ip-address by mistake (instead of \\nas-ip-address)  The direction of the slashes matters.

@wecoyote01 wrote:

Whoa this is all getting a bit above my tech level I'm afraid.d

In order for something to show up in the Windows network list, Windows has to discover the NAS on the network, and then classify it as a NAS. 

If that discovery fails, then the NAS won't show up in the list.  But that doesn't mean that you can't access the shares.

So in cases like this it is useful to know if the problem is merely discovery, or if it also is about access.

Message 6 of 9
wecoyote01
Aspirant

Thanks for the help guys. By using the IP adres in Windows Explorer I can see and access the NAS. Discovery appears to be ok then, right? Now how to get to show up under " Computer"?

Message 7 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

Map it as a drive

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@wecoyote01 wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. By using the IP adres in Windows Explorer I can see and access the NAS. Discovery appears to be ok then, right? 

Access is ok.  If Windows Discovery was working right, then it would be showing up under computer.

@wecoyote01 wrote:

Now how to get to show up under " Computer"?

You can waste a lot of time on this, and not get consistent results.  It's better to use a workaround.  Here are three:

-You can add NAS shares under "this PC" by right-clicking on the main pane and choosing "add a network location".  

-You can create a desktop shortcut on the PC that opens to \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-hostname.

-You can map a persistent network drive.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements