× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN31200 "Kernel Panic"

Chanchai
Follower

NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN31200 "Kernel Panic"

Hi NETGEAR support team,

I need your help and suggest how can I fix the Kernel Panel on RN31200 

I have try to follow your instuction to recovery my NAS  

https://kb.netgear.com/21400/RAIDiator-4-1-USB-Recovery-Tool

and download firmware RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31 and use Rawrite32 tool to setup firmware into the USB (2GB)

After that, I attached the USB and press power on button and hold this button and the system has shutdown automatic 

So I have try another buttons like reset and backup buttons is doesn't works also.

Please see the attached file.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Chanchai 

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN31200 "Kernel Panic"

@Chanchai wrote:

and download firmware RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31 and use Rawrite32 tool to setup firmware into the USB (2GB)

Yikes!  You were trying to put the wrong firmware on your NAS.  The RN312 uses 6.x firmware, not 4.2.x firmware.

The correct instructions for an RN312 are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

I can't tell from your post if you actually need to do a USB recovery though.  If you have a scratch disk, perhaps try removing your current drives, and doing a factory default from the boot menu with the scratch disk installed.  If that installs correctly (and runs OS 6.x firmware), then a USB recovery isn't needed. Instructions for doing a factory default are on page 81-82 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN31200 "Kernel Panic"

1.  This is not Netgear support.  It is a community forum, though there is participation by Netgear moderators.  It you need Netgear support, go to my.netgear.com.

2. Your problem will not likely be fixed doing a USB recovery.  It is reporting an error mounting the root partition on the drives, not in the flash.  The OS for the NAS is on the drives, the flash only provides a boot loader and a means of putting the OS on the drives.

3. You are following the instructions for the wrong model NAS, and selecting an OS image that's not compatible with the procedure you are following nor your NAS.  Your NAS runs OS6.x.

If you have a backup of your data, your best bet is a factory default and restore from backup.

If you don't have a backup, then, given how little you seem to know about your NAS, I suggest you go directly to Netgear suport.  Doing the wrong thing could make your problem way worse.

If you choose to try something anyway, an OS re-install, following the instructions for your NAS, may fix it: How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312 .  This re-writes most of the OS on the drives from flash.  It also resets the admin password to the default (password) and changes IP assignment to DHCP, if you have changed it.  Don't accidently do a factory default (unless you are doing so because you have a backup, as in my first suggestion), as that will wipe your data.

But there is a chance that won't fix it, and you'll be needing Netgear support, anyway.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements