× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ V2 stalling when 80%+ full (20047616)

pec
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: NV+ V2 stalling when 80%+ full (20047616)

:lol: Thanks
Message 151 of 198
StephenB
Guru

hauser wrote:
StephenB wrote:
Did you try right-clicking ("save as") and adding a .bin extension to the file name?

Maybe I was a bit to subtle with my post, on "4/22/2013 11:29:00 PM" I was asked to download 5.3.8-T20 and again on "5/13/2013 4:23:00 AM" I was asked to download 5.3.8-T20... didn't help the first time I downloaded/applied the firmware doubt it would help again now.
Probably support either didn't know or lost track of the fact that you'd already tried it.
Message 152 of 198
hauser1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
hauser wrote:
StephenB wrote:
Did you try right-clicking ("save as") and adding a .bin extension to the file name?

Maybe I was a bit to subtle with my post, on "4/22/2013 11:29:00 PM" I was asked to download 5.3.8-T20 and again on "5/13/2013 4:23:00 AM" I was asked to download 5.3.8-T20... didn't help the first time I downloaded/applied the firmware doubt it would help again now.
Probably support either didn't know or lost track of the fact that you'd already tried it.

yeah, but it was within the 2nd most recent update that 5.3.8-T20 was tried. was also after they asked me to confirm which updates I had applied.
I still think it's bad support to tell your client to try the exact same thing they have already done.
Message 153 of 198
hauser1
Aspirant

Well today my issue got resolved.... Full refund from place of purchase!
lets hope for others that still have one of these units you can either get the same result or hopefully netgear will resolve the issue for you in some manor however unlikely.

big thanks to the community members / mods that have helped me as much as they have been able to. will keep tabs on the thread & this account for awhile but now I'm so happy netgear is out of my life I might not keep this account active much longer, or at least not be actively engaged with it so much.
Message 154 of 198
ihartley
Tutor

I did the same. Netgear would not help and even said their software warranty days for 90 days only. Shameful!
Message 155 of 198
de_niro
Guide

ihartley wrote:
I did the same. Netgear would not help and even said their software warranty days for 90 days only. Shameful!

Hi ihartley!have you upgraded latest firmware for your NAS box?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... -5.3.8-T20
Message 156 of 198
hauser1
Aspirant

de niro wrote:
ihartley wrote:

Hi ihartley!have you upgraded latest firmware for your NAS box?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... -5.3.8-T20

ihartley no longer has his NAS box as he stated in that post.
Message 157 of 198
ihartley
Tutor

I do no longer have my NETGEAR NAS box! (I have a QNAP one that works). I was only commenting that a response I got from Netgear was that they are "a hardware vendor" and that any software is not warranted after 90 days.

Quite ridiculous since you are not buying hardware, you are buying a capability. A software company can (try) to sell you software with a licensee that says that it probably doesn't work - a hardware (with software) company cannot do the same.

For the record, I'm pretty sure there have been many reports that the patch doesn't work. If there was a single person in Netgear who really understands ext4, they could easily fix the problem. It's one thing to when you don't have the source code, the rest is easy if you do.
Message 158 of 198
hauser1
Aspirant

ihartley wrote:
I do no longer have my NETGEAR NAS box! (I have a QNAP one that works). I was only commenting that a response I got from Netgear was that they are "a hardware vendor" and that any software is not warranted after 90 days.

Quite ridiculous since you are not buying hardware, you are buying a capability. A software company can (try) to sell you software with a licensee that says that it probably doesn't work - a hardware (with software) company cannot do the same.

For the record, I'm pretty sure there have been many reports that the patch doesn't work. If there was a single person in Netgear who really understands ext4, they could easily fix the problem. It's one thing to when you don't have the source code, the rest is easy if you do.

whilst netgear say "software" warranty what about "firmware" warranty? as software you can remove and replace with 3rd party software, firmware is required for basic operation of the device. should be supported for the life of the device as the device can't function without it.
Message 159 of 198
ihartley
Tutor

For disambiguation here is the support response I received:

"We welcome the list of features that you feel are not working and we can look into this and see if we can assist but please know that the warranty is a hardware one, this does not cover software after 90 days, we can replace units if there is only a hardware fault. "

I know this to be legally flawed (UK) and morally flawed (Alpha Centauri). But that is one of the responses I received. Just a silly response, but a response nonetheless. I like companies that help, not block. Silly, silly, silly.
Message 160 of 198
chirpa
Luminary

In this case it is clearly a software flaw/limitation. They sell the whole package (hardware/software) to present a product.
Message 161 of 198
janforman
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
In this case it is clearly a software flaw/limitation. They sell the whole package (hardware/software) to present a product.

I don't understand why they are so stupid like this. Platform is ARM Kirkwood 1.6Ghz - others can use this without any problems (Synology, QNAP).
Synology have some models with 256MB RAM / 1.2Ghz ARM so this is completely Netgear fault - how is possible that they cannot FIX THAT???

Anyway I have 50MB/s write with ext3 and volumes nearly full...
Message 162 of 198
kegerdal
Aspirant

When will Netgear provide a firmware update that fixes this problem? - or will I too have to return my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 and get my money refunded?
My box has 4x3TB disks and it is not acceptable that it only can be filled 89% - that leaves almost 1 TB of unusable space!!!
From the other posts I have seen about this problem, it is obvious that the bug is in the ext4 fs software - which need to be fixed!
Message 163 of 198
hauser1
Aspirant

kegerdal wrote:
When will Netgear provide a firmware update that fixes this problem? - or will I too have to return my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 and get my money refunded?
My box has 4x3TB disks and it is not acceptable that it only can be filled 89% - that leaves almost 1 TB of unusable space!!!
From the other posts I have seen about this problem, it is obvious that the bug is in the ext4 fs software - which need to be fixed!

if you can i would advise to get a refund and get a NAS from some other manufacture as netgear don't really care about supporting their products after you've given them money. only way to make a company change is by affecting their bottom line, individually we don't do much but together and telling co-workers/friends/family/hardware forums will collectively make a difference.
Message 164 of 198
ihartley
Tutor

My replacement QNAP TS-419p II works great! Never HAD to login via SSH yet (although I have 🙂 ).

And have just installed QTS 4.0 - their latest operating system for new (and old) products. Have found a few quirky bugs, but nothing like OS6.
Message 165 of 198
kegerdal
Aspirant

According to the answer I got from de niro the 5.3.8-T20 firmware solves the problem discussed:
"Yes,this firmware with all patches merged and the solution provided by inventor of EXT FS,if this FW has no effect after upgrading,please backup all data and factory reset unit."

I am now doing a factory reset and time will show if the nas now can be filled completely.

To back up my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 data I bought me a Synology Disk Station DS413j with 4x3TB disks, and moved my ReadyNAS data to this unit.

This Synology unit was a pleasant surprice compared to my ReadyNAS: It comes with a lot of nice software, and did not have a problem to fill the unit past 90%.
Also, when I copy a video file to the unit, it is immediately available to watch on my TV. When I copy one or more video files to the ReadyNAS unit, it takes a long time before it is available to watch on my TV, and also other video files on the same unit are unavailable during this time (from my TV).
Message 166 of 198
chirpa
Luminary

5.3.8 final is available: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=71193
Message 167 of 198
Tokfan
Aspirant

I sent my NAS back to the store and just got my money back lol.
Message 168 of 198
janforman
Aspirant

Tokfan wrote:

So I have this version installed... but with ext3. I don't have problems before and don't have any now.

But what is great
a) fixed power-on (i must unplug power sometimes before)
b) fixed power scheduler (don't work sometimes)
c) kernel is newer (maybe some patches are here) Linux version 2.6.31.8.duov2 Thu Apr 18 18:24:47 HKT 2013

Anyone can confirm that problems are gone under ext4?
Message 169 of 198
hauser1
Aspirant

janforman wrote:
Tokfan wrote:

So I have this version installed... but with ext3. I don't have problems before and don't have any now.

But what is great
c) kernel is newer (maybe some patches are here) Linux version 2.6.31.8.duov2 Thu Apr 18 18:24:47 HKT 2013

with 5.3.8-T20 it still crashed before 100% full, Best I got was <10gb free before it crashed which was still unacceptable.

from what I understand 5.3.8-T20 == 5.3.8 final
Message 170 of 198
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking at the GPL 5.3.8 has some kernel patches that were not there in 5.3.7
Message 171 of 198
Tokfan
Aspirant

hauser wrote:
janforman wrote:
Tokfan wrote:

But what is great

with 5.3.8-T20 it still crashed before 100% full, Best I got was <10gb free before it crashed which was still unacceptable.

from what I understand 5.3.8-T20 == 5.3.8 final

I had 4x2Tb in xraid2 i.e. 5,4Tb free space and it didn't let me use the "last" 724Gb...
Now I'm looking at the new RN104, any1 know if it has the same shitty problem?
Message 172 of 198
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 104 has double the RAM, uses a newer kernel and the BTRFS filesystem versus the EXT4 filesystem the NV+ v2 uses. The 104 has a newer CPU but it is still an ARM one. I would recommend looking at the 314 which has a dual-core Intel Atom CPU
Message 173 of 198
ihartley
Tutor

Are these kernel patches something new, or something that has been around for ages but never rolled up in an update??
Message 174 of 198
davexyz
Aspirant

Well over six months for this fix

Anyway updated to 5.3.8 whilst in ext3
Transfered 8TB to a backup device (4 and a half days)
Factory default
Copy back 8Tb another 4 and a half days
and it worked

at the moment 176Gb free on device

What a waste of 9 days of my life for this transfer and the fact that the device should have worked in the first place. then it takes over six months to get a fix!!

I have another 3 of these devices still to update currently in ext3 but I will save that for another time I need the device which I transfered data to for storing data.
Message 175 of 198
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements