× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ won't boot with new harddrive in

sfreemanoh
Tutor

NV+ won't boot with new harddrive in

One of my drives started throwing errors a couple weeks ago, but I wanted to let it go as long as possible to see if the error count would keep climbing or not. Once I saw the errors were going to keep going, I pulled out a new HD (it was still in the plastic sleeve, completely unused previously), and installed it. Now my NAS won't boot while the new drive is, or at least it becomes unresponsive at some point during or after the boot process.

If I do a hard reset on the unit while the drive is in, I get an Unexpected reboot email alert, and usually a Resync recommended, etc. Then when I try to access my NAS, nothing. I can ping it, and the web interface comes up to the "There is a problem with this website’s security certificate." point, but when I try to continue past that, it just hangs there. However, if I take the new drive out and hard reset it, it comes up, and I can access everything.

So, my question is...what do you guys think the problem could be? A bad HD controller, or could the NAS not like this HD, even though I have another one of the same model in the NAS already, working for the past year or so? The new drive shows up when I plug it into a dock connected to one of my PC's, so it's working.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 2 of 12
sfreemanoh
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Can you email me your logs?:

Sent, and I just noticed something...odd. Under Status\Health, it's showing drive 1 as UNKNOWN 1862 GB, Status=Dead. However...that's the bad drive. And it's in a dock, not in the NAS.
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk 4 looks to be failing/bad as well.

So I would suggest backing up your data (if possible) then doing a factory default without disk 4 installed and restore your data from backup.

If backing up your data fails then cloning disk 4 may need to be attempted.
Message 4 of 12
sfreemanoh
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Disk 4 looks to be failing/bad as well.

So I would suggest backing up your data (if possible) then doing a factory default without disk 4 installed and restore your data from backup.

If backing up your data fails then cloning disk 4 may need to be attempted.

Really? I haven't gotten any SMART alerts about it. Though I believe it's one of the original drives, so that would make it probably 3+ years old... Well, crap. I don't know if I went to keep getting new drives for this thing, since I'm not really that happy with it. I've been thinking about getting a newer model, especially since I'm almost out of room on this one (only about 400GB's free). /sigh I'll have to consider my options.

Any idea what's going on with the new drive/disk 1 though?
Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sfreemanoh wrote:

Really? I haven't gotten any SMART alerts about it. Though I believe it's one of the original drives, so that would make it probably 3+ years old...

The Load Cycle Counts on your Green drives are huge (well over 1 million) so I'm guessing you probably didn't run WDIDLE3 on them.

The power on hours indicates the disks have been powered on for over 3 and 1/3 years.

One of the key SMART stats we look at is the Current Pending Sector count

***** smartctl output for hdi *****

smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [padre-linux-2.6.17.14ReadyNAS] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Green (Adv. Format)
Device Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial Number: <REMOVED BY MODERATOR>
Firmware Version: 51.0AB51
User Capacity: 2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: 8
ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is: Mon Sep 8 20:26:20 2014 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: (0x82) Offline data collection activity
was completed without error.
Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine completed
without error or no self-test has ever
been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: (36060) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
Suspend Offline collection upon new
command.
Offline surface scan supported.
Self-test supported.
Conveyance Self-test supported.
Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
power-saving mode.
Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 255) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x3035) SCT Status supported.
SCT Feature Control supported.
SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 196 196 051 Pre-fail Always - 2437
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 253 253 021 Pre-fail Always - 966
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 31
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 060 060 000 Old_age Always - 29611
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 29
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 28
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 1372797
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 118 111 000 Old_age Always - 32
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 114
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 200 200 000 Old_age Offline - 2
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 199 198 000 Old_age Offline - 447

Your count is non-zero which indicates the disk has a problem.

sfreemanoh wrote:

I don't know if I went to keep getting new drives for this thing, since I'm not really that happy with it. I've been thinking about getting a newer model, especially since I'm almost out of room on this one (only about 400GB's free). /sigh I'll have to consider my options.

Well that's up to you. I would recommend getting a newer model. The NV+ is quite old now. Note that the RAID format is different so you can't simply move disks across. You could however use e.g. backup jobs to copy the data across your network to the new NAS.

I'd still consider keeping the NV+ to use to backup important data from a new NAS.

sfreemanoh wrote:

Any idea what's going on with the new drive/disk 1 though?

Did you add the drive while the NAS was off or while it was on. I recommend adding it while the NAS is on.

Note however that if a drive is failing and the array is already not redundant then doing a resync is a bad idea as it puts heavy stress on all disks. You could encounter a dual-drive failure condition.

The best thing to do is to backup your data as the next step.
Message 6 of 12
sfreemanoh
Tutor

mdgm wrote:

Well that's up to you. I would recommend getting a newer model. The NV+ is quite old now. Note that the RAID format is different so you can't simply move disks across. You could however use e.g. backup jobs to copy the data across your network to the new NAS.

Would running a backup from the NV+ to a new NAS be any different functionally than just doing a straight file copy?

Do you have any recommendations for a new NAS? It's just for home use, but it needs a decent amount of expandability, and my NV+ already has over 5GB's on it, plus I use it extensively for streaming HD media off of, so performance is a factor (something which the NV+ never quite measured up to). I'm going to start seriously researching my options tomorrow, and I've turned off my NV+ for now to hopefully preserve it until I get a replacement.

mdgm wrote:
Did you add the drive while the NAS was off or while it was on. I recommend adding it while the NAS is on.

Note however that if a drive is failing and the array is already not redundant then doing a resync is a bad idea as it puts heavy stress on all disks. You could encounter a dual-drive failure condition.

The best thing to do is to backup your data as the next step.

I tried it while the NAS was off first, but I had no luck, so then I tried it while it was on. Still no luck though obviously. Unfortunately I don't have enough storage available outside of the NV+ to backup everything. I'm going to get anything I can't easily replace off of it for now at least, so if I DO lose the array I won't want to shoot myself. 😛
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sfreemanoh wrote:

Would running a backup from the NV+ to a new NAS be any different functionally than just doing a straight file copy?
The advantage of a backup is that it goes direct.

If you do a file copy via Windows Explorer on your PC it copies from the NV+ to your PC then onto the new NAS.
sfreemanoh wrote:

Do you have any recommendations for a new NAS? It's just for home use, but it needs a decent amount of expandability, and my NV+ already has over 5GB's on it, plus I use it extensively for streaming HD media off of, so performance is a factor (something which the NV+ never quite measured up to). I'm going to start seriously researching my options tomorrow, and I've turned off my NV+ for now to hopefully preserve it until I get a replacement.

Well I'd suggest considering e.g. the 316 or even the 516. The 6 drive bays provide greater expandability though I choose to use RAID-6 to provide some protection against dual-disk failures. It depends on what you need to do. With the 516 I can transcode (convert on the fly) 1080p video to stream to my iPad. If your clients can play back your video as is (or if you are willing to use a PC to handle the transcoding) then the 300 series should be fine.

The 300 series uses an Intel Atom CPU. The 516 uses an Intel i3 Ivy Bridge CPU.

They are much, much faster than your NV+. Your NV+ uses the same CPU and memory as a product released in February 2006. Early NAS units with gigabit could get better file transfer speeds than 100Mbit at least for reads, but could go nowhere near saturating gigabit.

If you want high performance getting a NAS with an Intel CPU is the way to go. The 300 series can transcode some low bit-rate 720p. So whilst not as good as the 516 for transcoding it can still do some. It can certainly handle remuxing audio.

Your NV+ is limited to 4x2TB drives max.

Our 300 series and 516 already have the WD RED WD60EFRX 6TB on the compatibility list.

The 716X uses a quad-core CPU and has 10GBase-T, but seeing the 516 can handle any 1080p video the 716X is overkill.
Message 8 of 12
sfreemanoh
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
sfreemanoh wrote:

The advantage of a backup is that it goes direct.

If you do a file copy via Windows Explorer on your PC it copies from the NV+ to your PC then onto the new NAS.
sfreemanoh wrote:

Well I'd suggest considering e.g. the 316 or even the 516. The 6 drive bays provide greater expandability though I choose to use RAID-6 to provide some protection against dual-disk failures. It depends on what you need to do. With the 516 I can transcode (convert on the fly) 1080p video to stream to my iPad. If your clients can play back your video as is (or if you are willing to use a PC to handle the transcoding) then the 300 series should be fine.

The 300 series uses an Intel Atom CPU. The 516 uses an Intel i3 Ivy Bridge CPU.

They are much, much faster than your NV+. Your NV+ uses the same CPU and memory as a product released in February 2006. Early NAS units with gigabit could get better file transfer speeds than 100Mbit at least for reads, but could go nowhere near saturating gigabit.

If you want high performance getting a NAS with an Intel CPU is the way to go. The 300 series can transcode some low bit-rate 720p. So whilst not as good as the 516 for transcoding it can still do some. It can certainly handle remuxing audio.

Your NV+ is limited to 4x2TB drives max.

Our 300 series and 516 already have the WD RED WD60EFRX 6TB on the compatibility list.

The 716X uses a quad-core CPU and has 10GBase-T, but seeing the 516 can handle any 1080p video the 716X is overkill.

Well, I use a 2nd PC when I'm in my office, and a WD HD Live Hub in my living room (which so far has been able to play every kind of file and encoding type I've thrown at it), so transcoding isn't really a huge concern for me. Plus, if I needed to, I could just convert whatever file won't play natively on the WD into a new format.

Basically, if it has enough storage, that'll be good enough for me. If I can run Plex on it natively, that would be icing on the cake (which it appears I can do on the 316, if this info I'm looking at is still correct). And actually, if I can host VMWare VM's on it, that would be awesome as well...I'll have to see if the 316 supports that (or worst case the 516, but I would rather not pay the extra $400 for the 516, especially since I'll also have to purchase new drives for it...all that adds up).
Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes you can run Plex Media Server on the 316 and also the 516.

The 300 series doesn't support VT-x so you can't run 64-bit VMs directly on that. However you could run a 32-bit VM.

The 516 has VT-x, however we don't support running VMs directly on the ReadyNAS (we do support using e.g. the 300 series, 516 etc. as a datastore e.g. for ESXi). There is however some info on the forums about installing Virtualbox on the 516 if you are comfortable with SSH and fixing problems if you have issues.

If you do go down the route of running VMs directly on the ReadyNAS then RAM can become important too. The 4GB in the 516 is plenty for normal NAS use. We don't support RAM upgrades but you can put 16GB (2x8GB) ECC RAM in the 516. The 716x comes with 16GB RAM.

It's also important to note that if you run VMs directly on a NAS that reduces the resources available for normal NAS tasks and may impact performance. So it could take some configuration and testing to decide how much to allocate to your VM.

An important thing with SSH hacks is to remember to store stuff on the data volume wherever possible using a config change and/or symlinks where needed. The OS partition is 4GB.
Message 10 of 12
sfreemanoh
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Yes you can run Plex Media Server on the 316 and also the 516.

The 300 series doesn't support VT-x so you can't run 64-bit VMs directly on that. However you could run a 32-bit VM.

The 516 has VT-x, however we don't support running VMs directly on the ReadyNAS (we do support using e.g. the 300 series, 516 etc. as a datastore e.g. for ESXi). There is however some info on the forums about installing Virtualbox on the 516 if you are comfortable with SSH and fixing problems if you have issues.

If you do go down the route of running VMs directly on the ReadyNAS then RAM can become important too. The 4GB in the 516 is plenty for normal NAS use. We don't support RAM upgrades but you can put 16GB (2x8GB) ECC RAM in the 516. The 716x comes with 16GB RAM.

It's also important to note that if you run VMs directly on a NAS that reduces the resources available for normal NAS tasks and may impact performance. So it could take some configuration and testing to decide how much to allocate to your VM.

An important thing with SSH hacks is to remember to store stuff on the data volume wherever possible using a config change and/or symlinks where needed. The OS partition is 4GB.

Sorry, I meant using it as a datastore, but actually running it off my server. So if both of them support being used as a datastore, that would be sufficient for my purposes (really only for testing VM's for learning and cert prep). Thanks for all the help, you've given me some really great info. I appreciate it.
Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes you can use either as a datastore. The 316 would be good for a small number of VMs.

Obviously the 516 is suitable with more VMs and the 716x with its 10GBase-T can be used with lots more again.

If you were to use it as a datastore in a production environment then it would be important to get some pre sales advice to pick the best model for your needs.

There are some settings changes recommended when using the NAS for a VM datastore.

You may wish to consider using RAID-10.

Disabling features such as Sync Writes (an option in 6.1.9) if using iSCSI would help performance.

Using Thick LUNs would be preferred.

You may also wish to disable snapshots for the share or LUN you use for the datastore.

It does depend on how much you value performance vs protection for your data.

Regardless of which features you use, if your VMs are important to you then you should backup the VMs.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements