× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Generic Support Guidance on a Failed NVX PSU #25023417

lowbit
Tutor

NVX Failed Power Supply: How to Migrate to a new ReadyNAS

My trusty NVX's power supply recently failed and I am trying to figure out what to do next.

Option 1: I contacted support who replied with this when I asked what/where I could obtain a new PSU.

"You may buy the power supply to any electronic store on your local area. We do apologized for the inconvenience NETGEAR doesn't sell any spare part of the NAS, we can only replace the unit if its under hardware warranty.

You may check and the same specs showed on your power supply as your guide.

I checked the manual and here's the specs that you may consider.

Electrical:
• 120W server-rated AC power supply
• Input: 100 to 240V AC, 50/60Hz"

I've seen various posts about wiring differences between a general ATX PSU and the one the NVX uses. Is there an actual PSU you can buy that does not require wiring mods? Not to mention the lack of physical size considerations. I think NETGEAR could up usefulness of support for legacy models if they want to retain customers. This interaction didn't exactly make me excited to buy into the current ReadyNAS generation.

Option 2: Upgrade to a ReadyNAS 314. Can I move my disks from the NVX to the 314 and retain the data? I realize the RAIDator version is a big jump from the NVX to the 314 (4.x -> 6.x) and I have seen posts that indicate massive failure to it sort of works to access existing data. Is there any definitive documentation/posts as to how to successfully migrate data from these models?

Thanks!

--
Matthew
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think the NVX uses the same PSU as the NV+ (v1). There is a spare power supply for this available on Amazon.

A standard PSU can be rewired (http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf) but it may be the wrong size to fit in the chassis.

Regarding Option 2: The 314 can be used to recover the data (you could use the 316 or the 516 if you prefer - just needs to be an OS6 ReadyNAS with sufficient drive bays and an Intel CPU). Assuming the disks, array and volume are fine (hopefully they will be) this is straightforward. I recommend

1. Put scratch disk (must not be from your array) in the 314.
2. Update the 314 to 6.2.3 Beta (there is a fix for migrating disks from a very old version of RAIDiator x86 in this firmware): http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=154
3. Migrate the disks across (Keeping the order the same).
4. Power on the NAS normally
5. Some things may display incorrectly (OS4.2.x does not expect OS6 hardware) but you should be able to access your data (see RAIDar or the LCD on the front of the NAS for the I.P.) and copy your data off.
6. Verify your backup is good
7. Do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything)
8. Restore your data from backup
Message 2 of 10
lowbit
Tutor

Thanks @mdgm! This is what I was hoping to find out regarding migrating to the current generation. I'll give this a go and report back. I've nothing important not backed up but I hate to lose data regardless.

Cheers.
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's important that if the above procedure does not work for you that you power down and don't try something else without first seeking some advice.
Message 4 of 10
lowbit
Tutor

Roger that @mdgm. Thanks.
Message 5 of 10
lowbit
Tutor

So I just got a diskless 314 but it seems to be DoA. When I power it on, the power button lights up and the fan comes on full blast. I see the display blink once (sometimes) but nothing else. The unit then just runs like that. I see the same behavior if there is a disk installed or not. I tried getting to the boot menu, but was unable to or if it did, I couldn't tell as the display never lit up.

Sounds like a return is in order. If there something else I can troubleshoot?

--
Matthew
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like that unit is DoA yes. Have you tried a different power outlet?
Message 7 of 10
lowbit
Tutor

Yep. Got a return setup with the vendor.
Message 8 of 10
msd
Luminary
Luminary

The biggest Hassle about the PSU is the size. I have swapped a NV+ into an NVX without issue. One can use a Generic PC PSU but it will look ugly being larger. It works though and handy as a Spare.

One just needs to adjust the PINS (which was easy). A case of looking at original Layout and then adjusting the new PSU to be the same. Worked fine for me.
ReadyNAS PSU pinout: http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf
Here is a Guide on Improvised ReadyNAS NV Power Supply http://www.freakent.co.uk/2013/12/25/improvised-readynas-nv-power-supply/
Message 9 of 10
lowbit
Tutor

I just wanted to followup and say that I followed mdgm's instructions and my new non-DoA 314 was able to boot off my old NVX array without issue. I pulled off the data I needed and am now in the process of setting up the new array.

Thanks again.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements