× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

@Netgear Moderators: Connecting ReadyNAS on OS6 to ups turns on the disk write cache? Please clarify

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Netgear Moderators: Connecting ReadyNAS on OS6 to ups turns on the disk write cache? Please clarify

Dear Netgear moderators, please be so kind to clarify on the issue:

Does connecting a ReadyNAS running OS6 to a ups turn on the disk write cache?

Simple answer YES or NO would be preferred.

However as the ReadyNAS population is very heterogenous the answer might not be that simple, in which case you are more than welcome to be a bit more verbose. Thank you very much in advance.

@BretD, @Marc_V ,@JohnCM_S, and whomelse it may concern

@Sandshark, @StephenB,

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: @Netgear Moderators: Connecting ReadyNAS on OS6 to ups turns on the disk write cache? Please ...

Hi @RolandWausE

NO, it should not turn on Disk Write Cache. Though it is advise to have a UPS connected when enabling this option on Legacy NAS (Ultra, Pro, NVX) but this should not turn on automatically when a UPS has been connected on the NAS. See Optimizing System Performance.

With OS6 this option is not available anymore, so this is not applicable. We can say there is nothing being enabled when a UPS is connected

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: @Netgear Moderators: Connecting ReadyNAS on OS6 to ups turns on the disk write cache? Please ...

Hi @RolandWausE

NO, it should not turn on Disk Write Cache. Though it is advise to have a UPS connected when enabling this option on Legacy NAS (Ultra, Pro, NVX) but this should not turn on automatically when a UPS has been connected on the NAS. See Optimizing System Performance.

With OS6 this option is not available anymore, so this is not applicable. We can say there is nothing being enabled when a UPS is connected

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick answer, @Marc_V.

Your response is somewhat indicating, that under OS6

(1) by default the disk write cache is NOT enabled. Please confirm.

(2) you know a way to manually enable it. Please share your knowledge how this is done.

Furthermore, if my assumption (1) is true, I would like to understand how the disk write cache on my ReadyNAS (had three so far) became enabled. I did not do that manually, but hooked them all up to ups. The kernel.log is showing strings like "[sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled".

My explanation: It is either switched on by default after the initial setup, or some other action (hooking up nas to ups?) did the trick. Can you shed a light on that?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements