× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network Issue between ReadyNAS and Router (AVM FritzBox 7490)

toby30938
Aspirant

Network Issue between ReadyNAS and Router (AVM FritzBox 7490)

Hi there,

we recently moved from an "old" Ultra2+ towards RN312. Migration was fine.

But we have a major issue with our internet connection (Router is an AVM FritzBox) now. The connection runs well for around 9hours and then brakes every 2-3 min. It must be related to the RN312 somehow, because when we shutdown the 312 the connection ist fine again for the 8-9 hours. I can´t find anything in the logs from the 312 or the router which leads me to solve the problem. Right now i do an automatic shutdown/ restart in the morning. 

Any idea concerning that topic?

Cheers

Tobias 

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?  Also, can you list the services and apps that are enabled/installed?

You might also try disabling IPv6 in the NAS

Message 2 of 16
toby30938
Aspirant

Firmware is newest available, 7.5.something afaik?! There are no apps at all installed, no antivirus enabled, no IPv6 enabled (also disabled on the router). Services only smb, http, https, nothing else. I tried to elimate all possible causes, but nothing I could think of helped.

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You must mean 6.7.5 (current production release).

ReadyCloud is also off?

These traffic bursts are unusual.  The NAS will sync with the NTP server from time to time, and it will occasionally try to update from Netgear repositories (which is silent, and doesn't change the firmware version).

You could try removing all DNS servers, or possibly try misconfiguring the gateway IP - both would prevent the NAS from reaching the internet, but keep it on your local network.

Message 4 of 16
toby30938
Aspirant

Yes, i confirmed it´s 6.7.5.

ReadyCloud is off.

I even don´t know if it is some kind of traffic burst, since i can´t see any unusual usage on the router logs. The NAS is not syncing with an ntp, since i forced to sync time with the router, it provides a time server as well. I used the standard time server sync from netgear before, no difference.

I will try the option preventing the NAS reaching iNet. Will come back with results.

Is there an easy solution to "sniff" the network traffic between the NAS and router? Kind of wireshark? Or put the interface in promiscuous mode? 

Just to mention: I connected the NAS direktly to the Port of the Router without any other devices. So there can´t be any other interference from the rest of the network...

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@toby30938 wrote:

Is there an easy solution to "sniff" the network traffic between the NAS and router? Kind of wireshark? Or put the interface in promiscuous mode? 

No. If you have a smart switch you can mirror the port, and do a wireshark trace that way.

It would be handy sometimes to take a packet trace within the NAS (and download it later).

Message 6 of 16
Hopchen
Prodigy

You could use tcpdump to sniff the traffic. You just need to install and use through command line.

apt-get install tcpdump

As long as you are comfortable with the cli 🙂

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I was just thinking an app to take a trace might be handy sometimes.  tcpdump is probably the right tool, since it outputs via pcap

Message 8 of 16
toby30938
Aspirant

Latest update. I switched the gateway to something stupid and it worked out the whole weekend. So it looks to me, that something from the 312 is messing up the router. I can leave it that way for some time, but a long term solution would be nice 🙂

Anyhow, thanks for the hint. I would not have thought of it...

Message 9 of 16
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello toby30938,

When you say I switched the gateway to something stupid and it worked out the whole weekend. What exactly did you change? Is the NAS on static ip address or on DHCP? 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 16
toby30938
Aspirant

Hi, IP is Static. I just changed the Gateway and DNS IP to values outside our adressrange.
Message 11 of 16
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello toby30938,

For the DNS address it is ok to use other DNS address but for the gateway it should be the gateway of the network. There is a possibility that this time you managed to set the correct gateway address.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Marty_M wrote:

For the DNS address it is ok to use other DNS address but for the gateway it should be the gateway of the network. There is a possibility that this time you managed to set the correct gateway address.

The idea here was to deliberately prevent the NAS from accessing the internet.  Per the first post, something was creating an issue with the OPs overall internet service.  He suspected the NAS, and turned it off.  The problem disappeared.  The next step was to intentionally misconfigure the DNS server and gateway, so the NAS couldn't access the internet - leaving the NAS running.  The problem is still gone.  So it would appear that the NAS is doing something that is creating congestion or otherwise stressing the internet service.

@toby30938 - I think a good step now is to configure the DNS and gateway correctly, and see if the problem starts up again.  That will confirm that it's caused by something on the NAS.

Message 13 of 16
toby30938
Aspirant

I will do that as soon as I am back from my holiday next week. So far there where no further complains from my colleagues about the behavior of the NAS. Still with misleading DNS and gateway address. 

Once bevor I did a test with the correct values, after the typical 9h the NAS then started again breaking the internet connection, so I do not think it will make a difference this time. Will try anyway and come back to you then.

Greetings

Toby

Message 14 of 16
toby30938
Aspirant

Here I am again 🙂 I switched the gateway adress to the valid values and after 9h guess what happens? The internet connection breaks again and again every 2 minutes...

The DNS adress I left still empty.

It starts to become really annoying since I can not use the 316 the way I need to use it. I have another ReadyNAS Ultra2 at another location which I use as backup für the 316. The backup runs between the two systems via VPN connection (both subnets are connect). Since the 316 does not have a gateway this is not working any more.

Since we seem to know what the problem, any idea how to fix it longterm? 

Greetings

Toby

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

It's possible that the logs might help you figure out what's generating the activity. 

Do you have a spare SATA disk?  If so, maybe try removing the current disks (labeling by slot) and doing a fresh factory install onto the spare. Then see if the clean system has the same behavior.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements