× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New disk failed after sync. How do I recover?

network23
Aspirant

New disk failed after sync. How do I recover?

ReadyNAS NV+

I had 3 1TB disks and was doing an upgrade to 3 2TB disks.

Over 2 days, I replaced a disk a night, letting it sync overnight.

Last night I replaced the final 1TB drive. Eight hours later the drive was synced. I chose to wait until the next night to reboot the NAS to do the expansion, knowing it would take several hours.

It had been working fine all day, but when I went to reboot using Raidar, I discovered this message:

Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 3. If the failed disk is used in a RAID level 1, 5, or X-RAID volume, please note that volume is now unprotected, and an additional disk failure may render that volume dead.

I went ahead and rebooted but it never got past the Rebooting... message. So, I hotswapped the 3rd drive with the 1TB drive I had in there before. After a short while, I got this message:

Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon

Now the logs say:

Sun Feb 24 23:40:16 CST 2013 RAID sync started on volume C.
Sun Feb 24 23:41:45 CST 2013 System is up.

And the 3rd disk light is flashing but I can still access my shares. According to the Health screen, disk 3's status is "Resync".

What's going on and what should I do?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 36
cloud1
Aspirant

Re: New disk failed after sync. How do I recover?

Because you hotswapped the original disk3, system will format data in it and start sync to it again.
Message 2 of 36
cloud1
Aspirant

I think the problem is with the new disk3, you can use a disk tool to test it. If you want to upgrade the volume, you need to put a fine 2T disk on bay3.
Message 3 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Are there any free disk tools anyone can recommend?
Message 4 of 36
StephenB
Guru

Start with Vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital). If you also want to browse the SMART parameters, you can use Acronis Disk Monitor.

All of these require Windows.
Message 5 of 36
network23
Aspirant

It's a Seagate drive, so i'll get those tools.

Should I plug the questionable drive into my Windows PC and run the tools on it there?
Message 6 of 36
StephenB
Guru

network23 wrote:
Should I plug the questionable drive into my Windows PC and run the tools on it there?
Yes. My laptop has an eSATA connection, so I generally use the power output from my SATA->USB adapter, and a SATA->eSATA cable.

If you have a SATA->USB adapter kit, you can use that. Or connect it to an internal SATA slot (and power). SATA would be faster of course.
Message 7 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Well, I finally had a chance to run all the tests, and SeaTools said it passed them all.

What should I do now?
Message 8 of 36
StephenB
Guru

While drive 3 us in the PC, it is worth looking at the SMART stats. For instance with Acronis Drive Monitor.

What model Seagate disk, and what firmware is it running?
Message 9 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Is there an easy way to cut and paste those SMART stats from Acronis? All the stats say OK, but is there something in particular I should be looking for?

The drive is a Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164, Barracuda 2TB drive, just purchased.

If FW on the drive label means Firmware, then the version is CC26.

Thanks!
Message 10 of 36
StephenB
Guru

Reallocated sectors, current Pending Sector Count, Uncorrectable sector count are the most important. (

Command timeouts are also worth noting.

You can check for firmware updates here: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html

Note you will need the drive serial number in addition to the model.

You might also be interested in googling ST2000DM001 site:readynas.com
Message 11 of 36
network23
Aspirant

I'll post that information later today.

As for googling the drive on readynas, I'll do that, but it is on the compatibility list, so I wouldn't think I had to do that.
Message 12 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Okay, so for this drive that failed in the NAS...

Raw Value Value Threshold Status
Reallocated Sectors = 0 100 10 OK
Current Pend Sect Count = 0 100 0 OK
Uncorrectable Sect Count = 0 100 0 OK
Command Timeout = 0 100 0 OK

The Seagate site says "No newer firmware available"
Message 13 of 36
network23
Aspirant

So, from everything I'm reading, the drive appears to be okay.

Any ideas why it failed in the NAS?

Should I return it for a replacement?
Message 14 of 36
StephenB
Guru

My only idea is that it failed because it is ST2000DM001-1CH164 - and despite being on the HCL, lots of folks have trouble with them.
Message 15 of 36
network23
Aspirant

That worries me, because I've bought 3 of them to replace the drives I had in my NV+. Two of them are in there already. I only had problems with the last one.
Message 16 of 36
StephenB
Guru

Personally I've switched to WDC red drives.

If you can do an exchange with the reseller, that might be one option. That is, leave the working drives alone, and exchange the non-working one for a WD20EFRX.
Message 17 of 36
kossboss
Guide

We Replace disks at 50 Reallocated Sectors or above, and at above 1 ATA error. Thats if you purchased NAS with disks.
It could be a bad slot - Try the following.
(1)
If you have a known good disk that is compatible with the NAS. Turn the NAS off. Take out all disks and remember their order. Put in that 1 disk in that slot. Go to Factory Default it throught the Boot Menu (http://www.kossboss.com/rnasbootmenu). Dont worry about factory defaulting - I wouldnt have you do something that would hurt your data - the config is on your old disks that are sitting out of the NAS.NOTE: Factory defaulting with 1 known good drive in 1 slot should take no more than 10 to 15 minutes.Anyhow after the boot menu Once you select Factory Default open up RAIDAR and hit rescan until you seee that NAS with the bold Setup comment on the right most column. Press Setup button and do XRAID and hit Apply. If the NAS comes up with that disk we know the slot is good and the disk that you had problems with is bad
To bring NAS back in the way it was: Turn off NAS, Put in all the good disks back in NAS in same order, questionable disk on the Side - not in the nas. Turn NAS on - voila there is your old setup - as if you never did a factory default

(2)
Take that disk connect up to PC and run Comprehensive Diagnostic with the manufacturers tools - SeaTools

(3)
Turn off NAS, take disks out remember order. Take questionable disk and put it in known good slot. Factory Default thru boot menu. Go to Raidar, hit rescan once you see nas, hit Setup. Do XRAID if it works it works the disk is good the slot is bad.
To bring NAS back in the way it was: Turn off NAS, Put in all the good disks back in NAS in same order, questionable disk on the Side - not in the nas. Turn NAS on - voila there is your old setup - as if you never did a factory default

If you come to the conclusion the slot is bad call in support so we can check warranty and RMA the chassis.
If you come to the conclusion the disk is bad call in support if that disk came with your NAS - if not buy new disk or call disk manufacturer for RMA
Message 18 of 36
StephenB
Guru

kossboss wrote:
...If you have a known good disk that is compatible with the NAS...
That is the question at the end of the day: Is the ST2000DM001 really compatible with the NAS? Yes, it's on the HCL. But it seems obvious that the Netgear testing did not (and does not) include all the drive submodels.

Kossboss - he's already gone down the seatools route. I agree it is reasonable (though tedious) to test the various NAS slots.

network23 - if you want to do this, you can skip kossboss' step 2, since seatools already is known to pass.
Message 19 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Do you think there is any point to putting it back into the NAS and see if it works a second time?
Message 20 of 36
StephenB
Guru

network23 wrote:
Do you think there is any point to putting it back into the NAS and see if it works a second time?
Well I wouldn't put it back with your existing RAID array - there is too much risk.

Trying it by itself (all other drives removed with the power down) would let you see if the problem only happens when the disk is plugged into slot 3, or if it happens in all slots. To be certain, you'd have to confirm that it fails in slot 3 (with other slots empty) by doing a factory default with the drive in that slot. And then do it again in other slots (particularly slot 1).

Kossboss is thinking that sometimes the NAS hardware fails so that one slot doesn't work at all (or doesn't work reliably). In that case, you'd be entitled to a replacement unit. It is a possibility.
Message 21 of 36
network23
Aspirant

kossboss,

Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post. The forum was showing no replies after my comment on the 5th. Now they are there. :?

I'm willing to test the slot, but first here is/was my setup...

I have always had been using the 3 slots, just upgrading to larger drives to increase capacity.
Up until 2 weeks ago, I had this setup:

Slot 1 - 1TB drive
Slot 2 - 1TB drive
Slot 3 - 1TB drive

Two weeks ago, I started replacing the drives one by one, letting them resync each time. So when I reached the 3rd drive, it was like this:

Slot 1 - 2TB drive
Slot 2 - 2TB drive
Slot 3 - 1TB drive

I then replaced the drive in Slot 3 with the Seagate. It resynced overnight and reported success the next morning. That evening, RAIDAR reported the drive as failed.

So, for years, I've been using that slot...ever since buying the NV+ back in 2007.

Based on that knowledge, if you still think it might be a bad slot, let me know and I will do the test you recommend. I just wanted to make sure you weren't thinking I was using the slot for the first time.

Thanks!
Message 22 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Also, FYI, after the failure, I put the original 1TB drive back in slot 3 (I had not power-cycled the NV+ yet, so it hadn't run through the expansion process yet), which resynced and everything is running fine at:

Slot 1 - 2TB
Slot 2 - 2TB
Slot 3 - 1TB
Message 23 of 36
StephenB
Guru

Ok. It's not the slot, and the drive passes Seatools.

Can you still return it to the reseller, or do you need to go through Seagate?
Message 24 of 36
network23
Aspirant

Yes, in fact I already have the RMA. I will send it off to them tomorrow. I also ordered a WD RED drive which should get here in a few days.

Thanks for all the help!
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements