× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No IP Address Readynas 214

soty5083
Aspirant

No IP Address Readynas 214

I have a 214 Readynas that boots up but does not get an ip address. I am trying to find a way to access the information on it without having an ip address but am running short on finding any solutions. I do not want to factory reset it as I will erase all the information on it. Is their a way to fix this issue so it gets an ip address? I have powered it off and on with no luck. I have tried both ports with no luck. Hopefully I can get some help that will fix this issue. A lot of the other forums didnt come up with an answer.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

What IP address is RAIDar seeing?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 17
soty5083
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, none of the applications including raidar are working to get information on my NAS.

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Are you seeing any useful status on the LCD screen?

Message 4 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

The NIC runs off the +3.3VSB internal voltage, which is always on, and I have heard of issues with that (I have one I  bought for parts that sufers from it.  The power-on circuit also runs from that.  Are you also seeing any issues with power-on or power-off?

Do you see any LED activity at the NIC connector (including during start-up)?

Try unplugging the NAS from the power supply and leave it that way for several minutes, then plug it in and see what happens.  If it comes online, then you've probably got a situation where the hardware is on it's last legs and you should insure your backup is up to date so you can consider moving to a new NAS.  With new ReadyNAS pretty much unavailable, your'e going to have to go with another brand unless you want to deal with a used unit.

Message 5 of 17
soty5083
Aspirant

Hello,

The screen says its 80% free of space, NAME no IP address, and push again to shut down. When i power down the machine it pops a do_exit+4d8 error on it and does not shut down. I am not sure what that means.

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@soty5083 wrote:

When i power down the machine it pops a do_exit+4d8 error on it and does not shut down. I am not sure what that means.

It is crashing at that location.

Message 7 of 17
soty5083
Aspirant

It just sits there and hangs. The only way to shut it down is the unplug it from the back and then plug it back in. It will power up then but still produces no ip address.

Message 8 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@soty5083 wrote:

It just sits there and hangs. The only way to shut it down is the unplug it from the back and then plug it back in. It will power up then but still produces no ip address.

Can you boot it up in tech support mode?

Message 9 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@soty5083 wrote:

When i power down the machine it pops a do_exit+4d8 error on it and does not shut down. I am not sure what that means.

It is crashing at that location.

Actually, it should shut down before it displays that.  This is all typical of a +3.3VSB problem within the NAS.  Unfortunately, there is no fix.  I purchased a 214 with exactly that problem, mostly for parts, but also to see if I could find the source of the problem.  With no schematic, I had no luck finding it other than confirming it is the +3.3VSB.

Message 10 of 17
soty5083
Aspirant

What is the tech mode?

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@soty5083 wrote:

What is the tech mode?

It's one of the boot menu options.  Netgear can use to to log in remotely, but it is also possible to get into the NAS locally using telnet.

One question is whether you'd get an IP address for NAS if you booted up this way.

See pages 58-59 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 12 of 17
soty5083
Aspirant

I can get into the boot menu but I do not get an ip address. Is there anything else I can do? I am sure I can factory reset it and it will give me everything back but it will erase my data.

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@soty5083 wrote:

I am sure I can factory reset it and it will give me everything back but it will erase my data.

I'm not so sure.

If you have a spare disk, you can power down, remove all the disks (labeling by slot), and then do the factory reset with just the spare installed.  Then see if you get an IP address.

Message 14 of 17
soty5083
Aspirant

I apologize for the late reply but I have tried tech mode and no luck still can not get an IP address. Is there any way I can get that data off the disks besides through the network connection?

Thanks

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@soty5083 wrote:

Is there any way I can get that data off the disks besides through the network connection?

If you can connect the disks to a linux PC, you can manually mount the data volume.  There is beta-level open-source for Windows (mdadm and btrfs) that some have also used with success.

If you can find another OS-6 ReadyNAS (used or new), the disks can be migrated to it.  That can be either an Arm model (RN10x, RN20x, RN21x) or an x86 model (RN31x or higher).

Message 16 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you tried the experiment @StephenB suggested using a scratch drive and creating a new volume on (just) it?  If that still doesn't work to get it an IP address, then that confirms it's a hardware issue.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements