× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Power after Shutdown Pro Buiness

morgo
Aspirant

No Power after Shutdown Pro Buiness

I have an older Readynas Pro Business that has been running flawlessly for years.

Today we had a power outage. When the power came back online, the readynas did not start up and would not start with the power button. Everything else connected on the same power board re-started no problem. The power has gone off before but the readynas has always just re-started no problem.

I've tried a different power socket, different power cable, re-setting etc but there doesn't appear to be any power. I'm no expert but would guess that the power supply is the issue. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check the power supply? Or if there is a fuse within the power supply or if it can be re-set?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also does anyone know of a service centre here in London that services Readynas?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like it is probably a power supply issue. If you remove the power supply you may see some signs that it has failed.

The ReadyNAS Pro Business has a 5 year warranty so if you purchased the unit within the past 5 years you should contact NetGear Support ASAP.

If you purchased the unit over 5 years ago you may wish to see e.g. http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=421391#p421391 (If you can get the same parts in the U.K. then you could replace the power supply). If not comfortable with replacing it yourself a PC repair shop might be willing to do it for you.
Message 2 of 7
morgo
Aspirant

Thanks for the response / info,

I've looked back at my e-mails and I bought the ReadyNAS back home in Australia in 2008, so no warranty left. No complaints as from a hardware perspective it's been flawless.

I removed the PSU, there are no obvious signs that it's blown. But when it's connected, it's completely dead. I tried the paper clip test and still dead, so it's still my best guess.

I've managed to source an alternative power supply here in the UK. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/cpd/5383940/

I've also found a 24 pin extension cable, so in a couple of days I should be good to see if it works.

Now while it's down I might look at upgrading the RAM and seeing if there are any other upgrades available?

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If a replacement PSU fixes it then you might wish to upgrade the memory. There are threads about this.

There's even a thread about CPU upgrades: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284
Message 4 of 7
morgo
Aspirant

Thanks,

I have located some RAM that looks to fit the bill per some other posts that I will grab if the power supply works. I won't tackle a CPU upgrade at this stage.

Is it possible to upgrade to OS 6 on the Pro?

If the power supply doesn't fix the issue I'll probably look at upgrading. Can disks be transferred to an OS 6 system (probably a 516), or do I need to start again? I have multiple external backups (I've been caught before) so starting from scratch wouldn't be a major issue.

Cheers,
Message 5 of 7
morgo
Aspirant

Thought I'd post an update.....

The new, alternative, power supply and extension cable arrived today. It is physically the same size as the original, minus the protruding fan housing, even the mounting screw holes lined up. So it was a simple matter to install it. I then started the ReadyNAS with no disks and all appeared OK, so I shutdown, inserted the 6 x disks and powered up. The system booted, ran through several Check FS sequences, appeared OK then shutdown. The logs told me disks 4,5 and 6 were overheating so the system shutdown to protect itself from damage (nice to know).

Anyway I'm not sure if running the system with covers off, or not seating the drives correctly was the issue. I replaced the covers, re-seated the drived, FIRMLY, and re-started. It's now running like a charm with the temps back to normal.

So I've ordered some extra RAM to hopefully get a bit of a performance boost.

Job done! Thanks for your help.
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's a long running thread on running OS6 (on e.g. the Pro): http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70133

However some users have reported fan control issues when running OS6 on a Pro.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements