× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Share Access (1 out of 3 PCs)

GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

No Share Access (1 out of 3 PCs)

Hey folks... I just got the 104 last night, plugged in two drives, and let it rebuild overnight, after updating to firmware 6.0.8 from 6.0.4. I've tried searching around the forums for folks with the issue, and can't seem to see anything pertinent.

When the system was still configured for anonymous access (ie, out of box config), I was able to see the default shares (Music, Documents, etc.) from a Win8 and a Win7 PC (machines A and B). However, there is another Win8 PC (Machine C) that I do the admin work (RAIDar, etc) that I cannot see the shares through either WinExplorer or IE/Chrome. When I attempt to connect to \\192.168.0.184\ , I wait, and get a popup asking me to select a certificate. This list of three certs includes my Windows Phone cert, one for "IDVault" issued by WhiteSky Inc, and a third cert issued by "Token Signing Public Key." Selecting any of these asks me to install a certificate, which I have not done, since it doesn't seem right.

When I attempt to use Machine C to browse the network for the NAS, and double click on it, I eventually get an error that "Windows Cannot Access \\NAS-Primary" "Error code 0x80070035 The Network Path was not found".

Machines A and C are in the same homegroup. Machine B is a member of a domain (my work laptop).
Machine C only has the IP of the NAS in the trusted list. I still get the cert popups.
Machines A and C are both connected to the same wireless network, marked as "Private" (not public) Machine B is plugged into the same switch as the NAS.
Machines A and C BOTH have Norton 360/Security Suite installed. I cannot mess with the firewall configuration on either one, as windows reports that Norton is managing FW settings, and the firewall settings option in Norton is greyed out.
Machines A and C are both signed in with Microsoft Live accounts.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking that you likely didn't install any certificates installed on the ReadyNAS. Is that correct?
Message 2 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

Correct. The certificate problem is only an annoyance issue, the lack of explorer based connectivity from one of the WIn8 PCs is the real problem.
Message 3 of 20
dsm1212
Apprentice

Try this:

Open up "System" from the Control Panel.

Under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" click the "Change settings" link, located at the right next to an administrator shield icon.

On the first tab "Computer name", click the button that says "Network ID..." This opens up a window with only two choices.

Select "This is a home computer; it's not part of a business network". Click finish and let windows restart itself.

If that one computer somehow to set to a business network you will get what you are seeing so it's worth checking.

steve
Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Did you confirm the IP address?

Maybe also look in the Windows certificate manager. Maybe there is something in there for the .184 address that shouldn't be.

I don't see how the home/work network classification would cause certificates to pop up.

Steve
Message 5 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

I have searched the Machine certificates, nothing matches 192.168.0.184. In my personal certificate store I see the same three certificates I mentioned above.
I have confirmed that Machine C is only a member of "WORKGROUP" and not of any domain.

The IP address is confirmed, as machines A-C are all on the same subnet with the NAS, and two out of the three can see it fine. Machine C can see the box (it shows up in Network Neighborhood), and will even prompt me for authentication, but I still can't touch the shares. It's important to note that I still could *not* access the device when I was allowing anonymous connections. Now that I've switched to authenticated users, I can map shares from two out of three of the machines.

The box I'm having trouble with is Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. If it makes any difference, I do have VirtualBox installed on the problem machine, but it's also on Machine B, which has no trouble accessing the NAS.
Message 6 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

Also, is there anything I should be looking for in the event logs? Perusing System and App logs doesn't appear to turn up any Error or Critical stuff that is pertinent.
Message 7 of 20
dsm1212
Apprentice

I believe inconsistent business/home settings can cause the home stuff to not show up on the business machine (I agree this shouldn't have anything to do with certficates). I had this stuff not showing up thing a few months ago in my house with some new systems. One system required this first change under Network ID and another one had a different issue with the same symptom. Very annoying :-). I think the link that helped me fix that one is here: http://www.eightforums.com/network-shar ... erver.html. That machine had the lanmgr authentification level defined as mentioned in the link and I cleared that to fix it. I didn't have to change the 128bit encryption setting mentioned in that link.

steve
Message 8 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I am wondering what workgroup the RN104 is in. (network->authentication is where that is set).
Message 9 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

The business machine *CAN* see the NAS. As far as putting the NAS in a workgroup, I don't even know where that setting is, so it is set as whatever it shipped with.
Message 10 of 20
dsm1212
Apprentice

Oh, you really should put the nas into the workgroup. I've got a pro-6 and the setting is under security->security mode, but StephenB said above it is under network->authentication so that is probably right for a RN104.
Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

dsm1212 wrote:
Oh, you really should put the nas into the workgroup. I've got a pro-6 and the setting is under security->security mode, but StephenB said above it is under network->authentication so that is probably right for a RN104.
I checked the setting location on my RN102 before I posted 😄

My system was set to to "VOLUME", which is probably the default.
Message 12 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

I figured out the problem, but not the long term solution. On Machine C, since it's my daily use PC, I removed admin rights from myself months ago. When log in as the admin account, I can see the NAS shares fine.

So short of making my normal account an admin again, what do I do? I tried opening explorer in Admin mode, and all that changes is that I get an "unspecified error" (0x80004005) and the error message comes up much quicker.
Message 13 of 20
LJC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone tell me where the Workgroup setting is in 6.1.1? The only thing I see under "Network" is a picture of the NIC and there is no workgroup setting when you go into the specifics for it. Help!
Message 14 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Its under "accounts" - on the authentication tab.
Message 15 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

So, here's what I've done in the last two weeks, because my primary account is still the only account that can't access the NAS through Windows Explorer. The local admin and my wife's account on the "bad" computer work just fine. I've deleted my account profile and recreated. Same problem. I've refreshed the PC, same problem. I just wiped it completely, gave the PC a different name, changed the IP address of the NAS, and switched out the router that provides DHCP. Same thing.

Unspecified error, followed by a request to install a certificate. I guess people must just send their NASs back rather than go to the trouble I've gone through. Is that my next step, to switch NAS brands?
Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

DId you contact support?

Also, your wife's account does not have administrative access and it works ok??? Is there a share on the NAS that matches your Windows user name?
Message 17 of 20
GeauxTigersGeau
Aspirant

She's not an admin. I only created shares underneath the default folders (Documents, with subfolders "husband" and "Wife",etc.) I can't even see the shares at all from my account.

It is for sure a problem with my account... I went to a different Win 8 computer in the house, logged in with my user@live.com account, and could not see the NAS shares. When I switch to even a guest user on the machine (or my wife's account), I can see everything fine.

I haven't submitted a support ticket yet, are they generally decent? I expect a "call Microsoft" sort of answer out of any support line...
Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Ok. I asked the admin question because earlier you said that adding admin rights to your user account solved the problem.

Is she also using a live.com account? Also, what happens if you go into the certificate manager, and enter your wife's credentials for the NAS entry?
Message 19 of 20
DeeCee521
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I am wondering what workgroup the RN104 is in. (network->authentication is where that is set).

StephenB wrote:
dsm1212 wrote:
I checked the setting location on my RN102 before I posted 😄

My system was set to to "VOLUME", which is probably the default.

I had a similar problem and when I changed the VOLUME to WORKGROUP all my computers could she the NAS as part of the workgroup. I don't know if this works for Windows Home.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements