× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

JimG1
Guide

OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

We just upgraded an RN102 to 6.4.1, which intially seemed to fix some backup issues we'd been working around, however we've just downgraded to 6.4.0 after seeing 6.4.1 being too slow to be usable (the downgrade fixed this issue). By slow I mean in navigating file trees and serving files. Has anyone seen this?

Message 1 of 172

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To get the fix for the anti-virus issue you can update to ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2) (or later). Alternatively if you prefer you can stay on 6.4.2 for now and install the hot-fix (which is now available).

Thanks for your patience.

View solution in original post

Message 163 of 172

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JimG1,

Welcome to the community!

I haven't experienced this problem after updating the device Firmware to 6.4.1. Did you check if there's a service or maintenance ongoing while you are navigating the files? Was the same behavior experienced after rebooting the device or shutting it down completely?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 172
JG24
Tutor

I just upgraded my RN104 to 6.4.1 and am experiencing similar speed issues. Starting Windows 10 File Explorer takes ages as the Quick Access links that are pointing to the NAS are loaded in (green progress bar is slow, to the point of taking somewhere in the range of 10 seconds). When copying a file to the NAS, if I browse to another folder on the NAS, the copying will stop (speed of 0 kB/s) while the files are slowly displayed, before the copying resumes again. When the copying is the only task, or even if I'm only streaming a video, that will be fine. But it seems to be any type of multiple access or multiple files, then the NAS near locks up. 

I didn't encounter any of these issues with the 6.4.0 firmware. I noted in the 6.4.1 release notes that there was a fix for potential network buffer overrun issues. Could this be the cause?

Message 3 of 172
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JG24,

Could you check this out FAQ. If the issue persists, kindly open a ticket with our support team so the performance issues that you've experienced will be raised to the next tier of support.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 4 of 172
JG24
Tutor

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response. I didn't see anything in the FAQ that seemed directly relevant. I upgraded 6.4.0 to 6.4.1, which seems to be an acceptable upgrade path. I've actually downgraded back to 6.4.0 and am very happy again. The only issue I see is that the system doesn't shutdown properly; gets stuck at a message, something like "Shutting down... Goodbye."

I think I'll only be upgrading to the next firmware if there's a note that the issue I was seeing with 6.4.1 is addressed.

Regards,

JG24 

Message 5 of 172
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JG24,

Thanks for the feedback. Consider contacting our support team for a support ticket that can be raised to our next tier of support.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 6 of 172
ntnsvh
Guide

Hi Everyone,

I, too, have this problem. File access on the local network is just too slow. I have already rebooted the RN102 to check if it would help but to no avail. The difference between 6.4.0 and 6.4.1 on local network file access is very significant.

Does anyone have a solution to this aside from downgrading to 6.4.0?

Thanks,

Message 7 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ntnsvh,

If the FAQ did not resolve the problem you are facing either, can you open a support case and let us know the case number?

If it is an online case please attach the logs zip file to it.

Message 8 of 172
DBO
Tutor
Tutor

I'm getting exact same issue. Upgraded yesterday and local network file speed has gone to the dogs. Long time-out errors on accessing any SMB enabled shares from Windows 10 clients. Essentially unworkable. Tried rebooting etc to no avail. Web based access via admin console in browswer seems to be at regular speeds but the rest is broken.

Is there any way we can roll back to previous firmware?

Message 9 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware did you update from?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 10 of 172
DBO
Tutor
Tutor

We upgraded from 6.4.0

I've extracted and sent the log file zip.

Thanks for your help.

Message 11 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are any of you using the anti-virus service? If so, on 6.4.1 does performance return to normal if you disable the anti-virus service?

Message 12 of 172
Vati42
Aspirant

Betreff: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

Even my RN104 slowed down after upgrade to 6.4.1 yesterday. Please fix it ASAP. We need the data. It worked fine with 6.4.0 before.

Message 13 of 172
JG24
Tutor

Hi. I am using the anti-virus service. I have already downgraded back to 6.4.0. Can someone who still has 6.4.1 check if disabling this returns performance to normal?

Message 14 of 172
Vati42
Aspirant

How can I downgrade? Is there a manual?

Message 15 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@Vati42 wrote:

How can I downgrade? 

Downgrade to what?  If you mean 6.4.1->6.4.0, then you just download 6.4.0 firmware and manually install it.  If you want to go below 6.4.0, there is a process you can find here (posted by ifixidevices).  Netgear doesn't recommend it, but it appears to have worked for several people.  The process requires a factory reset, so the NAS needs to be rebuilt and the data restored from backup.

@Vati42 wrote:

Is there a manual?

All ReadyNAS manuals are available as downloads from support.netgear.com.  The direct link to the 6.4 user manual is: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/readynas_os_6_4_o_09.pdf 

Message 16 of 172
Vati42
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

tanks for response.

I am a private user with such a little NAS. So maybe I am a little bit dumb at thsi topic. I just want to go back to the last working version 6.4.0.

1. I cant find the firmware download. downloadcenter.netgear.com ist offline (HTTP-Error 404). Do you have a link for me?

2. How do I install an upgrade manually? Until yesterday all upgrades where installed automatically out of the net.

regards

Vati42

Message 17 of 172
StephenB
Guru

The fastest way to find older firmware is to google with site:netgear.com.

Here's the link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29938/~/readynas-os-version-6.4.0

You extract the img file from the zip download on your PC.

From the gui, select system->settings and click on the manual install button there.  You'll select the img file on the PC, and the install is straightforward from there.

Message 18 of 172
Vati42
Aspirant

Thanks a lot.

I googled for netscape and found several dead links...

Your Link works.

Message 19 of 172
JimG1
Guide

Yes DBO, I had to learn how to do this yesterday to recover (downgrading 6.4.1 to 6.4.0). Follow this - its pretty easy luckily ...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22804

Message 20 of 172
JimG1
Guide

Yes, Brian, there was nothing unusual going on. We fully shutdown the NAS once and tried restarting several clients before falling back to 6.4.0. This immediately fixed the speed issue (but brought back the old bugs of course).

I'll wait for 6.4.2 before I try again. Meanwhile in 6.4.0 I can't get to the admin window (just the splash screen) after a backup runs (or perhaps its some other internal operation). But this has always been the case for us with 6.4.0 and several earlier releases.

Message 21 of 172
Vati42
Aspirant

It worked!!  With 6.4.0 everything is fine again.

Thanks a lot.

Message 22 of 172
DBO
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you StephenB for giving us a direct link to the 6.4.0 download, because yesterday the search for a downloadable firmware version timed out.

- Got 6.4.0 (x86) and tried uploading via the admin page to the NAS .. but kept getting "Unrecognized Server Error". (under Firefox 42.0)

- Switched admin onto MS Edge and it worked from there.

Can also confirm that reverting back to 6.4.0 has resolved the speed issues. Thank goodness we can get back to doing some work today. 

Lets hope there's a fix in the works soon.

Message 23 of 172
ntnsvh
Guide

I have just downgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.4.0 and the speed issue is gone. I will just wait for the next upgrade after 6.4.1.
Message 24 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Anti-virus doesn't work well with some use cases.

If you use torrents for instance you can use the AV Plus app to exclude the directory the torrent app uses.

Message 25 of 172
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements