× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.4.1 slow ... to the point of unusable

connor25
Tutor

Upgraded from 6.40 to 6.41 on ReadyNAS 102, it was terrible, had the office all me out as everything grinded to a halt!  even remotely I thought it was a bit slower... but literally un-useable.

I went back to firmware 6.40 and no problems.

Message 26 of 172
connor25
Tutor

JimG1 interesting, I have had same issue with the splash screen and using it remotely its a real pain, I hadn't known it was the backup causing this, but this now makes sense!

I also found changing the backup to NTFS it did it without errors whilst with fat32 had errors and had to restart a few times.

Message 27 of 172
JimG1
Guide

Sorry mdgm but thats a bogus answer. We've never run any apps on our NAS other than the default Virus protection Netgear built in. Upgrading a minor revision (6.4.0 -> 6.4.1) shouldn't cause an issue like the one being reported here - it sure appears something unintended was introduced in this release. If its the built in Virus protection, then its still a Netgear issue.

Message 28 of 172
JimG1
Guide

I've never been able to figure out exactly what makes the NAS stop responding on the admin console, but it seemed be in this state most morning after a backup. Only power cycling seemed to free it.

Interesting that the drive format may be involved.

We switch to this NAS last year for ease of drive maintenance (swapping out drives in the RAID array) but I have to say, the effort we've put into keeping this thing working and keeping backups reliable has far outstripped the effort of maintaining the drives embedded in our servers. 

Message 29 of 172
connor25
Tutor

if its any help, it was a samsung drive... I also noticed even though the drive was new and formated FAT32 it looked like two drives on the admin panel which concerned me a bit, I am not sure why it did this and don't have a reason either.

I was also only running the inbuilt virus, but I have been told this could be the problem from another user... so have turned off for now, although hope the desktop anti-virus will be enough.

Message 30 of 172
bwwestbrook
Aspirant

I too am having the exact same issues.  I upgraded the firmware to 6.4.1 and now it takes several minutes to open or save a simple file.  I am also getting read only errors when trying to reopen files.

I will try downgrading.  Please fix Netgear.

Message 31 of 172
connor25
Tutor

Try disabling the anti virus, and see if this is the problem?

downgrading worked fine for me, works like a dream now apart from the original issues!

Message 32 of 172
Skepher
Aspirant

Exact same issue here on RN516 with 6.4.1 - downgrading now

Message 33 of 172
Skepher
Aspirant

Downgrading to 6.4.0 fixed my issue, please resolve in 6.4.2

Message 34 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JimG1 wrote:

Sorry mdgm but thats a bogus answer. We've never run any apps on our NAS other than the default Virus protection Netgear built in. Upgrading a minor revision (6.4.0 -> 6.4.1) shouldn't cause an issue like the one being reported here - it sure appears something unintended was introduced in this release. If its the built in Virus protection, then its still a Netgear issue.

Some users have reported that they use the anti-virus service and disabling it has resolved the performance problems for them. There likely was a problem with using anti-virus with at least some of their data already there, but perhaps it may have been exacerbated a little by some changes in 6.4.1 or perhaps not. Indeed, some issues may seem like they are caused by a firmware update but are actually coincidental.

We are trying to gauge whether using anti-virus is common to the users running into this issue or not, and if disabling anti-virus resolves the problem that would suggest that some settings changes using the NETGEAR AV Plus app may help.

Message 35 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please also note that while downgrading may be a workaround for some for now, it doesn't help with narrowing down the cause of the problems you are facing (which may be different for different users).

Message 36 of 172
Glengary
Aspirant

I was experiencing the same speed problems, so I disabled the antivirus, and it resolved the issue. I'm still running 6.4.1.

Message 37 of 172
Skepher
Aspirant

After reading the comments, I reinstalled 6.4.1 and turned off the virus checker, all seems well.

Anyone know if the larger issue has been resolved so I can turn the virus checker back on?

Message 38 of 172
fairb
Aspirant

I came across this thread just as I was getting ready to downgrade from 6.4.1 to 6.4.0. Same problem as you guys. NAS became unusable from my Win 10 desktop after upgrading to 6.4.1. I can confirm that turning off the virus checker brings it back to life. Hope 6.4.2 is out very soon so that I can turn the virus cjecker back on.

Message 39 of 172
JimG1
Guide

The question we should all have is we're being told, via this public site, to disable the built-in virus protection in order for this release (6.4.1) to even be operable. I don't know if the RN product line has historically been a target of malicous intent, but does this strike anyone else as questionable?

Message 40 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@JimG1 wrote:

I don't know if the RN product line has historically been a target of malicous intent, but does this strike anyone else as questionable?

I see no evidence of anything malicious at this point.  But it is curious that high end NAS are also affected. 

Message 41 of 172
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

That you everybody for the feed back in helping narrow down what is causing your units to slow down.
I have seen the AV cause this in the past, so it was an initial suspect for the slow performance. There are a number of moving parts in AV. There has not been any version updates to the AV in 6.4.1 (to my knowledge), but there is a chance there is a signature update that came out that may have caused this behavior.

Since I have suspected AV from the initial post; I have been looking into different configuration options to see if that would help performance. I did not have much luck yet. It sounds like I will see if I get additional eyes to look into the AV "update" to see what may have happened between the two version.
Message 42 of 172
connor25
Tutor

I have disabled my anti-virus on my second NAS and it works fine after reboot. 

After reading a lot on it, and as this is a Unix system, I am wondering if I actually need a anti virus on the NAS if desktop is covered well?  I mean could a virus actively go through on an isolated NAS and infect every file realistically?

Message 43 of 172
StephenB
Guru

@connor25 wrote:

I have disabled my anti-virus on my second NAS and it works fine after reboot. 

After reading a lot on it, and as this is a Unix system, I am wondering if I actually need a anti virus on the NAS if desktop is covered well?  I mean could a virus actively go through on an isolated NAS and infect every file realistically?

I've always left AV off on my NAS.

If I were running apps that downloaded files directly to the NAS (e.g. transmission), or if I allowed others to directly upload files (in your case that would be customers), then I'd want it on.  But I don't do either of those things.  It's always possible that the NAS AV service will find something my PC scanners miss.  But the extra protection isn't worth the performance hit for me.  

To be clear, I think its a good feature for the NAS to have.  But not one I feel I need.

Message 44 of 172
Bob_K
Tutor

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 running OS 6.4.1.  I know you guys don't approve of or support using OS6 software on the old systems; however, I wanted to let you know that turning off Anti-Virus also instantly fixed my unusably slow performance problem.

Message 45 of 172
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

StephenB wrote:

If I were running apps that downloaded files directly to the NAS (e.g. transmission), or if I allowed others to directly upload files (in your case that would be customers), then I'd want it on.  But I don't do either of those things.  It's always possible that the NAS AV service will find something my PC scanners miss.  But the extra protection isn't worth the performance hit for me.  

To be clear, I think its a good feature for the NAS to have.  But not one I feel I need.

If you do use anti-virus and a torrent app you should exclude the directory that the torrents download to using the AV Plus app. It's fine to scan a directory that you move the torrent to after it has downloaded.

Message 46 of 172
rhkrv
Aspirant

My NAS 314 has the same issue after updated the firmware to 6.4.1 today. But unfortunately it keep to reboot when try downgrade to 6.4.0.(over 10 times)

What should I do for it right now?

Message 47 of 172
rhkrv
Aspirant

@rhkrv wrote:

My NAS 314 has the same issue after updated the firmware to 6.4.1 today. But unfortunately it keep to reboot when try downgrade to 6.4.0.(over 10 times)

What should I do for it right now?

It successed to re-load the previous firmware 6.4.0. finally after waiting for the NAS to reboot the system over 1 hour. It is working smoothness now.

Message 48 of 172
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rhkrv,

Thanks for adding your experience. Engineering is already aware of this and working on a fix.

We again apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Message 49 of 172
NicoDenT
Initiate

A couple of days ago, I upgraded from 6.4.0 to 6.4.1 as well. My ReadyNAS is extremely slow as well now - I can no longer access folders with large number of photos.

The only solution I have read so far is to downgrade the FW to 6.4.0. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I can only find manuals to upgrade the FW, not to downgrade it...

Thanks in advance!

Message 50 of 172
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements