× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6.2 on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

ReadyAS
Guide

OS6.2 on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

With reference to launch OS6.2 (beta1 for now) let's start a new thread for legacy readynas'es, please.
First, would be fine to know if is there possible to rollback to version 6.1 or 4 in case of any problems.
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: OS6.2 on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

Either rollback would require a factory reset (there are changes in 6.2 that mean downgrading to 6.1 isn't supported even on the new models). If the image is not accepted then overwriting the header a bit differently may be needed to get it to work (need to overwrite the header of the default image not of one that has already been overwritten).
Message 2 of 11
CharlesR
Guide

I upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2 beta without an issue on my Ultra Plus. Tomorrow I will try to downgrade to 4 (the blessed version) with a spare drive and if successful upgrade to (the blessed) 6.1.

As a complete guess since 6.2 can't be downgraded I'm guessing there will be one or more issues. Such as it won't like the 4 firmware that's been blessed as 6.1 which allows you to downgrade (from 6.1). More than likely it will need a new header that makes it look like 6.2? Again thinking off the top of my head until tomorrow...
Message 3 of 11
chirpa
Luminary

As long as the timestamp in the header is in the future from 6.2 release, it should allow downgrade fine. But as noted, you would still want to factory default after that, as the newer OS could make filesystem changes that the older release won't be able to read.
Message 4 of 11
mangrove
Apprentice

Which BTRFS version is incorporated in/targeted for 6.2?
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The tools we are using are version 3.14.2, same as in 6.1.9.

We are also using the same kernel version as in 6.1.9 currently, I think.
Message 6 of 11
CharlesR
Guide

Using a time stamp does seems like it would be much easier to trick.

OK I removed my only drive and installed a brand new drive and performed a Factory Reset with 6.2 beta. It was up and running within seconds. Then I uploaded the blessed OS 4 firmware and rebooted. RAIDar found it and reported as expected corrupt root. I did a Factory Reset and RAIDar again found it and I ran Setup which now just finished and it's reporting 4.2.6. I logged in via my browser and all appears fine.

So on the surface everything appears to work as before (6.1). This was with a Ultra Plus with one drive.

Which brings up an off topic questions... I was reading supported drive information posted by another NAS vendor and they more than hinted that until you install 3 drives which drives you use don't have all that much importance? Sort of stating until you introduce certain RAIDs their compatibility don't come into play?
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

CharlesR wrote:
... I was reading supported drive information posted by another NAS vendor and they more than hinted that until you install 3 drives which drives you use don't have all that much importance? Sort of stating until you introduce certain RAIDs their compatibility don't come into play?
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here.

However, if you install disks that are not on the HCL, Netgear will almost always deny support - even if those drives are working well.
Message 8 of 11
CharlesR
Guide

StephenB wrote:
However, if you install disks that are not on the HCL, Netgear will almost always deny support - even if those drives are working well.

I think that's a given and they aren't going to support OS 6 on the old school hardware. It's more trying to understand the logic than suggesting or recommending certain drives. Not sure but this is perhaps what I read previously... although I also read where a NAS vendor virtually blessed the green drives if using two or less... can't find that link right now.

WD desktop hard drives (WD Blue, Green, or Black) have been tested and are recommended for consumer RAID applications when using the drives in a RAID 0 (Stripe) or RAID 1 (Mirror) configuration.

However, there are several things to keep in mind when setting up a RAID with these drives:

- WD only recommends using a Desktop drive in a RAID array with no more than two (2) drives (Raid 0 or Raid 1 only).
- WD is unable to provide direct technical support for setting up RAID arrays for either hardware or software arrays.
- Support for your RAID array can be obtained from one of several sources:
--- If you are setting up a hardware array it is best to contact the manufacturer of your RAID controller or motherboard manufacturer.
--- If you are setting up a software array you can contact the publisher of your RAID software.
--- The publisher of your Operating System (OS) (Usually Apple, or Microsoft) can provide support for the use of a hardware or software RAID configuration within that OS.
- Before connecting a drive to an array, you should verify that the drive is functioning properly. Please use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (floppy), or Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to perform a test on the drive prior to installation.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... MzbQ%3D%3D
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I don't think green drives are a good choice for a NAS. I still have four WD20EARS running in my NV+, which I'll use until they fail. But I won't buy more for my NAS.

NAS-purposed drives are now sold by both WD (Red) and Seagate (STxxxxVNxxx), and in my opinion there is no reason to consider consumer desktop drives at all. NAS-purposed drives are intended for RAID, have a better warranty than any of the desktop choices, are reasonably priced, and they work well.

Personally I use the WD Red - I have 9 deployed in 3 NAS, and have had no problems with any of them.
Message 10 of 11
CharlesR
Guide

I agree and as Fry's has the 3TB Reds on sale for $99 (at times) it seems like a no-brainer.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements