× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6 now works on x86 Legacy WARNING: NO NTGR SUPPORT!

StephenB
Guru

Re: OS6 now works on x86 Legacy

Skywalker wrote:
StephenB wrote:
Xophile wrote:
Isn't it possible to move data between shares directly with BTRFS?
Each share is set up as a btrfs subvolume. That allows you to control snapshots on a share-by-share basis.

A direct consequence is that moving files from one share to another is done as a copy/delete - the same as moving files between two disks on a PC.

Well, not exactly. You can "instantly" copy files around between subvolumes using cp --reflink, and then remove the original. So, to move a file from the Backup share to the Documents share, you could do:

# cp -a --reflink /data/Backup/file /data/Documents/
# rm /data/Backup/file
Good to know, thx. So with ssh, you can overcome that issue.
Message 1051 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Good tip! Is there a file explorer that can do this command without using ssh and the command prompt?
Message 1052 of 1,275
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

No, not right now. However, future firmware releases will support this sort of operation via SMB2's FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK command, which is for server-side copies. But I don't know which SMB clients use that command, other than Windows Server 2012.
Message 1053 of 1,275
sander11
Aspirant

I'm hoping to pick up a used ultra 4 tomorrow to upgrade to OS6. It will take a while to get through all the details in this thread, but if someone could answer the following questions I'd appreciate it.

Does OS6 still have some relationship with how big the initial raid is? I was going to fill out the NAS with some 1 and 2GB drives I have lying around, but the long term goal is 4x4tb (once the prices get a little lower). Would I have to factory reset to get to from ~5TB to 12TB?

My understanding was that the next generation file systems (zfs and btrfs) needed parity RAM to prevent bit rot, yet these devices don't have parity RAM. Am I mistaken?

TIA.
Message 1054 of 1,275
StephenB
Guru

-The use of parity RAM is has nothing to do with the use of next generation file systems. So you are mistaken on that. ECC RAM just makes the RAM more reliable.
(EDIT- I have seen some posts in other forums that claim you need ECC memory with ZFS, and some wondering the same about btrfs. I think these are all overstated. Errors in RAM can corrupt data in all file systems, including ext with software RAID used by the ultra running OS4. And ECC RAM doesn't protect against all memory errors - like RAID it can fail, and it doesn't help at all when memory is corrupted by software bugs. So yes, memory failures can corrupt data. Depending on where/when the memory failure occurs, it can corrupt "good" data already on the disk. For instance, if it happened during a disk scrub on an OS4 system, or if it resulted in writing a bad parity block on an ordinary write. The good news is that RAM (even without ECC) is still extremely reliable.

There is a paper on the subject here: http://research.cs.wisc.edu/adsl/Public ... fast10.pdf that analyzes this potential vulnerability with ZFS quite rigorously. They conclude that "a single bit flip has a small but not negligible chance of causing failures like reading/writing corrupt data...". Additionally they found that "ext2 is also vulnerable to memory corruptions".

In any event, the ultra does not have ECC memory).

-If you use OS4 you would need a factory reset to expand the volume by more than 8 TiB over its lifetime. That limit does not exist with OS6.
Message 1055 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

For those who wants to patch manually their the heartbleed (CVE-2014-0160) without updating their readyNAS OS to 6.1.7 (which adresses the problem) :
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=75947&start=15#p423049
Message 1056 of 1,275
michaelvec
Tutor

readyNAS Pro6 legacy with 6.1.6 - DONT enable Antivirus!!

Was running OS 6.1.6 for the last 2 weeks without any major problems. Today I enabled antivirus and the NAS is hanging in a booting state after hitting reboot. Display says Booting; putty logon doesnt work.

Connecting the NAS with a keyboard and screen I get a login but after entering credentials no prompt is given. After Ctr-C I am getting a new logon - thats all I can do. GUI front end doesnt work of course.

Can anyone help before I am pushing the reset button and loose everything?

Any help appreciated.
Message 1057 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.1.7 has been released: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76000

I would recommend updating to that if you are running an older version of ReadyNAS OS 6.
Message 1058 of 1,275
Lichon
Aspirant

Just upgraded my Pro Business Edition from 4.2.x to OS6.1.6 and auto-update to 6.1.7 shortly after this morning after a week of copying my 6TB data off (via USB2.0 port, yet it barely managed 100Mbit/s).
I was installing some of the free apps via frontview (based on Ext JS framework btw), and at my 8th (or so) app install, which nearly was finished, I got the message "Unable to connect to device. Maybe busy" (or something similar), which I had gotten earlier when doing configuration on the "System" tab like enabling services and checking performance graphs. This time I noticed it had a "Cancel" button, so I clicked it - I was also logged in via SSH at the same time and neither it or windows had any issues connecting to shares, so device must just be busy.
After that, frontview has been dead. SSH and browsing from windows still works. I have tried to reboot without any change.

Do I need to manually start apache2 ?

Looking at /var/log/dmesg the last lines seem to indicate only 3 drives were recognized upon last reboot, where as it was detected all 6 drives earlier.
Keep in mind volume is still (re)building, and I recall it as about 13 hours left. While I havent read the entire thread I saw something about a forced scrubbing on sunday (like today), but OS6 is only about 3 hours "old" on my Pro.

Edit1: Frontview came up on its own, but transmission remains dead. I know transmission is working because after I installed it, I gave it 2 torrents which finished just fine.

Edit2: Transmission is working again, after I did a "disable enable" routine. Odd it didnt start on its own (frontview reported it "On").
Not sure if anything has changed, but I have not had any issues with loud fan or OLED LCD always on. It seems like frontview gets the correct fan speed and temperatures (drives, CPU and system).
So overall a good experience so far. Will need to do some testing on stability and speeds once volume is build. I could not remove/destroy or rename the default volume name "data".

What is the default folder "/media" supposed to do on OS6 ?
Its not like on OS4 where music, picture and video folders were inside it. In fact, on OS6, its not even visible as a share and when I mount (on windows), it just shows an empty folder named "backups" and a "songs3.db" file and I cannot find neither of those via SSH.
Message 1059 of 1,275
arnomc
Aspirant

Do not try to modify the folder 'data' ! because all the folders are inside this one !
I don't have any folder named media because in OS6 the media folder are named, by default, music, pictures, & video.
For transmission it also happened to me once just stop and restart the app +/- restart the nas resolved it.
Message 1060 of 1,275
maboehme
Aspirant

Hi,

just upgraded my Pro6 from 6.1.6 to 6.1.7 and now i get a "Fan dead" message in Frontview System/overview and email alerts. Some time ago I installed the"Easy fix fan/temp OS6 issues on x86 legacy" solution. I already purged lm-sensors and fancontrol and restarted the nas. The Fan is quit loud now, but I still get the Fan is dead error. Anything I missed?

Best regards,
Martin

Edit:
BTW: Using Chrome Version 34.0.1847.116 m frontview does not load, afte the 'welcome screen' (Netgear Readynas Version 6.1.7) nothing happends any more.
Message 1061 of 1,275
ATCIS
Tutor

maboehme wrote:

Edit:
BTW: Using Chrome Version 34.0.1847.116 m frontview does not load, afte the 'welcome screen' (Netgear Readynas Version 6.1.7) nothing happends any more.

I've had this exact problem accessing the OS6 GUI with Google Chrome for the last three OS6 versions. Internet Explorer 9, 10 and 11 all work fine though. Weird right :?:
Message 1062 of 1,275
chirpa
Luminary

maboehme wrote:
Yes, known since January.
Message 1063 of 1,275
notthedroids
Aspirant

OS6 -iTunes-- Photos ll

Thanks for reposting the Chrome issue. Was just about to ask that question this morning after rebooting the device several times. Should be noted that iTunes management page and Photos II are also inaccessible via Chrome (or at least they are on my box).

ReadyNAS Ultra 4

*Update*

Ok, maybe i spoke too soon. I was getting the home page, now I am getting Page cant be displayed, in both Chrome and in IE. RAIDar will show me the box and I can browse the shares from my PC, so it is not networking. The only things I have done to it since installing OS 6.1.17 is (1) turn on iTunes Server, (2) restore music files, (3) turn on Photos II, (4) restore photos, (5) went to bed because there was gigs of data copying. It was all finished this morning, but now the Web Interface is inaccessible.

*Update 2*

Found some other threads that mentioned issues accessing Frontview because of corrupt/incorrect conf files for BitTorrent and Photos. I did a factory reset and Frontview will load again. And I made sure I enable SSH before doing anything else.
Message 1064 of 1,275
sgirard
Aspirant

ATCIS wrote:
maboehme wrote:

Edit:

I've had this exact problem accessing the OS6 GUI with Google Chrome for the last three OS6 versions. Internet Explorer 9, 10 and 11 all work fine though. Weird right :?:

Thanks for this information. After hours bashing head for trying to access Frontview from Chrome. I finally was successful in accessing Frontview with Safari. 🙂 Yes Werid!
Message 1065 of 1,275
maboehme
Aspirant

Hi all,

with the new beta of 6.1.8 frontview workes again with Chrome:

Notable changes since ReadyNASOS 6.1.7

1. [RC1] Support for Google Chrome version 34.
2. [RC1] Fix for potential volume mounting issue across reboots.
3. [RC1] Fix backup manager not aborting on out of space errors.

Is anyone else having problems with 6.1.7+ and native fancontrol on a Pro6? Even wite the new beta the os thinks the fan ist dead and ist sending emailalerts every 10 minutes...

Best regards,
Martin
Message 1066 of 1,275
pst
Tutor
Tutor

I'm seeing it too, but I had the hacks in place (fancontrol/lm_sensors). I've heard of reports of the same problem with a factory default install too, sadly.
Message 1067 of 1,275
maboehme
Aspirant

Hi developers,

just want to say 'thank you' for adding LCD support on Pro6!!! Works great!

Best regards,
Martin
Message 1068 of 1,275
shibby
Aspirant

Pro4 with OS 6.1.8 + fancontrol = second life for my ReadyNAS!! All works great (including LCD). Thank you.
Message 1069 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Do I still need to change things manually for fan and LCD to work with a Ultra 4?
Message 1070 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is support for the Ultra 4 fan and LCD in OS6
Message 1071 of 1,275
Xophile
Aspirant

Thanks for the info mdgm!
Message 1072 of 1,275
Marto731
Aspirant

OS6 & Chrome version 34.0.1847.116 m

Hello,

An update to the Chrome browser has recently been released - version '34.0.1847.116 m'.

In this latest version of Chrome, the GUI for ReadyNAS OS5, OS6 and ReadyDATA do not load past the first splash screen.

Previous Chrome version '33.0.1750.154 m' does work.

Firefox version 28.0 and IE version 11 work fine at this time.

NETGEAR are currently investigating this and this issue has also been reported to Google.

Regards, Marto
Message 1073 of 1,275
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Marto73 there is already a 6.1.8-RC1 posted on the forum by Skywalker which addresses the issue and also Chrome 35 beta fixes the bug in Chrome 34.
Message 1074 of 1,275
tigernrw
Aspirant

Hey people,

i am really interested in OS6 on my ReadyNAS Pro 4.

Is there now any support of the Netgear Appstore (Genie)?
If no, will there be any support in future?

Thanks.
Message 1075 of 1,275
Top Contributors
Announcements