× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password reset - bug scenario

jj23
Tutor

Password reset - bug scenario

ReadyNas RN102

Not sure but suspect a code - bug scenario.

I set  a recovery question & password (& recorded both). But did not setup the SMTP mail sender.

When I came to  have to recover my password, I filled in data & entered my email & hit submit. I suspect my password was reset  & the email send was attempted but this failed. At this point I think my password has a new value. & since I can never receive the email is now un recoverable. I found my admin password but it now no longer works.

2 further issues.

- The password recovery based on email is a bit heavy for a home user, may be offering multi / question response would be sufficent, assumming the administrator set this up.

- The recovery question & password should not be allowed to be set if the email set up has not been configured AND Tested.

A minimum you need a warning that the recovery mechanism is dependent upon the email facility.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Password reset - bug scenario

You can do an OS reinstall from the front panel (see page 16 of the hardware manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN_OS_6_Desktop_HW_UM_12Oct2015.pdf )

That will reset the admin password to "password" and also will reset the IP configuration to use dhcp.  Other settings and data should remain intact.

Message 2 of 6
jj23
Tutor

Thanks i found the os instal feature, but have a problem with that - raised separate question so as not to confuse the issues. Is there a bug ? does failure to set the smtp cripple the p/w ?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@jj23 wrote:

does failure to set the smtp cripple the p/w [recovery]?

I don't know - its not a feature I've ever needed.

But of course it can't send an email w/o a working SMTP configuration.

Message 4 of 6
jj23
Tutor

Thanks.

Your links - has an missleading instructions - I did find the correct text somewhere on the web but not in the link you are offering. i added the key bit that is missing.

To access the boot menu:
1. Power off your storage system.
2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
3. Press the  Power  button. The system powers on.
4. Continue to press the Reset  button until the status display screen shows a boot menu message.

>>>> RELEASE THE RESET BUTTON  <<<
5. Press the  Backup  button to scroll through boot mode options

I now have admin access, but I dont have my disk back online - the encryption key doesnt seem to be being picked up  - I'm getting the 'please remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk' message.

Message 5 of 6
jj23
Tutor

another power cycle  & all is well - back up & running.

As a low cost archive solution - I like this product ! - still think there is a code bug lurking here.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements