× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance halved at a stroke (ReadyNAS Duo, 4.1.8) ...

milamber3
Aspirant

I was able to restore normal read/write speeds by reflashing 4.1.7, but I had to do a factory reset. A downgrade didn't work for me.
Message 51 of 88
Nasinator
Aspirant

milamber3 wrote:
I was able to restore normal read/write speeds by reflashing 4.1.7, but I had to do a factory reset. A downgrade didn't work for me.

Yeah same here. . .I got performance back going back to 4.1.7, but after bouncing between all those FWs during testing I started noticing some weird behaviors like smart data not coming up, apache dieing and not coming back up, weird file locking issues, etc. . . , so I copied off all the data reflashed to 4.1.7 again and factory reset. I'm hoping that gets rid of any ghosts in the machine from all the FW bouncing I did.
Message 52 of 88
Chewbacca
Aspirant

I was able to reproduce the issue. Will have our engineers take a look into the issue.
Message 53 of 88
Elect
Aspirant

Just my 2 cents. I also did a downgrade to 4.1.7 and kept track of the performance of SMB.

One of those cases that I would have been nice to been informed by Netgear of a possible speed drop.
Message 54 of 88
maxblack
Aspirant

I wonder if this issue is affecting USB communications also--in another thread here I am trying to backup 417GB of data from my 4TB NV+ to a USB drive, and after 72 hours it's still not even close to being complete.

The way I typically use my ReadyNAS, which is to back-up a PC by schedule nightly, I might never notice a speed decrease, though as I type this it occurs to me that I should be able to see in my logs whether these are taking significantly longer since 4.1.7. I will check...
Message 55 of 88
milamber3
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:
I was able to reproduce the issue. Will have our engineers take a look into the issue.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
Message 56 of 88
TheWierd
Guide

From my thread about the same thing, but on NV+. BUT i had bad rates before to!

NV+ 4.1.8
NAS performance tester 1.3 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on drive Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 14,2 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 15,8 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 15,68 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 15,67 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 15,31 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 15,33 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on drive Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 4,66 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 4,23 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 4,65 MB/sec
Message 57 of 88
ard1
Aspirant

Those on a mac, can hammer their disks with this free test gauge.
Message 58 of 88
humberty
Aspirant

Hi New to this forum

I had my readynas a year ago with 4.1.7 work absolutly fine so why on eath did I updated it to 4.1.8 . It slow, frontview is worse and my transmission 2.11 doesn't work any more ( I had to update it to 2.34b4 which doesn't work properly). I have a Gb connection and use mainly 7 64bits to access it. I have also notice a decrease in performance ( I wonder if adding some Ram would potentially cure it)especially on write speed.

I am really thinking of downgrading to 4.1.7 and transmission 2.11. Do I need to backup all my data before downgrading or will the content of the disc will remain intact ?

Cheers
humberty
Message 59 of 88
Justin_S
Aspirant

humberty wrote:
Hi New to this forum

I had my readynas a year ago with 4.1.7 work absolutly fine so why on eath did I updated it to 4.1.8 . It slow, frontview is worse and my transmission 2.11 doesn't work any more ( I had to update it to 2.34b4 which doesn't work properly). I have a Gb connection and use mainly 7 64bits to access it. I have also notice a decrease in performance ( I wonder if adding some Ram would potentially cure it)especially on write speed.

I am really thinking of downgrading to 4.1.7 and transmission 2.11. Do I need to backup all my data before downgrading or will the content of the disc will remain intact ?

Cheers
humberty

Hi Humberty,

You might have seen in this very thread I did this downgrade a few weeks back without issue. It's always a good idea to have a recent backup of your data ... especially when changing firmware ... but (barring unexpected problems) downgrading to 4.1.7 from 4.1.8 will leave all your data intact.

Thanks,

Justin
Message 60 of 88
mrmumbels
Aspirant

Having the same problems. Bought this readyNAs Duo last week and immediately upgraded to 4.1.8. Didn't know the correct speeds at first but just thought that they didn't seem right.

Connected directly to the NAS with no switch in the middle I was getting rates around 11MB down and 11MB down.

I downgraded to 4.1.7 and no get rates of 11MB down and 20MB up.

Did a factory reset by holding the reset button then turning on and holding power....

I still get 11MB up and 20MB down.

How are some people getting 45MB??? I want that!

Is it possible the hardware has changed?
Message 61 of 88
ard1
Aspirant

humberty wrote:
I wonder if adding some Ram would potentially cure it)especially on write speed.

In the reports on my NV and NV+, I've maxed out RAM (1GB), so that is not very promising for you 😞
Message 62 of 88
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi,

I wonder why Netgear isn't taking this problem more seriously? There are no hot fixes or new betas for us to try. I won't go back to 4.1.7 because of the sharing problems I had with that release.

Netgear is becoming very slack with responding to firmware issues created by faulty firmware updates. 😞

Regards,
Ian.
Message 63 of 88
TheWierd
Guide

Yeah they are NOT holding their end of the bargain.
Won't be recommending Readynas to anyone if they can't even keep these running at descent speed!
Message 64 of 88
Pip_Jones
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:

I too have the same performance problem - after applying 4.1.8 upgrade, data transfer speeds appear to have dropped by approximately 50%.

Is there going to be a fix in the near future? I really don't want to downgrade to 4.1.7. The upgrade sent my duo scatty and I had to backup / re-initialse / restore. Took the best part of two days to sort out.

Many thanks
Message 65 of 88
Justin_S
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:

Hi Yoh-dah and Chewie,

Thanks for picking up on this.

We're closing on 2 months since RAIDiator 4.1.8 released, a little over 6 weeks since problems started being raised and evidenced here on the forum and over 2 weeks since Chewie independently confirmed the issue (Thanks Chewie!) with a promise your development guys would investigate.

You can probably appreciate from the recent posts here, it's been a relatively frustrating experience for many of us and ... it's probably fair to say ... this has been made a little more frustrating by your earlier lack of engagement in the thread and a general lack of feedback from the team.

I really appreciate the effort you guys put into supporting and developing your products ... I'm sure everyone here does, too ... but right now that good work doesn't seem to be showing in its best light.

Could you help allay our concerns and offer a positive update on the development teams progress?

Thanks,

Justin
Message 66 of 88
voyager9
Aspirant

Unless Netgear show some POSITIVE Action regarding the Poor Performance when using 4.1.8 firmware, I am going to go out buy a WESTERN DIGITAL NAS Drive.
I have been UNABLE to use my ReadyNAS DUO since upgrading? to 4.1.8 several weeks ago, because of the slow transfer speeds and also the problems with AFP access with MAC OS X Lion 10.7.
I have tried downgrading back to 4.1.8-T9, and then back to 4.1.7 s/w in order to restore the performance.
Please reassure all sparc users that we still have a usable NAS device, otherwise I suggest that we remove the HDD and reformat it as an Ext. device.
Very Frustrated NETGEAR DUO User

IS there a V 4.1.9 BETA s/w being tested, and WHEN will we be able to download it?
Message 67 of 88
Pip_Jones
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:

Hey Chewie, did you get anything out of your engineers?

Really appreciate some feedback, even if it's "revert back to previous, a fix isn't going to appear in the near future".

Cheers

p.s. my results ... haven't got time to wait for the remaining tests ...

NAS performance tester 1.3 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on drive P: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 16.1 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 16.18 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 16.22 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 16.15 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 16.2 MB/sec
Average (W): 16.17 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on drive P: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 23.65 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 24.54 MB/sec
Message 68 of 88
simath
Aspirant

Before everyone gets TOO pissed at Netgear - a couple of comments:
1) I too am an embedded systems engineer - written lots of firmware over the years. As they say "S**T Happens"! I'm sure they're running regressions now to figure out what broke...
2) Count your blessings that they are STILL even writing UPDATES for the (obsolete) SPARC systems. Ok, I guess NG still officially sells them, but I doubt there's much volume compared to the x86 systems.
3) I just bought an Ultra 4 Plus with 4x2TB Seagate LP Green (new version ST2000DL003). I hope I don't regret it (seem to be some issues with these drives) - but have had good luck with ReadyNAS so far (my original NV+ was an Infrant - too slow now, but still running).

I simply downgraded back to 4.1.7, and got back to 22MB/s writes (was only getting 5MB/s under 4.1.8).
Message 69 of 88
simath
Aspirant

OOPS - looks like the "Eight )" got turned into a smiley - meant 4.1.8

Forgot to mention, I'm also a happy owner of a Pro 6 with 6x1TB Seagate Enterprise drives...
Message 70 of 88
Justin_S
Aspirant

simath wrote:
Before everyone gets TOO pissed at Netgear - a couple of comments:
1) I too am an embedded systems engineer - written lots of firmware over the years. As they say "S**T Happens"! I'm sure they're running regressions now to figure out what broke...
2) Count your blessings that they are STILL even writing UPDATES for the (obsolete) SPARC systems. Ok, I guess NG still officially sells them, but I doubt there's much volume compared to the x86 systems.
3) I just bought an Ultra 4 Plus with 4x2TB Seagate LP Green (new version ST2000DL003). I hope I don't regret it (seem to be some issues with these drives) - but have had good luck with ReadyNAS so far (my original NV+ was an Infrant - too slow now, but still running).

I simply downgraded back to 4.1.7, and got back to 22MB/s writes (was only getting 5MB/s under 4.1.8).

Hi Simath,

I don't think anyone's cursing Netgear yet and I'm glad you're happy to rollback to 4.1.7 to restore performance ... good for you.

It's worth keeping in mind that this isn't an option for many in the thread though, who rely on 4.1.8 for compatibility with Mac OS X. Stuff happens and no one's demanding an immediate fix ... just some feedback on how investigation is progressing and some confidence that this confirmed issue will be addressed in good time.

Even given Wednesday's announcement (new ARM based Duo's and NV+'s on the way) it's too early to call time on Sparc support. These units are still shipping, readily available, actively used and under warranty. While that's the case, it's not unreasonable for anyone to expect them to be fully supported.

Thanks,

Justin
Message 71 of 88
jasonsbx
Aspirant

"I don't think anyone's cursing Netgear yet"

I am a bit:-)
I arrive here because my NAS went slow after upgrading and that after receiving email saying upgrade available.
I really hate when there is a known issue and companies continue on as if nothing is wrong. They bother to list 2TB drives as a limitation the least they could do is also list probably halving your performance as a limitation.
Message 72 of 88
Justin_S
Aspirant

Chewbacca wrote:

Hi Yoh-dah and Chewie,

It's been 3 weeks since we last heard from you guys ... can you offer an update on this, yet?

Thanks,

Justin
Message 73 of 88
Rocketrobo99
Aspirant

I'm one of those that bought a Duo and immediately loaded up 4.1.8; I've never been overwhelmed by the system performance. I failed at a memory upgrade, so I'd be interested in hearing if a downgrade did help those who gave it a shot. I'm sure the engineers are looking at a .x version upgrade, but it would be nice to hear if there is something in the works.
Message 74 of 88
SnowSTi
Aspirant

Well you guys can count me in as another user that updated to 4.1.8 and the had terrible performance. I went from 28 Mb/s reads with 4.1.7 to 10 Mb/s reads with 4.1.8.

I have rolled back to 4.1.7 now and have restored the performance back to what it should be. Hopefully we hear something soon.
Message 75 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements