× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance problems - ReadyNAS 4220

clewis
Aspirant

Performance problems - ReadyNAS 4220

After upgrading to 6.6.1 overnight, performance was terrible today. Many users couldn't connect to network shares at all, getting messages like "the network name is already in use" and "unable to connect to network device."  Some users, though, could connect with no problem.  The admin page was flakey also - we constantly got kicked out of it.  After the 4th reboot we quickly disabled the built-in antivirus, and we also started cleaning out data. We had dropped below 20% free space on the device, and I cleaned out about 1TB of data from it, to get us well outside that 20% window. After doing these things, the admin screen's performance significantly improved. Network accessibility was still spotty (we are on a AD domain for authentication). Refreshing the ADS list didn't help, but toggling the setting for "include trusted domains" on and back off, nearly all users could connect. For the remaining ones, we had them reboot their machines, and then they were able to connect. 

Ideas? Is this normal behavior when capacity drops below 20%?

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+
Message 1 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

What you describe is not typical behavior, "low" free space on its own couldn't create that much problems.

Please download the logs from the GUI, check systemd-journal.log and see if you have hugely repeated messages about UIDs and GIDs.

Message 2 of 7
clewis
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I didn't pull the logs down until this morning, and they don't include anything from before the last reboot from the particular log you mentioned.  From this morning I do have a lot of errors like this:

Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: failed to call wbcGetgrgid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: Could not get info for gid 32770
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: Fail 'wbinfo --gid-info 32770'
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: failed to call wbcGetpwuid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: Could not get info for uid 32768
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: Fail 'wbinfo --uid-info 32768'
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: failed to call wbcGetgrgid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Mar 24 07:00:28 ELISHA readynasd[7166]: Could not get info for gid 32770

Not sure what to make of this since I know our domain controller is up and running...

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Disabling antivirus helped. You might want to keep it disabled until fw 6.7 is available.

Message 4 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

Those logs are related to a scrambled AD-to-Unix user mapping table. The huge ampunt of these logs slow down readynasd and impact performance of the machine. You'll have to fully reset the permissions on the shares (button "reset" under each share from the GUI, Windows Explorer to reconfigure). Let me inquire to a NETGEAR moderator about it. I, or somebody else, will get back to you.
Message 5 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

Looking for a next step here.

Can you try the 6.7.0 Beta 4? You need to consider what "beta" firmware implies for your production.

Are you entitled for Support? You can check your MyNETGEAR account for that. If you have Support, you could contact NETGEAR and show these logs in the case.

Message 6 of 7
clewis
Aspirant

I'm fairly certain we are out of warranty as the unit's over 4 years old. And, being a production box, I don't think we'd feel comfortable putting a beta version of firmware on.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements