× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Permission denied when accessing using Active Directory

AlexWhittles
Guide

Permission denied when accessing using Active Directory

I recently changed from local users to Active Directory. This finally started working after a 6.5.1 upgrade, the users are now synchronised and I can create shares and set permissions.

However, when I try and access the NAS from any domain PC with a domain user account, it asks for username/password. No matter which account I enter it just asks for the credentials again in a never ending loop. This happens when I try to access a share directly (\\ReadyNAS\MyShare) as well as when I try to access the root ((\\ReadyNAS\). So I can't even see any of the shares, let alone access them.

I have set some shares to be accessible by everyone, but I still can't even see or access these.

However if I try the same using a non-domain PC (on the same LAN), using a non-domain user account, I can access the root (\\ReadyNAS\) successfully and I can see all of the shares. I can even access the shares that have 'everyone' permission.

The NAS has a fully sync'd set of users, I've also tried setting it to not cache users locally. I've resync'd, I've rebooted, I'm running short of ideas.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

Alex

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AlexWhittles,

Do you have files saved on each private home folder of your AD users? If none, you can remove your NAS from your AD and re-integrate it again. Once done, re-apply your desired share permission/s for SMB access via file explorer. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AlexWhittles,

Either reset the permission of the said share/s via the admin page (Network Access) or through your server (using this procedure). Just ensure that shares have "Allow anonymous access" is unchecked.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
AlexWhittles
Guide

Hi Brian

Thanks for your help.

I've tried setting 'Allow Anonymous Access' on and off, and it doesn't make any difference to the problem.

I've tried removing permissions and adding them again using the web admin interface, I've tried using AD groups, AD users, and Everyone, I'm still unable to access the shares, it just keeps asking for login credentials and will not accept the details of any user account that I try.

I've also tried setting permissions using your second suggestion, through Windows Explorer, but this doesn't work either. I'm unable to even browse to the parent/root folder so I can't even see the shares, let alone interact/admin them. If I try and use Windows Explorer to navigate to the parent/root (\\ReadyNAS\) it just asks for credentials and will not accept any AD user accounts that I provide.

I've tried navigating directly to a share (\\ReadyNAS\Shared\) but exactly the same thing, it just keeps asking for credentials and will not accept any that I provide.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Alex

Message 3 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AlexWhittles,

Do you have files saved on each private home folder of your AD users? If none, you can remove your NAS from your AD and re-integrate it again. Once done, re-apply your desired share permission/s for SMB access via file explorer. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
AlexWhittles
Guide

Hi Brian

I'm now crying into my keyboard.

I removed it from AD and re-added it again. I'm now back to square 1 with the AD Import error again, as per the folowing post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN-2120-Active-Directory-quot-Import-Error-quo...

I've now been without the NAS for 2 months and it's a major problem. Surely there must be some way of getting this to work on AD as promised in the device spec?

To confirm, I'm running the latest 6.5.1 firmware which was supposed to fix the import error problem?

Please help me before I lose my last remaining thread of sanity!

Thanks

Alex

Message 5 of 6
AlexWhittles
Guide

After battling with this for a bit, removing/adding/retrying/etc. it has now imported the users and sync'd with AD correctly.

And the permissions are now working correctly, I can finally access the shares over the LAN using AD accounts.

Many thanks for your help, we got there in the end!

Alex

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements