× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Post your performance results

joshua_jackson
Aspirant

I tested using three computers, all on a 100mbit network. The two Win2k3's are on the same VLan, the WinXP is connected through a switch. This is all with jumbo frames enabled.

Win2k3 #1

IOmeter
Read IOps: 31.5 Mbps: 7.9
Write IOps: 31.5 Mbps: 7.8

FTP
Read Mbps: 0.79
Write Mbps: 5.9

Win2k3 #2

IOmeter
Read IOps: 31.15 Mbps: 7.8
Write IOps: 31.10 Mbps: 7.6

FTP
Read Mbps: 0.4
Write Mbps: 6.45

WinXP

IOmeter
Read IOps: 51.7 Mbps: 12.9
Write IOps: 57.9 Mbps: 14.5

FTP
(had some connection issues, never got a chance to test)

The FTP reads are still unbelievably slow, but at least windows file sharing is respectable for a 100mbit network.
Message 51 of 309
klf1
Aspirant

IOMeter machine: IBM Stinkpad T41 Pentium M 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM, gig ethernet with jumbo frames enabled (9014 - can't change this on the card). Windoze XP Pro SP2 (IBM employee release of XP Pro)

Readynas NV+ 1 GB RAM
4 x Seagate ST3320620AS in Xraid
Firmware: RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6 [1.00a034]
Memory: 1024 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

All journaling disabled, write cache on.
The only services I have running are CIFS and printer sharing.
All other services turned off
Jumbo frames enabled

I ran the test twice and came up with some wicked results from IO Meter:

Run 1 (MBps):
Read: 48.380988
Write: 68.071839

Run 2 (MBps):
Read: 43.467033
Write: 60.144747
Message 52 of 309
nils_heidorn
Aspirant

--edited and updated after playing with the jumbo frame size----

Hi !
Using a Dell Inspiron 9400 with CoreDuo 1,83 GHz CPU and an ExpressCard GigaBit Agere Systems ET-131x PCI-E Card directly connected to a X6 Rev.B ...

Write Cache Enabling, no Journaling, Fast CIFS Writes, force case sensitive, oplocks enabled ( last 2 shouldnt affect sequential tests )...

Read 27 MB/sec
Write 21 MB/sec

Normally using the Infrant via Wlan (attached to a second network card in the X6, Realtek PCI ) & Piss Poor Performance, plugging in the Agere for large transfers...

Greetings,

Nils
Message 53 of 309
AndyC_772
Aspirant

PC: Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, 2GHz Pentium 4-M, 768MB RAM

Network: Broadcom BCM4306-based 802.11g wireless miniPCI card, 3com OfficeConnect 11g access point, 100M Ethernet connection through Zyxel hub /router to NV+

Performance:
Writes - 3.70 MB/s (when it's working - see below)
Reads - 1.07 MB/s (wtf?)

Writes seem pretty quick given the available bandwidth, though it has a habit of freezing for several seconds at a time which brings the long-term average throughput right down. Reads, however, progress steadily but slowly.
Message 54 of 309
alg1
Aspirant

Re: Perf results

patja wrote:
I am seeing some pretty strong results...makes me wonder if I missed something in the Iometer setup instructions, but I've triple checked them. I've done 6 runs now and see:

Writes: 35 or 56 MBps (half the time it is 35, half 56)
Reads: 33, 47, and 72 MBps (of my 6 runs I've got two at each of these)

Everything on the ReadyNAS is setup per the instructions on the forum. I am only sharing as CIFS. No SMB and no HTTP.

The network switch is a SMCGS8

My PC is an ASUS A8N-E, Athlon X2 3800+, 2 GB RAM, onboard gig ethernet (Nvidia)

Do you guys see consistent results from one run to the next?

Which OS did you use for the test?
Message 55 of 309
alg1
Aspirant

sirsycho wrote:
Adding my bit...

Using the recommended settings outlined in the performance post on this forum.

Write MBps: 19.452
Read MBps: 30.759

Here's my setup:

Stock NV
1 x 500GB (NORAID)
All journaling disabled
Fast writes on

AMD64 4800+
A8N32-SLI using the Marvell onboard NIC
2 gigs ram
2 x WD Raptors (RAID0+1)
Windows Vista x86 RC2

Netgear GS608 Gigabit switch (no jumbo frames)
Cat 5e cabling

Now that the GA version of Vista is out, did you repeat the test? Which numbers do you get now? Which drivers did you use?
I am interested in buying the same motherboard... 🙂
Message 56 of 309
lmike
Aspirant

Toms Hardware Review 2006 - Copy still around someplace?

Hi! Way back when (I think March 2006), Tom's Hardware did a nice review of the ReadyNAS NV.. The article has since been pulled but the perf. charts are still available as below..

http://images.tomshardware.com/2006/03/ ... re_big.png

Any chance anybody have the complete article saved someplace? (PDF, Web archive file, or whatever?)

Nonetheless, the above graphs are useful.. Similar charts for the NV+ would be nice..

(awaiting NFS V3 over TCP support so can ReadyNAS NV with VMware)
(wish you could incorporate iSCSI support as well, though this is best postd in the 'features request' forum)

Thanks!
Message 57 of 309
slickdawg
Aspirant

Yuck! Bad performance!!!

I've got a Dell Dimension 9150
3GHz Pentium D
2GB 533mhz DDR2 RAM
Intel 1000 CL built in NIC

I get 12MB read/write, period.

So I went and bought a Netgear GA311 NIC, turned on Jumbo frames,
and I STILL get only 12MB read/write.

I have an NV+, 512MB memory, 4 Seagate ST3400633AS drives, RAID 5

All the journaling is turned off.

Any ideas?
Message 58 of 309
ontwerp
Aspirant

performance is 10% from network...

Hi
All

I use a gigabit switch combined with readynas nv and giga ethercard etc.
Did all that is neces. But i only get a write of approx 10 MB /sec....
It should be 22 approx according to what is written here and there....

Set : jumbo frames, 1000 mbit full duplex, journaling off , optim. etc etc

Stuff is all brand new...

I noticed in the task of xp that network is only about 10% of the max it can handle.... but then again... My system is set to 1000 duplex full etc etc in de driver settings !!!!!!!!!!

Help!
Message 59 of 309
jerryk1
Aspirant

Using old hardware

NV+
XRaid
2 - Seagate 500 GB Baracudda

Switch:
Neatgear FS108 - 100 mbs

PC:
Intel 766 Mhz ( yep really that slow)
512 MB memory
intel 100 MB/sec card

Performance:
7.86 MBs write
7.1 MBs read

I will post again after I switch to a better PC and Gigabyte Sec ethernet.
Message 60 of 309
joove
Aspirant

Significant improvement with Gig + Jumbo..

I used the supplied config (copied the 256_Write into 256_Read as well with 100% read as instructed).

Driver: XP Pro, Athlon 2200+, random drive.

Ready NAS NV+
RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6 [1.00a034]
X-RAID
2 x Seagate ST3320620NS (320 GB each)
CIFS only
Disable Journaling, Fast CIFS Write, Write Caching On
oplocks toggle on.
Slimserver streaming on.

Pre GIG + DL-624 (Dlink wireless) as switch
Read: 8.716 MBps
Write: 10.37 MBps

SMCGS5 GigE switch + Airlink GigE PCI card + Jumbo on
Read: 23.636 MBps
Write: 19.978

All of these were with my regular use setup. Did not bother doing any direct connection benchmarks at all. All in all, a super useful upgrade going to GigE.
    Message 61 of 309
    kamesh
    Aspirant

Hi

i am condsidering purchasing a Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ 256MB - 1TB (Fitted with Four 250GB Seagate Enterprise Series SATA Disks), we had transfer speed problems with a LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID so i need to know that transfer speeds will be good on a ReadyNAS NV+. so i ran the iometer test on my machine to see if we would get good transfer speeds in our gigabit network, now im not too sure if im looking at the correct figures, so could someone please confirm that i am.

on my excel results spreadsheet it says 9.662824 in the MBps column for the write test and 7.783678 in the MBps column for the read test. i am using a dell inspiron 9400 laptop, 1gb ram, 1.66ghz. i ran the test on my internal drive.

would the results still be accurate if the test is ran on my internal drive or do i need to run on a different drive??

thanks
    Message 62 of 309
    yoh-dah
    Guide

kamesh wrote:
    Hi

i am condsidering purchasing a Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ 256MB - 1TB (Fitted with Four 250GB Seagate Enterprise Series SATA Disks), we had transfer speed problems with a LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID so i need to know that transfer speeds will be good on a ReadyNAS NV+. so i ran the iometer test on my machine to see if we would get good transfer speeds in our gigabit network, now im not too sure if im looking at the correct figures, so could someone please confirm that i am.

on my excel results spreadsheet it says 9.662824 in the MBps column for the write test and 7.783678 in the MBps column for the read test. i am using a dell inspiron 9400 laptop, 1gb ram, 1.66ghz. i ran the test on my internal drive.

would the results still be accurate if the test is ran on my internal drive or do i need to run on a different drive??

thanks

kamesh, please open a new thread. This thread is reserved for folks running IOMeter with the ReadyNAS.
    Message 63 of 309
    Tarrant
    Aspirant

Here are my IOMeter results, both before and after I upgraded my ReadyNas NV SODIMM.

System:
    Intel QX6700 on nVidia nForce 680i MB with gigabit LAN, jumbo frames set at 4500, running WinXP Pro
    SMC GS8 Gigabit switch
    ReadyNas NV running Radiator 3.01c1-p6 in XRAID
    4x Maxtor 300GB 7V300F0 drives (yes, I know Maxtors have been a problem for ReadyNAS, but these seem ok)
    Disk write cache: ENABLED
    Journaling: ALL DISABLED
    Fast CIFS Writes: ON
    Force CIFS filename case-sensitivity: ON
    All wired with Cat6 cabling

With original SODIMM, IO-Meter shows:
    Reads: 23.1 MB/sec
    Writes: 8.2 MB/sec

I think my slow writes are due to heavy volume fragmentation. I have had better write performance when I first started using the NV, but now that it's 70% full, writes have degraded in performance.

After installing the Patriot SODIMM, the welcome page of the NV showed Memory: 1024 MB 2-2-2-6. IO-Meter benchmarks now show:

Patriot SODIMM:
    Reads: 20.9 MB/sec
    Writes: 7.8 MB/sec

Any thoughts as to the performance hit after upgrading to 1GB RAM?

--- [ edit ] ---
    played around with jumo frames, and found that I got better performance after turning it off in both my PC's NIC and on the NV.

Jumbo Frames ON:
    Reads: 25.1 MB/s
    Writes: 7.4 MB/s

Jumbo Frames OFF:
    Reads: 25.9 MB/s
    Writes: 20.0 MB/s

weirder and weirder.
    Message 64 of 309
    FlyingLow
    Aspirant

Results fresh out of the box

Here are my results using the IOMeter supplied configuration with the following setup:

Worker: XP Pro SP2, Athlon FX 60, ASUS A8N32-SLI, NVIDIA GigE LAN, 2GB RAM, Seagate 40GB ATAPI drive

Network: Netgear GS608 Gigabit Hub

Ready NAS NV+
    RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6
    256MB RAM
    X-RAID
    4 x Seagate ST3500641AS-RK (500GB)
    CIFS only
    Disable Journaling, Fast CIFS Write, Write Caching On
    Slimserver streaming off
    iTunes streaming on
    UPnP streaming off
    Speed: Auto-Negotiated
    MTU: 1500

Read: 15.2 MBps
    Write: 14.9 MBps

I'm having some errors with the GigE/Jumbo Frames setup, so I'll have to figure that out before posting those numbers.
    Message 65 of 309
    kvdv
    Aspirant

Ready NAS NV+ with RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6
    256MB RAM
    X-RAID with 3 x SATA II (500GB)
    CIFS only
    Disable All Journaling, Fast CIFS Write, Write Caching On
    Slimserver streaming off, iTunes streaming off, UPnP streaming off
    Speed: Auto-Negotiated

Laptop with Intel Core Duo T2400 with 2GB of Ram and onboard GB nic, with a Dlink gigabit router DI-724GU or direct connection [laptop <easynas>this makes NO difference!)

Results:
    Read: 18 MB/sec
    Write: 9 MB/sec

For an EasynNAS nv+ in a gigabit ethernet this is not blazing fast! A lot of people are getting way better results here!

I checked/tried :

- The EasyNAS front-end was not running when testing.
    - The new and short cat 5e cable was provided to me by Dlink so it must be optimal!
    - i'm using the lastest Vista-compatible drivers for my network card
    - i'm not using a UPS
    - i disabled my trend micro virus scanner
    - i enabled 'jumbo frames' in Vista and on the EasyNAS but this made things worse or didn't change anything (can't remember) but certainly no improvement!
    - tried the two add-ons (vistaboost and oplocks), together and seperately but this made things worse or no improvement (can't remember)
    - tried disabling journaling completely but no improvement whatsoever!

i'm running out of ideas.... anyone?

thanks
    Kris
    Message 66 of 309
    Tarrant
    Aspirant

A couple of thoughts ...

1. Could check the NV+ Network tab and see if there are any network errors (just to help rule that out). I think someone once said that > 100 unrecovered TCP retransmits in 24 hrs was bad.

2. As I recall, they may have removed this option in the p6 firmware, but check the Performance tab and see if you can check "Force CIFS filename case-sensitivity" ... I found this made a big difference for me.

3. What hard drives are in the unit? Have you checked the Health tab and their SMART status? Are there unusually high error counts?
    Message 67 of 309
    kvdv
    Aspirant

Tarrant wrote:
    A couple of thoughts ...

1. Could check the NV+ Network tab and see if there are any network errors (just to help rule that out). I think someone once said that > 100 unrecovered TCP retransmits in 24 hrs was bad.

2. As I recall, they may have removed this option in the p6 firmware, but check the Performance tab and see if you can check "Force CIFS filename case-sensitivity" ... I found this made a big difference for me.

3. What hard drives are in the unit? Have you checked the Health tab and their SMART status? Are there unusually high error counts?

1. Sorry, i looked and i looked but i can't find it. Where are the network errors located?

2. You're right, it's been removed in the last firmware version.

3. Oh oh... maybe bad news here... the drives have a green led, but when i click the Smart link is can see with all three:

Start Stop Count 2
    Seek Error Rate 3983913
    Power On Hours 91
    Power Cycle Count 4
    Hardware ECC Recovered 196278575

The Seek Error Rate varies with all 3 drives but is around this number more or less. All the other values are 0.
    Is this bad? THe drives are new and are installed by the dealer.

thanks for the help!
    Kris
    Message 68 of 309
    Tarrant
    Aspirant

I have an NV, not an NV+, but I'm assuming the web GUI is similar. If you go to the Network tab on the left, then Ethernet, then on the page that loads click the "show errors" button on the page, you'll get a pop-up window that lists your network errors.

Regarding your SMART errors, take a look at:
    http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/F ... ld_I_do.3F

If the drives the dealer installed are Seagate drives, then that could explain your falsely high error rates. Read the Wiki, and open your NAS up to check what model drive was installed, then check the hardware compability list to make sure the drive is on there.
    Message 69 of 309
    tkluysk
    Aspirant

performance results with iMac, NV+ 1GB, Dlink DIR655

using iMac core2Duo 2.33Ghz 24inch
    DLINK DIR 655 wireless router/gigabit switch
    ReadyNAS NV+ 1GB, 4 500GB Seagates from the compatibility list (nice and silent those ones!)
    Enable Write Cache, Disable Full Journaling, Enable Fast Writes
    CAT5 cables
    applied
    sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
    from
    http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/F ... _can_do.3F

A dump of my results as I went (quite approximate numbers - I was copying a 100MB file back and forth):

over DLINK DIR 655 wireless router/gigabit switch
    (ReadyNAS Jumbo frames ON)

Mac AFP
    read 22MBs
    write 4MBs

Mac SMB
    read 13MBs
    write 10MBs

direct connect between Mac and NAS
    Mac AFP
    30MBs read
    5MBs write

not a huge improvement compared to passing through the router/switch

Mac SMB
    11MBs read
    9MBs write

Mac Jumbo frames ON, still direct connect
    [To enable jumbo gigabit Ethernet frames on the iMac (up to 9000 bytes), you have to select the "jumbo" maximum packet size in System Preferences:Network:Built-in Ethernet:Ethernet. There is an outdated Apple article explaining which devices supported jumbo frames as of the date of the article (4/22/04):
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107962]

AFP
    read 25MBs
    write 30MBs
    serious write boost!

SMB
    read 11MBs
    write 15MBs
    not much better

Mac and NAS Jumbo Frames ON, this time through dlink DIR655
    AFP (forget SMB)
    read 25MBs
    write 5MBs
    uh-oh, back to square 1

Jumbo frames OFF on Mac AND NAS
    AFP
    read 25MBs
    write 20MBs
    ah-ha - back to 'high' write speeds

The DIR655 clearly does not do good with Jumbo frames. Best to set everything back to MTU 1500 in System Preferences:Network:Built-in Ethernet:Ethernet, AND (very importantly) switch off Jumbo on the NAS, too. Use AFP, not SMB of NFS.

I'm getting myself a SMC_8508T switch to cope with the Jumbo frames, and CAT6 cables to replace my existing CAT5 cables.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32053
    http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/beowu ... mance.html
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=view ... =&pid=1147

Still, I'm not too impressed with the speeds - I want to get to the highs I see on this thread (50MBs). The direct connection with Jumbo frames ON is pretty much the max performance I can expect from my NAS connected to my Mac. Or am I wrong? Anyone know how to boost my performance further? Maybe tune the MTU on the mac to about 7000 instead of 9000, to match the NAS speed better? I'll try that when I get my new switch.
    Message 70 of 309
    dcl
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

Poor Performance - Help Needed

Macbook 1.87 -2 Gb
    NV+ 256mb Diskless , 2 Samsung HD501J - 500GB , Radiator 3.01c1-p6

Settings:
    Speed / Duplex Mode: Auto-Negotiation
    MTU: 7936
    -Enable Disk Write Cache
    -Disable Full Data Journal
    -Enable Fast CIFS Writers

Write MBs per Second: 5.23
    Read MBs per Second: 36.28

Direct connect to Gigabit ethernet
    Message 71 of 309
    musicfan
    Aspirant

PentiumD 3GHz 2GbRAM, LinkSys BEF SR41v4 Etherfast CableRouter with Cat5 cable

NV+ 1024Mb RAM, 4 disks X-RAID 500Gb Seagate ST3500630AS, Radiator 3.01c1-p6, UPS monitored, enable cache, disable journal, fast CIFS, Speed Auto-Negotiation, Smart disk check without problems.

Averages of several standard IOMeter protocol runs with and without jumbo frames enabled on NV+ (no difference) yielded...

Mb/s Write=10.5
    Mb/s Read==9.0
    Message 72 of 309
    yoh-dah
    Guide

musicfan wrote:
    PentiumD 3GHz 2GbRAM, LinkSys BEF SR41v4 Etherfast CableRouter with Cat5 cable

NV+ 1024Mb RAM, 4 disks X-RAID 500Gb Seagate ST3500630AS, Radiator 3.01c1-p6, UPS monitored, enable cache, disable journal, fast CIFS, Speed Auto-Negotiation, Smart disk check without problems.

Averages of several standard IOMeter protocol runs with and without jumbo frames enabled on NV+ (no difference) yielded...

Mb/s Write=10.5
    Mb/s Read==9.0

It doesn't look like your router supports jumbo frames. Have you tried direct-connect?
    Message 73 of 309
    bhoar
    Aspirant

Ok, are you sure you measured Mb/s and not MB/s?

The router is a fast ethernet router, which means maximum throughput is 100Mbit/s (or approximately ~10MByte/s). I'm pretty sure that iometer gives results in MByte/s, so, 10.5MByte/s means you've maxed out your switch.

-brendan
    Message 74 of 309
    Foxivision
    Aspirant

System:
    Intel QX6800 on Asus MB P5W64 WS Professional with gigabit LAN, no jumbo mumbo frames, running WinXP Pro sp2
    2 GB memory, Areca 1220-Raid 6- pci-e(8x) card with 6x 250 gb drives.

Model: Infrant ReadyNAS NV+
    Firmware: RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6 [1.00a034]
    Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
    Volume C: Online, 11% of 2010 GB used
    X-RAID (Expandable RAID), 4 disks

4x Seagate ST3750640NS 698 GB, Write-cache ON, SMART+
    Journaling: ALL DISABLED
    Fast CIFS Writes: ON
    All wired with Cat6 cabling

IO-Meter shows:
    Reads: 27.6 MB/sec
    Writes: 16.8 MB/sec

Does anyone know where this setting below is located ?
    "Force CIFS filename case-sensitivity" ?? cant seem to find it 😞
    I read somewhere that disabling it would improve performance ?

Seeing all other results .. I should be happy with this result... :shock:
    And I am not happy with the speed of it.. I expected more like the speed of the Raid 6 array on one of my video workstations (specs above)..
    this reads 55.6 MB/sec and writes 48.2 MB/sec also over the network from other simular workstations..
    Message 75 of 309
    Top Contributors
    Announcements