× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Post your performance results

glashoppah
Aspirant

Jetlag wrote:
I wasn't aware that this was a competition. (?)

These results are slower than what I was getting at my previous residence where I was able to run lots of dedicated Belden Cat6 lines everywhere before the sheet rock went up. Those cables were run optimally; no kinks, tension or tight corners and they were kept away from line voltage wiring and other potential interference. All terminations were also Cat6. In my new residence my PC now shares a single ~60 foot Home Depot quality Cat5e with my laptop, a printer, an IP Camera and a Slimdevices music streamer. These are all plugged into an inexpensive D-Link switch. An electrician without any apparent network training installed the Cat5e wire, and based upon his horrible terminations (all of which I had to re-terminate) I assume these cables were not run with much attention to detail. Here is an example of his work:

One other issue with this single cable is that it and two other network cables accidentally got cut while work was being done in the utility room. Since it was impossible to replace the cable runs in the finished house I fixed them using Cat5e junction boxes. Not an optimal solution by any means. This single cable then connects to my HP switch which is also connected to my Pro. So yes, I have some nice gear but I am obviously running the speed test over marginal cabling.

I also cannot enable jumbo frames. For some reason my old Linksys AP stops working if I enable JF on the rest of the network. I plan to replace it soon with a new HP V-M200 AP, just waiting for some reviews to get posted first. I even tried flashing my old AP with Tomato and DD-WRT with the same results.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can improve my results on this setup I am open to suggestions. Yes I would love to run new cables, simply not an option unfortunately.

I've seen every type of cable nightmare. I love it when old school telephone guys terminate high-speed Ethernet - what a mess.

Since you're apparently handy with a 110 punchdown tool I'd pull those wires off that wall connector and retwist them nice and tight from the cable right up to the connection points. The only twists that really matter for bandwidth purposes are color for color - blue twisted with blue/white, et cetera.

H.
Message 226 of 309
dbester
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus
RAIDiator 4.2.15
X-RAID2, 2 disks, 32% of 1751 GB used
Seagate ST32000644NS 2TB x 2

NetGear GS724T-300NAS Switch (wtf is the NAS?)

(Old) Home Built PC using Intel Dual Port Gigabit NIC PCIe card.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
Raid Mirror 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drives

LAN Speed Test (02-03-2011 at 22:02:29)
2GB file

---Writing---     ---Reading--- 
Packet length : 2,097,152,000 2,097,152,000
Time to complete: 55.9666840 34.6429079
Bytes per second: 37,471,436 60,536,258
Bits per second : 299,771,488 484,290,064
------------- -------------
Mbps: 285.8843689 461.8549957

Teaming / LAG / Trunking / whatever enabled over 2 ports PC = Switch = NAS.
Jumbo frames NOT enabled. What a bloody nightmare. Maybe with phone tech support I can reconsider.

I also ran Iometer tests: Reads 30-50 MBps, writes 72-83 MBps.

Drag and drop 3.12 GB of Metallica in a folder NAS -> PC 49,328,385 Bytes per second
Drag and drop 3.12 GB of Metallica in a folder PC -> NAS 79,865,004 Bytes per second

The drag tests are self timed, no cache cleared so rather unscientific.
Message 227 of 309
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Azethoth what brand and model disks are you using? Are they on the HCL? How many disks do you have installed?

What version of RAIDiator x86 is installed on the ReadyNAS?

Are you using X-RAID2? If so, the default single-redundancy or the optional dual-redundancy?

The -300 indicates it's the 3rd hardware revision. The NAS indicates that the product is for the North American region and the language of the included documentation.

What disks do you have installed in your PC? Are you using RAID in your PC?

The kind of NIC bonding (http://www.readynas.com/bonding_en-us) used is important too. Do you get better or worse performance if it's disabled?
Message 228 of 309
dbester
Aspirant

Updated the post a bit. Just single redundancy so far on the X-RAID2. I plan on increasing the number of drives later.

Haha yeah the drives are now strictly HCL. I was dumb and got some WD green drives when I first ordered it.

I am using IEEE 802.3ad LACP. I believe I tried to get it to double throughput for all 3 participants.
The Intel dual port card is using Maximum Bandwidth for the LAG setting. I did not mess around with any processor offloading yet.
The switch is using LACP as well. The Ultra 6 Plus is set to LACP as well.

Performance seems improved with LAG. I will need to rerun the non LAG tests again to be sure as my network just changed dramatically with the switch added in and Cat 7 cables (7') replacing a melange of cat 5 - cat5e in a variety of lengths and quality.

I can also do some direct connect runs maybe if that would be of interest, although I would never use it in such a configuration.

Mmm, interesting, I ran the Lan Speed test at 8GB thinking it would be slower due to less caching effects but:
                        ---Writing---     ---Reading--- 
Packet length : 8,388,608,000 8,388,608,000
Time to complete: 191.8078302 121.3541888
Bytes per second: 43,734,440 69,124,998
Bits per second : 349,875,520 552,999,984
------------- -------------
Mbps: 333.6672974 527.3818817
Message 229 of 309
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are multiple factors at play here. Take a look at ReadyNAS Performance Expectations.

There isn't a resync still under way is there? While the drives are syncing sector-by-sector performance is slower.

With a single 7200rpm disk you might expect to achieve 60 MB/s.

Using RAID-1 (or X-RAID2 with 2 disks) changes things up a little. However you have to remember that writes to either machine have to be written to both disks. If you take a look at the Performance section of the Definitive Guide to the ReadyNAS Pro (a machine with the same CPU and with comparable performance) you'll see that NetGear's setup for optimal performance involved having all drive bays in the ReadyNAS full. Presumably they used a multiple disk array in the PC as well.

LACP is a good teaming mode to use. However with your current configuration of disks you can't take advantage of it. You should find that with a RAID-5 array (3+ disk array with single disk redundancy) in each machine that performance is better.

There is a good community addon for testing the internal disk performance in your ReadyNAS called Bonnie++. Obviously with network overheads performance is going to be slower over your network, but it does give you an idea of what the disk configuration you have is capable of.
Message 230 of 309
trackless1
Aspirant

Dell R710 Server, ReadyNAS 3100, GS748Tv3
Jumbo Frames, LACP, MPIO (iSCSI), Flow Control disabled

CIFS: 107 MB/s read, 112 MB/s write
iSCSI: 117 MB/s read, 105 MB/s write
Message 231 of 309
ScottChapman
Apprentice

My I am unimpressed with my new ReadyNas Pro 2. Here is my config:

2 new baracuda 7200.11 drives (on the HCL) - RAID 0
both NICs using LACP
Switch is a Dell Powerconnect 6024 w/jumbo frames enabled, and setup to use LACP for those NICs

Computer is home-built with dual 1Gbs teamed (also LACP)

On the drag and drop test I am seeing around 15MB/sec.

Yikes!
Message 232 of 309
ghdstraightener
Aspirant

really good way get the speed up,have to stick!!!!
http://www.ghdstraighteners-australian.com
Message 233 of 309
cobels
Aspirant

With 256 Mb memory.
--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

Sequential Read : 33.061 MB/s
Sequential Write : 32.817 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 19.201 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 37.401 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 0.520 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 0.736 MB/s

Test Size : 500 MB
Date : 2011/05/08 15:26:49

With 1 GB memory.
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

Sequential Read : 34.167 MB/s
Sequential Write : 35.422 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 34.273 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 37.682 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 4.843 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 3.942 MB/s

Test Size : 500 MB
Date : 2011/05/15 19:05:28

Readynas Duo with jumbo frames enabled. What do you think, let me know.
Message 234 of 309
loquacious
Aspirant

Hi

I just transferred an avi file from my internal hard drive to the NAS. It seemed slow and when I checked the transfer rate it read 11MB/s. The file I was transferring was 770MB. I have the NAS connected through my Fritzbox Router which has gigabit ports through Cat5 cable. My NAS is a Readynas NV+ with two 2 Tb Samsung drives installed. Is this speed normal and if not what can I do to improve it?

Thanks

Loquacious
Message 235 of 309
sphardy1
Apprentice

loquacious wrote:
I have the NAS connected through my Fritzbox Router which has gigabit ports through Cat5 cable.

CAT5 cabling does not support gigabit performance - you need to change your cables for CAT5E or better, else you will be restricted to the 100Mb/s ethernet speeds you are seeing
Message 236 of 309
loquacious
Aspirant

To be honest I am not sure if my cable is Cat5 or Cat5E how can I tell which it is?
Message 237 of 309
dbott67
Guide

Check to see what's written on the cable jacket:

Message 238 of 309
loquacious
Aspirant

I am using the cable that came with the NAS wouldn't that be at least Cat5E ?
Message 239 of 309
loquacious
Aspirant

No matter what I try I cannot get tranfer speeds better than 11MB/s. I have changed cables, even disabled options that were recommended to be disabled to improve speed. The network status on my NAS frontview page says it is "Online / 1000 Mbit / full duplex but still only getting 11Mb / second transfer speeds from my internal hard drives to the NAS.
Message 240 of 309
sphardy1
Apprentice

loquacious wrote:

While that might seem a reasonable expectation, in my experience it is a completely wrong one
Message 241 of 309
loquacious
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
loquacious wrote:

While that might seem a reasonable expectation, in my experience it is a completely wrong one

I'll see if I can buy a CAT6 cable tomorrow
Message 242 of 309
gigiba
Aspirant

I learned a lot from the forum and I would like to help other people as well.
I have been frustrated on the performance of my NV+ for a long time (transferring 4.5GB file from windows to NAS at 7MB/s) and finally I took some serious time and money to find out why.

NV+ w/ 1GB RAM and use default XRAID and 4 2TB seagate LP drive with 32MB cache on HCL.

Here is what I did for troubleshooting:
replaced switch from Trendnet green gigabit switch to Cisco SG200-8. I checked the cisco switch web gui and there is no error on both ports to the NAS and windows PC.
Same slow 7MB/sec transfer

replaced cables from cat 5e to cat 6, verify cisco switch no error on both ports.
same slow 7MB/sec transfer

One of IT guy I work with told me to try update the NIC driver to the latest.
Since I am using onboard NIC, so I checked with Asus web site and it showed that I am using their latest NIC driver, but looking at the date, they haven't come out a new driver for a long time. I went ahead and found out the chip of the NIC (realtek) and download the latest driver from realtek website. I installed the drivers and test it again.

the result: ~22MB/sec

try to download and install the latest NIC driver for your PC from the chip manufacture instead of the motherboard manufacture !
Message 243 of 309
ThurstonX
Aspirant

After some frustration with a new Ultra 4 (populated with 4 x HITACHI Deskstar 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 (0F10311) 2TB 7200 RPM drives in X-RAID2) getting a paltry 6-7 MBps read speed from a newly built Windows 7 64-bit rig, I did some research and found I could run jumbo frames on my Trendnet router (TEW-633GR). Before that I tried TCP Optimizer (ended up resetting to Windows defaults), then using the Vista/Win7 tweaks from SpeedGuide.net (kept most of those), disabled flow control on the Realtek 8111E onboard NIC (briefly got 100 MBps on a large transfer! ... but it didn't hold after a reboot 😞 reset it to Enabled, as there were a lot of network errors produced, even though the copied file, copied back, passed a checksum matching test with the original file) ... I finally got smart and updated the Realtek's driver and enabled jumbo frames on all NICs attached to the HP Procurve 1800-8 G switch, enabling switch-wide JFs on that.

I then did a drag-and-drop copy test of a 9 GB file from the Ultra 4 to the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3 system drive.... over 100 MBps!!! :shock: I was stunned. Repeated that test several times after a few reboots. Pure gold. A driver update + JFs enabled on an old D-Link DGE-530T on an XP Pro SP3 box also resulted in increased read speeds from the Ultra 4 (in the low 30s MBps). Similarly my original Infrant (remember THEM!!! 😉 ) ReadyNAS (Sparc-powered 256 MB of RAM little beast 🙂 ) also benefited from JFs being enabled. But the Ultra 4 + new Win 7 rig combo was my main concern.

I was really worried about that nice Procurve switch, but it's a rock, so I wasn't willing to throw it under the bus.

As far as the Vista/Win7 tweakable parameters go, you just gotta play with them, but the SpeedGuide.net page is a gem.

re: IOMeter, I messed around with it a bit on the XP box, but for my purposes the practical drag-and-drop tests were sufficient indicators that the problem had been well and truly licked. I'd be happy to drag IOMeter out and run it on both PCs and post results, but someone smarter than me is going to have to tell me how to get meaningful results. For example, after opening the .icf file provided by Infr-- errrrr, Netgear, and running the tests, there was nothing listed for Read Speed in MBps. The Write test seemed to indicate 44/45 MBps, and that seems about right. Didn't have time to mess around with it further.

Anyway, hope these anecdotal data will help someone or provide encouragement to tinker.

Cheers.

I should add that this is with CIFS and HTTP/S the only enabled services, and that the Ultra 4 and the original ReadyNAS are running the current RAIDiators for each model.
Message 244 of 309
mmihai
Aspirant

i'm a new user of readynas products. Mistakenly bought the nv+, however I decided to do some damage control and optimize the nas as much as possible. Spent 3 days researching these forums and others. The results are as follows:

Real-life speed figures:

write: 27 - 30 MB/s
read: 33 - 35 MB/s

IOMETER test (never seen such figures on a sustained basis in real-life):
write: 33.6 MBps
read: 38.59 MBps

Using:
    CIFS
    Realtek onboard nic, 7K Jumbo frames on, latest drivers
    cat 6 cables
    tplink 1043 router
    windows 7 with LM2 fix
    4.1.7, minimal services enabled
Message 245 of 309
resma
Aspirant

working good.thanx
Message 246 of 309
Ruebe69
Aspirant

Hi,

my performance results :

Read 75-92 MB/s
Write 60-75 MB/s

Im uising 6 x WD 2TB WDEARX

JumboFrames activated / Windows 7

Im really happy with my ReadyNas Ultra 6 🙂
Message 247 of 309
Mr_B
Guide

ReadyNAS NV+, (4xST2000VX002-1AH166, Seagate SV35) "upgraded" with 1GB ram. Gigabit network crossing a DELL PowerConnect 2724, and a D-link DGS-1008D. Using CAT5 cable, FTP. System running the test is a C2D E8400 on a Gigabyte EP45-DS4, 4GB memory.
I went with LAN Speed Test, 2GB test size, and got 57.9396744 Mbps writes, and 76.1343002 reads.
IOmeter provides a test result i'm not sure how to look at, it says 11.82 MBs per Second. 256K write, 2048000 sectors. (Ends up being a 1GB testfile)

It's not like the results match, so to speak.
B!
Message 248 of 309
mcnettie
Aspirant

Hi

I would love some help here please. I am tired of the rubbish transfer speeds I'm seeing from my ReadyNAS, especially now I'm streaming music and video.

Surely I should be seeing better than the iometer results of 4.5MB/s read and 15MB/s write !!!

I have my PC (Lenovo R61) setup on my table next to the ReadyNAS NV+ with a new Netgear GS605AV in between and 1m Cat5e cables.

NAS has 4x 500GB discs (2 Seagate, 2 Samsung). 1GB RAM. Auto NIC, MTU 1500, No jumbo frames, only CIFS and HTTP enabled.
PC has latest(!) Vista, Intel GB NIC, 2GHz CPU, 3GB RAM.

I'm convinced the problem is with the ReadyNAS as even moving files between shares is painfully slow.

All advice welcome please!
Message 249 of 309
Triple_t
Aspirant

Hi All,

My performance on the DUO with 2 samsung hd103UJ 931GB in X-Raid

drop files (4GB):
write: 19.2 MB/s
read: 34.3 MB/s

IOMETER test (3GB):
write: 25.6 MBs
read: 35.8 MBs

LAN Speed test v 1.1.7 (3GB):
write: 13.65 MB/s
read: 38.84 MB/s

Intel NAS Performance Toolkit:
write: 19.3 MB/s
read: 32.6 MB/s

Using:
CIFS
NVIDIA onboard nic, 7K Jumbo frames OFF, on both Duo and Nic! (gives better results)
cat 6 cables
windows 7
RAIDIATOR: 4.1.9-T2

I'm happy now with the results. I had to install the beta 4.1.9-T2 because 4.1.8 gives terrible results and also disabling the jumbo frames improved my results.
Message 250 of 309
Top Contributors
Announcements