× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power failure

pauldurdin
Aspirant

Power failure

This morning the device is not working at all - no lights, nothing. The power adaptor is proving 12V, but there is no activity on the NAS.

I'm looking for advice about what to do next. Is there any diagnostics that i can perform? I have checked inside and ther dopesnt seem to be any damage. I have checked the battery (2032) and that is fine.

Is there any possibility of repair / spare parts etc or a company that might being able look at this?

Does Netgear provide any sort of support in this area?

If i cant fix the unit then i have very important data on four disks that i want to access. How do i do this? buy another working unit? if so what?

Help!!

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Power failure

Try removing the disks and powering up - then see if RAIDar detects the NAS.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

The NAS chassis isn't repairable.  The warranty is 3 years for the original purchaser, so check the warranty status.

@pauldurdin wrote:

If i cant fix the unit then i have very important data on four disks that i want to access. How do i do this?

One lesson here is that RAID isn't enough to protect your data.  After this problem is resolved you should put a backup plan in place.

Your options are:

1. Purchase a new ReadyNAS and migrate the disks.  Any OS-6 model will work for this, though an RN214 would be the closest model to what you have.
  2. If you have linux skills, you can connect all four disks to a PC running linux (either SATA or via a USB adapter/dock).  You can then manually install the data volume.  
Message 2 of 8
pauldurdin
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have taken the drives out and nothing. No lights, no fan, nada. So RAIDar doesnt get started! It feels like a power supply failure so i'm tempted to buy a new adaptor - must be worth a try @ £13. The pins have 12V on them, but that doesnt mean that it is supplying enough when loaded.

The other thing a thought of was that i should check that the fan works. It wouldn't be the first computer that wont start because of an interlock.

You are right about a backup solution. This has been a long running topic. I used to use tapes but they were unrelaible. These days i want off site storage, e.g. cload storage. The two possibilities that i tried previously didnt seem to work reliably. My latest thought was to sync with another device located somewhere else - but havent got round to it yet.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't have a 104, but I am not aware of any ReadyNAS that will fail to start because of a non-fuctioning fan.  The power supply does sound like a possibility.  Can you measure the input voltage (with the load connected)?

Message 4 of 8
pauldurdin
Aspirant

some (long) time ago i had a pc that failed to start because it was monitoring the fans feedback signal to check that they were operating, and one of the fans had died. I wondered if the NAS was doing the same (otherwise what is the point of the feedback signal wire).

I checked the power supply on it's own and i see 12v.

I checked the fan with a separate 12v supply and it works fine, and substituted with another that had monitoring points.

Without the fan connected i see 12v on the pins on the NAS circuit board, but when i plug in (either fan) the voltage drops to nearly zero. So i'm buying a replacement power supply. I'm assuming that there is a high impedance in the power supply - either a damaged cable or dry joint somewhere.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Hopefully, it's just the supply.  The other possibility is that something in the NAS is shorting out the 12V (maybe a bad capacitor).  Did you also measure resistance into the NAS to see it's not a dead short?

I once bought a used, non-working NAS being "sure" I could fix it with a power supply swap.  No such luck, it was something shorted on the motherboard.  But the rest of the parts were worth what I paid.

Message 6 of 8
pauldurdin
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. The replacement power pack turned up today, but didn't fix the problem. Gonna have to get more technical with the motherboard i think.

What did you mean by measureing the resitance into the NAS? I cant access the internals of the power pack.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Do a resistance measurement at the power input of the NAS with the power pack disconnected.  It sounds like you may have a dead short, or close to it.  A bad capacitor can do that.  Of course, if the short is on the downstream side of one of the voltage regulators, you won't see anything there.  You could look at the drive power connection for that.

If you do see a dead short, look for bulging capacitors.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements