× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro 6 Radiator 4.2 to OS6 and TimeMachine backups

blue-scouser
Aspirant

Pro 6 Radiator 4.2 to OS6 and TimeMachine backups

I am running 4.2 on a Pro 6. I want to upgrade to OS6.

Assuming I backup my volumes prior to the upgrade, will I be able to restore my TimeMachine backups from my 4.2 system to the new OS6 system so that once OS6 is up, and I have restored the TimeMachine backup files from my original backup, TimeMachine on my Macs will find their backups?

Is the OS6 TimeMachine backups directory architecture the same as 4.2? What problems can I expect assuming the OS6 upgrade goes OK.

Model: RNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6 3TB (3 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Pro 6 Radiator 4.2 to OS6 and TimeMachine backups

I'm not a Mac user, so I have no direct experience here.  But based on other forum posts, I am thinking you will have trouble restoring the TimeMachine backups (so you should probably consider the consequences if you lose them).

Overall, there are a lot of differences between OS6 and 4.2.x - different Debian linux, different file system, etc.

Message 2 of 4
blue-scouser
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up.

I was hoping that the time capsules TimeMachine uses are the same format as what the Mac expects. I guess I will have to consider if the upgrade is worth the effort.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@blue-scouser wrote:

I was hoping that the time capsules TimeMachine uses are the same format as what the Mac expects. 

I don't think it's about a different format.

One challenge is that they generally aren't stored in a share, so that makes them hard to locate.  Another is that the sparse file format might get the way of copying them.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements