× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with sending email alerts

ncollingridge
Aspirant

Problem with sending email alerts

I logged onto my ReadyNAS Duo the other day to discover that there were a long list of alerts waiting for me. I investigated in System->Alerts and found the settings all correct but emails are not getting through. As a result I tried some alternative settings as follows:

1. Internal server - email reached my server but was rejected with the following message: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<> to=<nick@xxxx.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<NASname>, where nick@xxxx.com was my correct email address and NASname is the name I have given my ReadyNAS Duo. Note that there is obviously no 'from' address in the incoming email (not possible to set this in the FrontView), and I believe there is a config issue with the built-in server due to the error mentioning the absence of a FQDN.

2. Custom Server - however I configure this all that happens is I get an error message saying 'Failed to contact SMTP server'. This happens whether I use an internal server on the network here or an external server outside the network, and whether I use a local IP address or a FQDN.

What is going on with this? Is the email alert functionality totally broken? if so, is there any possibility of a fix? I do need to know about failed drives et al without having to log on to the NAS on a regular basis.

I have tried this with 4.1.8, 4.1.9 and 4.1.10 and all exhibit the same behaviour.
Message 1 of 5
JanEnEn
Aspirant

Since there is no response yet and my guesses are that many a newby on this subject will run into the same problem I contribute the following:

Having met an equivalent problem (bounces for the non ISP domain mail accounts) I realised, that may be my ISP, through which usually all SMTP messages will flow, is blocking the relay of messages when unidentified by them.
I wanted to use three mail accounts:
1. MyName@MyISP.com
2. MyName@gmail.com
3. MyName@MyWebHosting.com
Since I used three different domains the SMTP service at MyISP.com will not allow me (anti-SPAM measure) to relay the messages to gmail.com and MyWebHosting.com

The solution for me was to properly set the field EMail Provider in the ReadyNAS System/Alert page.
In order to overcome this issue, I used neither the 'Internal' nor the 'Custom' function but the 'GMAIL' function. Doing so I use Google's mailing service to relay the alerts to the other two domains.
Message 2 of 5
ncollingridge
Aspirant

In my case I have fixed the problem by setting my using the mail server on my LAN and setting it to no longer require a FQDN in mail messages sent to it or using it. This option is obviously not available if you don't have your own mail server. Having made this change I can now use both a custom server (the one on my LAN) or the Internal option.

This is with 4.1.10, which also does now have an "advanced setting" which enables you to set the email address the alerts are sent from. I do not recall seeing this option previously although since I am not going to downgrade the firmware to check I can't say for certain whether the option was or was not there before.
Message 3 of 5
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

What is the host name of your NAS and what do you have in Network > Global Settings > Domain Name?
Message 4 of 5
cnewman65
Initiate

I noticed two things after upgrading, dns went bye bye, had to go dhcp and back to manual to recover dns entries.

Using the ip addres of the smtp server worked, the way I figured out DNS went away in the global settings
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements