× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with Acronis True Image

TheBigMan
Follower

Problems with Acronis True Image

Hi, Using my ReadyNas Duo V2 as a back up for my business systems through Acronis True Image 2012..

I recently had a bad virus on my laptop and needed to do a factory reset... did the factory reset and went into the NAS to restore my files from the backup,... it wound all the incremental backups, I selected the one I wanted and it started to restore them no problem, but it was doing it over the wifi and it was very slow (6 Hours for 50gb) I have now tried 3 times, and everytime it gets to 30 minutes to go the whole thing just stops...

Is there a quicker way of connecting the ReadyNas Duo to the computer, directly by ethernet or by USB??, I have tried plugging the ethernet into the back of the NAS and into the Laptop but the laptop did not find anything??

Any suggestions would be appreciated... do you have to have theses NAS's as Wifi or can you have it permanently wired into a Desktop by USB while still accessing it wireless through your router for a laptop???

Thanks
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems with Acronis True Image

You can connect to the NAS from your computer either by WiFi or by Ethernet. You cannot connect by USB.

Ethernet is certainly better than WiFi for restoring (and making) Acronis backups. WiFi connections are slower and less reliable. You really don't want the connection to drop in the middle of your Acronis restore.

The simple way is to bring your laptop to your router location, and plug it into the router. You should also disable your WiFi connection, since sometimes Windows foolishly chooses the slower WiFi link.

The other option is to bring your laptop to the NAS, and directly connect it. You will need to set a static IP address on your laptop (which one depends on whether your NAS is set up to use DHCP or a static IP address).

Generally connecting the laptop to the router is the way to go. But if you have a fast ethernet router (100 mbit) and a gigabit NIC card in the laptop, you should probably try the direct connect, since it will be quite a bit faster.

BTW, I had to restore a laptop using TrueImage this summer (my backups are saved on my Pro), and didn't have any problems.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements