× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Python on 6.7.1

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Python on 6.7.1

I recently updated my firmware from 6.6.1 to 6.7.1 and this broke sabnzbd a bit.  Looks like somewhere along the line, the firmware started including an older version of python (2.7.3).  I also have 2.7.11 installed in /usr/local and has been working fine and prior to the firmware update, sabnzbd would find that version of python  but now sabnzbd is finding the older version of python in /usr/bin

Does anyone have any knowledge about if and when python was bundled with OS6...and what I might be able to do to force sabnzbd to use the newer version of python?

Message 1 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Dewdman42,

Each time there is a firmware update, app developers need to check if thier apps are compatible with the update and if it is not, they would have to release an update for the app and submit it to Netgear.

I suggest try contacting the developer/author of the app.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

ha, they told me to contact you.  I have to figure it out myself.  I would just like some clarification at this point at what version of python is included with 6.7.x and what I might be able to do to either upgrade it or force a newer version of python to be used by web apps and stuff.   I'm not super knowledgeable about managing two versions of python at the same time, particularly with regards to libs and stuff...and particularly when they are both located in two seperate places.  Looks like readynas now includes some kind of minimal python under /usr/bin, which I never knew about until right now.

Previously I had python 2.7.11 working, installed under /usr/local.  In the past python was not included with the readynas, I'm not sure when it became part of the firmware.  When I upgrade from 6.6.1 to 6.7.1, suddenly my various web apps started using an older version of python located at /usr/bin (version 2.7.3).  I am not at all sure why before the upgrade web apps were finding the newer version I have under /usr/local.  Certainly I was getting the newer one from the command line.

In any case, I riskly, ran "apt-get upgrade python" and python was upgraded to 2.7.9 along with quite a lot of other stuff (hope that was ok), which seems to have fixed the issue I was having with one web app that didn't like the old python, but in retrospect, I think I would have rather preferred to figure out that proper way get the newer version of python to just be used instead of the one at /usr/bin...

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Dewdman42,

I see 2.7.9 when I installed it on a 6.7.1 FW. Have you checked with Poussin?

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

when you installed what?  His python package?

I didn't ever use his package on OS6.  I used it in the past with OS4.  For OS6 I think I just installed python the standard linux way on /usr/local...but SOMETHING with 2.7.3 was installed under /usr/bin at some point...and I only noticed it after the firmware update,

Let's start with one question at a time.

does any version of the FW include python under /usr/bin?

If not, then I have to assume that something installed an older version of /usr/bin/python 2.7.3, possibly a "minimal" version.  I have no idea how or when that happened.  On FW6.6.1, my manually installed python2.7.11 (/usr/local) was getting picked up everywhere, including my web apps.  After the FW update to 6.7.1, suddenly the web apps were using the python under /usr/bin.  So I don't really know if it was already there before but somehow getting ignored, or if the new firmware brought it in somehow or what...    

I already ran "apt-get upgrade python", for better or worse, which updated /usr/bin/python and a bunch of dependencies to python 2.7.9.  The other newer python under /usr/local had a lot more python extras and stuff and had accumulated over time using it.  I might have even built that from source, I don't remember now.

At this point I just want some clarity about why kind of python is installed by Netgear onto my machine in /usr/bin, if at all.  If OS6 is expecting it to be under /usr/bin, then I should probably just use that one and get rid of the newer python I installed under /usr/local.

Will I break any dependencies in OS6 by updating /usr/bin/python (compilng src I guess) to 2.7.11?  I don't neccessarily need to right now, but just wanna know if there any dependencies I would break by doing that.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Dewdman42 wrote:

At this point I just want some clarity about why kind of python is installed by Netgear onto my machine in /usr/bin, if at all.  

Netgear doesn't install or use python, so I am puzzled by your question.

Message 6 of 8
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

welll I am puzzled also, I do not understand why the FW update would have suddenly exposed it under /usr/bin and it appears it may be a "minimal" version of it, not entirely sure right now.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Dewdman42 wrote:
welll I am puzzled also, I do not understand why the FW update would have suddenly exposed it under /usr/bin and it appears it may be a "minimal" version of it, not entirely sure right now.

It is not showing on my RN526 (running 6.7.3).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements