× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question about resetting

pofrani
Aspirant

Question about resetting

Hi all,
I want to know -
I have a readynas duo with 2x 1tb seagate drives.
I have read that if I pressed the reset button on the back for more than 10seconds, it will do a complete factory reset (but in order to do this, it needs to have a drive inside it).

Now, I was wondering, is it possible to take one of the drives out (leaving 1 drive inside), then factory reset it.. then replace the 2nd drive I pulled out (containing my data) and duplicate that onto the other (first) drive?
This way I wont have to make a backup and I won't lose anything?!

Is that possible?
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I don't think that will work. I suspect the duo will sync the 2nd drive to the first one (which is not what you want).

I am wondering why you want to do a factory reset?
Message 2 of 7
pofrani
Aspirant

Because Transmission's stopped working and I just cannot get it to work again.

I was thinking reset the Duo and take the hard drive out and put the other back in (with my original data)? then sync it to the other blank one?
Message 3 of 7
dbott67
Guide

All of the data & config settings are stored on the drives, so even if you could "restore" the data using your proposed method everything would be exactly the same as it is now.

*Most* add-on issues can be rectified using a firmware re-installation which resets admin password, network settings and a few other things, but leaves your data volume intact. Then, re-configure your NAS settings and re-install Transmission and any other add-ons.

If you wish to factory default/reset, you'll need to:

1. Backup your data to USB or other external device (and verify it)
2. Backup the config (if desired)
3. Factory reset.
4. Restore config (or manually recreate shares, users, permissions, etc)
5. Restore data
6. Re-install add-ons
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

This is a better order:

1. Backup your data to USB or other external device (and verify it)
2. Backup the config (if desired)
3. Factory reset.
4. Re-install add-ons
5. Restore config (or manually recreate shares, users, permissions, etc)
6. Restore data

If you restore the config before re-installing the add-ons, you usually have some installation failures (which require going back to the factory reset to fix).
Message 5 of 7
dbott67
Guide

StephenB wrote:
If you restore the config before re-installing the add-ons, you usually have some installation failures (which require going back to the factory reset to fix).

Good catch! 😎
Message 6 of 7
pofrani
Aspirant

hmm thank you for the tips.
guess i have no choice but to make a backup and full reset.
it's only my photos and home videos stuff. so no fancy user security stuff to worry about.

i'll find a spare drive to do the backup then.
thanks all.

any of you by any chance have an HP microserver as well? is that better? (i know off topic)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements