× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDiator 4.2.30 where to rollback snapshots?

DurocShark
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4.2.30 where to rollback snapshots?

We have a ReadyNAS 3200 still running RAIDiator 4.2.30. There are snapshots on there that are taken every 8 hours. I need to roll back to one of them, but I don't see the option anywhere. I see where to set them up on the web interface. I see them visible as shares when browsing the device on the network, but I don't see any option to go back to one of them.

Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS RN12P0000|ReadyNAS 3200 Chassis only
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: RAIDiator 4.2.30 where to rollback snapshots?

Snapshots on RAIDiator 4 and snapshots on ReadyNAS OS 6 are two completely different features.

• Snapshots on ReadyNAS OS 6 are BTRFS snapshots, which allow block level versioning and are implemented on subvolumes. They allow to setting a subvolume read-only so that all write operations are committed to another subvolume. You retain both subvolumes (or more) until consolidation is requested by the user or the system.
  • Snapshots on RAIDiator 4 are just a buffer area and a time window. During the time window, all the write operations on the data won't be committed to the volume but to that buffer area instead. When the time window ends, all the data from the buffer area is consolidated with the main volume. This is useful for taking consistent backups of the data volume but can't be used for versioning.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
DurocShark
Aspirant

More information:

If I use credentials that have no rights to the ReadyNAS, and try to open one of the -SNAP shares through Windows Explorer, it bounces with invalid credentials. But if I use credentials that do have permissions, I get Error code: 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found.

Message 2 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Snapshots on RAIDiator 4 and snapshots on ReadyNAS OS 6 are two completely different features.

• Snapshots on ReadyNAS OS 6 are BTRFS snapshots, which allow block level versioning and are implemented on subvolumes. They allow to setting a subvolume read-only so that all write operations are committed to another subvolume. You retain both subvolumes (or more) until consolidation is requested by the user or the system.
  • Snapshots on RAIDiator 4 are just a buffer area and a time window. During the time window, all the write operations on the data won't be committed to the volume but to that buffer area instead. When the time window ends, all the data from the buffer area is consolidated with the main volume. This is useful for taking consistent backups of the data volume but can't be used for versioning.
Message 3 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 4 of 12
DurocShark
Aspirant

Well, crap. 

We got hit with a cryptolocker attack, and was hoping to bring the data back through snapshots. I had inherited this system here, and assumed (you know what that's worth) functionality that apparently isn't there.

I still can't access the snaps which I find odd. 

Thanks anyway!

Message 5 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

@DurocShark wrote:

We got hit with a cryptolocker attack

Ouch!

I sincerely hope you'll be able to recover your data. I have heard that some free tools were made public to attempt decryption, maybe you can try to research in this direction.

Message 6 of 12
DurocShark
Aspirant

Most things we're getting. The backups on this ReadyNAS are crap so I was hoping the snapshots would hold the data. Silly me...  Kaspersky and a few others have tools for those, but we got hit with a newer variant of Dharma that doesn't have a crack for it yet. 

Message 7 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

To be fair, the confusion between both snapshot features is quite common.

Best of luck with the recovery.

I presume that's what mentioned: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/kaspersky-releases-decryptor-for-the-dharma-ransomwar...

There are new versions already? Not cool 

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If some/all of the data you need is not needed urgently you could put the 12 disks aside somewhere (label order) and try to recover the data again if/when the newer variant has been cracked.

Then get 12 new enterprise disks and put those in the ReadyNAS (disks larger than 2TB are only supported by bays 1-4).

Though it's not supported you can run OS6 on your ReadyNAS. Provided the cryptolocker doesn't directly infect the NAS (where it could delete all the snapshots) but rather infects a PC that encrypts files on e.g. a mapped network drive that's mapped to a share on the NAS, snapshots of that share should help, but it would be best to have some offline backups as well e.g. to USB disk, tape etc.

With our automatic snapshots on OS6 if the volume is getting full we start deleting older snapshots but keep the two most recent ones on each share.

Depending on the use case it may be advisable to only keep a small number of snapshots anyway. For snapshots to work effectively you do want to try to avoid going close to filling the volume with current data.

Restricting who can write to what can also help limit your vulnerability to ransomware.

Message 9 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Make sure you have a BACKUP!!!  A NAS is not a Backup.  if you had a backup, you could have just reformated the HDD on the NAS and reinstall the files from the backup and your problem would have been solved.

It's to late now if you don't have a backup, but once you get fixed, keep a backup of your NAS. Any number of things could go wrong to cause you to lose all your Data.  For example, a HDD fails, ok, you pop in a new replacment, it starts rebuilding your HDD, and because it's really working your older HDD, another one fails.  You've now lost your data.  Unless you're using RAID 6 which allows 2 HDD to fail.  But you lose more HDD storage space.    How about while not at home your house gets broken into and your NAS is stolen.  How about if your house catches on fire?  I backup to a couple 8TB bare drives I plug into a Dock when done. I place in a plasric HDD case and throw them into my Fire resistant safe which is bolted down of course.  IF something happens, including what happened in this case, you have a backup of at least most of your Data.  

My Important files on my PC and documents get automatically backed up with Carbonite.  So it's all off site.  I can access it on my iPad if I want or any other computer.  So that's nice.  I know it can be a hassle, and time consuming.  It's easier if you have another NAS you can just copy to that way and more automatic.  Ransomware sucks!  I did something dumb one day and got hit on my Windows PC, but luckly I was able to fix it without paying a penny.

Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like the NAS was a backup as it held backups of e.g. a server(?). However as the PC/server got hit by cryptolocker the backups on the NAS were overwritten and became pretty much useless until/unless a crack for the cryptolocker variant that encrypted the files is found.

Configured appropriately snapshots on OS6 can help provide some protection, but certainly you shouldn't rely on those alone. Multiple backups preferably including an offline backup (e.g. disconnected USB disk or tape) is preferable to be able to fall back on if needed.

Message 11 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Which is why my backup is not physically connected and always backing up. It's locked up in the safe.   I'll pull them out to update them and then lock them back up again.  Anti Virus software on the NAS turned off?  Not working?  Couldn't put a stop to this issue?  

If you really need the data and have no other choice, you may have to just PAY UP!!!  I don't know how much they're asking though.  Is it $100 or $10,000.   $100 might be worth it, $10,000, not unless you'rea big company.  How much value do you place on that data?  Can you afford to lose it?   That's really what it comes down to.  

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements