× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS NV endless reboot - new PSU - Reset no luck.

nogden
Follower

READYNAS NV endless reboot - new PSU - Reset no luck.

Readynas NV - in service since 2007-ish
original power supply (now a new PSU).

Running 4.1.7

I updated to 4.1.7 around Apr 23, from probably 4.0-something. I did not have any issues at that time. Around april 30th I notice the readynas was not accessible on the network. I went to the physical machine and it was running and lights were normal with some activity. While watching, the NV appeared to shutdown and reboot. After reboot the NV did not stay up, it appeared to do a filesystem check then rebooted again. At that point I pulled the plug for later troubleshooting.

In the next few days I plugged in the power and the unit booted automatically. It began a file system check and rebooted again before completing. Knowing this was the original power supply and the long storied problems I assumed the power supply was bad and ordered a new PSU.

A week later I installed the new PSU and the problem repeated as with the old power supply, although it did not trip the GFI protection like the old PSU.

Since the power supply was not the culprit I borrowed the readynas NV+ from my work, removed the drives, and inserted the NV drives into the NV+. The unit booted fine and was stable, I was able to access the old NV data. So the filesystem appears to be fine, and not part of the reboot problem. I was able to download the logs at this time. Logs show that it is rebooting about every 2 minutes.

I then installed a fresh 500gb drive into the NV and begain a new install on that disk. The filesystem was created successfully and as I began to search for the new default password, the NV began rebooting. So a fresh install did not resolve the issue. I was able to download the logs at this time. Logs also show that it is rebooting about every 2 minutes.

I then re-seated the memory, which did not resolve the issue. Other things I had tried where trying to reset the system with the hole in the back and the power button, The power button appeared to have no effect on shutting down or accessing reset functions.

Now that I have an extra PSU and that expense, I'm hoping that there is another way to reset the hardware so that the NV has not become a doorstop.
I've searched the forums and internet and found numerous endless reboot threads, but non of the remedies seem to do anything and many of the threads end with RMA (which this is too old) or send the logs and no more.

Again, I have logs if anyone can decipher them.
Message 1 of 5
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Re: READYNAS NV endless reboot - new PSU - Reset no luck.

From logs and symptoms, I am pretty sure that power button is the culprit, prove:
(1) When you plug in power, it power on by itself. This is not normal behavior, NV/NV+ should stay off until you press power button
(2) All restart recorded as cold startup, not warm reboot. If you pay close attention, you can probably note that there is a short period of "power off", even hear power off noise from hard disk(s).
(3) As you described, power button seems not working.

I am still puzzled by the behavior (This is the first case such symptom is reported), because:
(1) Power button is not stuck permanently, otherwise, NAS will stay off after power off by software when stuck button is detected. You can verify this by press and hold your NV+ power button, system will be off and keep off.
(2) Power button is not stuck for longer than 10 seconds. If power button is held long than 10 seconds, then it should boot into one of state that power button will be ignored that you won't be able to see reboot pattern.
(3) Power button has to be stuck for longer than 5 seconds to be recognized as valid power off request.

So, when you plug in power, power button is generating repetitive pulse that is longer than 5 seconds but shorted than 10 seconds. Sounds to me that one of two capacitors related to power switch is faulty(one is for power button de-bouncing. The other for keep NV default off when you plug in AC, this is the one more likely to cause your problem). Could you please do below experiment: Press and hold power button when NV does this 2 minute reboot cycle(Why 2 minute? because that is when hotplug agent is loaded and detecting power switch), does it change its behavior. Normally, when you press and hold power switch during boot time, all disk LEDs blinks every 5 seconds and enter into different boot mode depends on when you release the power switch 5th second(Skip Volume check) 10th second (TFTP) 15th (Tech support) 20th (USB boot) 25th (memory test) 50th and above (TFTP).

Depends on outcome of your experiment, we can identify which capacitor is probably guilty. The fix is to take it off(or simply cut it).
The software work around is: Don't load power switch hotplug agent. The draw back is that you have to shutdown from FrontView. (When you put NV hard disks into NV+, you can ssh into it, modify hotplug load script, or kill it if it is loaded, after change the scripts, move them back to NV. Software will then ignore power switch no matter how faulty it is).
Message 2 of 5
stanger89
Aspirant

I'm having a very similar problem with my X6. Although for me, judging by the lights, it's rebooting about every 17 seconds. Besides that though it behaves exactly as you predict, it comes on automatically when I plug it in (or hit the switch on the back), if I hold the power switch down, after turning it on, it will go through the power menu (TFTP boot, memory test, etc).

I'd be interested to know what capacitor to try (or anything else) or better yet the software fix. Though I don't have a spare X6 to put the disks in, I have "successfully" mounted the disks in a linux machine. Though I'm not sure how to mount the "system" volume to change the startup scripts or pull logs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
stanger89
Aspirant

I believe I got the logs off the drives if anyone thinks they'd help.
Message 4 of 5
lundmark1
Aspirant

C3PO: I tried the experiment months ago and didn't get any result beyond the starting up and turning off, or no start-up. I intended to go back and try again, or try to remote in to turn off the hotplug agent. I couldn't find how to do this and wasn't able to ssh. At this point I'm thinking to cut the capacitor, can you diagram where to cut?

Thanks.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements