× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: READYNAS RND2000-100NAS

bdrsd
Aspirant

READYNAS RND2000-100NAS

I've had my ReadyNAS Duo for a decade. last year the hard drive failed. I tried to recover the data but the recovery company wanted too much money. I purchased a new Western Digital drive recently and had it installed at BestBuy (simple but at my level of maturity I didn't figure it out!). It is connected to the network but I now have a new desktop computer that I am working on.

RAIDiator is installed and can see the NAS unit OK. I've tried to log into the NAS unit via it's IP address and when it asked me to sign in the ID and password that I had in the past no longer works.

What software should I have loaded to my new desktop (HP All-In-One) if any and is there a process to reset the admin password or a default ID and password I should try.

Frustrating. I have a number of Netgear products and this one lasted for a long time but I want to continue utilizing it.

I appreciate any feedback and guidance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
bdrsd
Aspirant

StevenB:

You were a fantastic help. As I moved forward your CIFS comment came into play and was a final answer to getting things up and running. Looks good now (although only 2T of the 4T drive I purchased is utilized it still is worth it). Maybe someday there will be a way I can utilize the other 2T but for now all is up, running and good. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@bdrsd wrote:

I purchased a new Western Digital drive recently and had it installed at BestBuy (simple but at my level of maturity I didn't figure it out!).

One thing to be aware of is that your NAS can't handle drives bigger than 2 TB. If you added something bigger, you need to exchange it.

Some drives work better than others.  If you do end up needed to exhange it with a 2 TB model, then I suggest either using a Western Digital WD20EFRX ("Red Plus") or a Seagate ST2000VN004 ("Ironwolf").  I don't recommend using a Western Digital WD20EFAX - it uses a technology called SMR which can cause issues with some ReadyNAS.

@bdrsd wrote:

RAIDiator is installed and can see the NAS unit OK. I've tried to log into the NAS unit via it's IP address and when it asked me to sign in the ID and password that I had in the past no longer works.

The NAS installs the OS from the disk(s), and boots from the disk(s).  All your configuration info (including your old password) was on the old disk, so you are using the default settings (unless the best buy tech changed them).

If you are using https://ip-address/admin then you need to use admin as the username.  The default password is netgear1.  So try that.

You will get a security warning, which you need to ignore.

@bdrsd wrote:

What software should I have loaded to my new desktop (HP All-In-One)

You don't need any special software, but you do need to enable the SMB 1/CIFS client on the PC.  You'll find that in "turn windows features on or off".  Windows will warn you about security, but you need to ignore that - your NAS requires SMB 1.

Message 2 of 5
bdrsd
Aspirant

I appreciate the feedback and guidance. I was able to access the unit late yesterday and I tried the default password. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
bdrsd
Aspirant

StevenB:

You were a fantastic help. As I moved forward your CIFS comment came into play and was a final answer to getting things up and running. Looks good now (although only 2T of the 4T drive I purchased is utilized it still is worth it). Maybe someday there will be a way I can utilize the other 2T but for now all is up, running and good. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@bdrsd wrote:

although only 2T of the 4T drive I purchased is utilized 

It's not as nice as using the first 2 TB if the drive is too large.  Various calculations overflow, and generally you end up with a much smaller volume.

Look on the main page of Frontview (the NAS admin web ui), and check how big it thinks the volume is.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements