× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 shares available web admin not accessible backup not running to external disk

bandwit
Aspirant

RN102 shares available web admin not accessible backup not running to external disk

Hi all

We have been using this system with 2 1Tb disks mirrored for a couple of years with very few issues.

We have 3 shares, 4 users and a little bit of configuration to ensure people who do not need access to one of the share are excluded using usernames and passwords.

Last week the system stopped responding and the share were not accessible.  The system was restarted by pulling the power and all went back to normal, or so I thought.

On Friday the same happened and I realised I had not been receiving the normal backup failed / completed emails.

Visited the office and discovered that the power light was flashing, the ACT, 1 and 2 lights are solid.

Found that I could connect to give credentials via web browser but get the "ReadyNAS admin page is offline", tried with different browsers and on different computers and get the same issue and I cannot connect using Readycloud.

I want to sort this out the easiest way possible so I did an OS reinstall as per the instructions which has worked as the password has been reset but still no clean boot with admin page access.

I have a backup of the shares from last week and have copied all of the files to another external disk so my data is safe.

I know I can reinitialise and reinstall (hopefully) and copy all the files back on to the newly created shares etc but that leaves me doing the hard bit, setting up the users, shares, backups etc.

Is there a way to avoid this?  Where is the configuration written, on the disks, in the firmware?

What would happen if I moved the disks to another RN102 with the same raid setup, would the system just work or would it reinitialise the disks etc and overwrite what’s there?  I ask as I have a similar unit I could experiment with.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Mark

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 shares available web admin not accessible backup not running to external disk

The problem has been resolved. The cause of this particular problem will be addressed in the next firmware release. Note there are other reasons why the web admin page may become inaccessible.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 shares available web admin not accessible backup not running to external disk

The configuration is stored on the disks (on the OS partition)

You can migrate the disks to a like device.  There is one nuance - if the firmware on the second device doesn't match the disks, then the newest firmware wins.  That is, if the flash on the second device is newer, then the disk is updated.  If the disk is newer, then the flash is updated.  

Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As the OS is on the disks the problem would likely remain if you moved the disks to another chassis.

Can you download the logs using RAIDar the send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 8
bandwit
Aspirant

Thanks

Logs sent.

Mark

Message 4 of 8
bandwit
Aspirant

So is there a way to backup the configuration?

Cheers

Mark

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@bandwit wrote:

So is there a way to backup the configuration?

backupconfig.png

Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM. Please check your PM inbox.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The problem has been resolved. The cause of this particular problem will be addressed in the next firmware release. Note there are other reasons why the web admin page may become inaccessible.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements