× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10200 not able to access to admin page

kriszmaster11
Aspirant

RN10200 not able to access to admin page

I am experiencing problems since upgrading to 6.4.2 a while ago.

The NAS was still working on the 'outside', but the admin page was very slow and hard to reach.

Now I can't even reach the admin page, it just keeps on loading, though I can reach my files with no problem through the network.

If I turn the NAS on, the main power LED keeps blinking, the rest of the LEDs are on.

RAIDar 6.1 does not detect any problem.

I can send log files.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN10200 not able to access to admin page

If I were in your shoes I'd contact Netgear support and ask about per-incident support.  Be very clear that the problem is related to your upgrade to 6.4.2 - that might eliminate their usual charge.

@kriszmaster11 wrote:

So, I guess the OS needs to be reinstalled.

It the OS partition is filling, then that won't help, and could make things worse.

The process is on page 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN_OS_6_Desktop_HW_UM_12Oct2015.pdf

It will reset your network connection to use DHCP and reset your admin password to password. It isn't destructive, so if it works as intended your data should be intact.

FWIW the RAID mode you have chosen is the most risky - if either drive fails you lose eveything. Two separate 3 TB volumes would be safer.  It is particularly important for people using your RAID mode to have a backup.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

My first suggestion is make sure you have a current back up of the files on the NAS

Message 2 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kriszmaster11,

Can you also check other web browser and see if you get the same problem?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 12
kriszmaster11
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Tried with several ones on different platforms.

Firefox - Ubuntu, Windows

Chromium - Ubuntu

Safari - iPad

Same results with all of them.

Thanks! 🙂

Message 4 of 12
kriszmaster11
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Yeah, I thought of that, but that could be problematic.

I have two 3 TB WD drives in the NAS merged into 1 big volume and I just don't have that kind of space for backup.

Nor the money to make it happen right now.

I know it's always useful to have a backup, but do you think it's that neccessary? Is it that bad?

Message 5 of 12
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kriszmaster11,

How about rebooting the NAS and/or using another computer?

Regards,

Message 6 of 12
kriszmaster11
Aspirant

Hello JennC,

Well, I've tried rebooting several times (and by reboot I mean to pull the plug out, because I can't reach the admin page to push the restart button and also the RAIDar Restart button does not do anything).

The results are still the same.

I've tried connecting to it from different computers with different OS-es, all saw the files which were shared but none could get to the admin screen.

When I put in the address into the browser, it asks for my credentials, then a welcome screen comes showing the OS version of the NAS and it just stays there for like 5 minutes and then occasionally it says that the NAS is offline or just keeps loading. It varies.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@kriszmaster11 wrote:

Is it that bad?

It could be. It's not a good sign when the web UI gets bricked.

If you are lucky, the bricked admin UI is just because the OS partition is filling.  Support can fix that fairly easily (though they will charge).

Message 8 of 12
kriszmaster11
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Could it be done without compromising the integrity of my data?

As I've mentioned previously I have two 3 TB WD drives in the NAS merged into one as an extended partition.

Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

If I were in your shoes I'd contact Netgear support and ask about per-incident support.  Be very clear that the problem is related to your upgrade to 6.4.2 - that might eliminate their usual charge.

@kriszmaster11 wrote:

It the OS partition is filling, then that won't help, and could make things worse.

The process is on page 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN_OS_6_Desktop_HW_UM_12Oct2015.pdf

It will reset your network connection to use DHCP and reset your admin password to password. It isn't destructive, so if it works as intended your data should be intact.

FWIW the RAID mode you have chosen is the most risky - if either drive fails you lose eveything. Two separate 3 TB volumes would be safer.  It is particularly important for people using your RAID mode to have a backup.

Message 10 of 12
kriszmaster11
Aspirant

Hello StephenB,

In the end I managed to access to the admin page, it became available after like every 20-30 occasion randomly after forcing a restart.

Preparing for one of these occasions I bought another external USB drive and performed a backup to that drive.

Then I performed a Factory Default procedure, upgraded to 6.5.0 and then Factory Default again on 6.5.0.

I set up the 2 drives to RAID 1, so I'd be safer in the long run.

Now it's working as new.

Hopefully I will not run into this problem in the future.

I'd like to thank you all for your kind assistance, I really appreciate it.

I wish you a great day,

Regards,

kriszmaster11

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you are up and running again.  It is a good idea to have a backup on another device (even with raid-1).

I'd also suggest getting a UPS for the NAS (so it won't experience unexpected power loss).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements