× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 Freezes when doing large transfers on 6.4.0

Learning2NAS
Tutor

RN104 Freezes when doing large transfers via USB 3.0 on 6.4.0

My RN10400 has been working great since purchase. However, I've never transferred over USB extensively; all of the data was loaded over the network. Now I have a large set of folders on a USB 3.0 HDD that I'm trying to move to the NAS. When I try to copy them over it starts at full speed and stays there for about five minutes. Then it seems to get overloaded and go from 100% to frozen in a split second. No warning, no error, just unresponsive and frozen. I've tried the copy three times with the same result, and I have to pull the power to get it back on. There are no apps installed or running. Plain 6.4.0. Each time I pull the plug I have to resync the volume data, so this process is getting old fast.

Any suggestions?

Update: I upgraded to 6.4.1RC and I still have the same issue. Pulled the plug to get it back on again =(

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Hello,@Learning2NAS

In my case (erratic freezezs when writing large files on disk).

An upgrade to 6.4.1 RC1 + Factory reset (AKA factory reset under 6.4.1) solved the issue.

As a test I did went back from 6.4.1 to 6.4.0 stable (what a joke 😉 ) and it immediatly froze again.

So if you are up to wipe your NAS, try a factroy reset to 6.4.1 before trying to downgrade.

Please report the result of this, it would help a lot other contributors

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Learning2NAS
Tutor

Re: RN104 Freezes when doing large transfers via USB 3.0 on 6.4.0

Just found this thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/rn104-updated-to-6-4-0-and-possible-solution-to... with LOTS of people experiencing the same issue I am, although in a variety of use cases. My unit only freezes on USB transfers, but it is consistent. Seems the only fix is to downgrade to 6.2.5.

Can anyone confirm before I wipe my unit? =(

Message 2 of 6
Learning2NAS
Tutor

Another update: I just threw a block of data (100gb) at the unit over gigabit LAN and it froze, so USB is not the issue here. Using 6.4.1RC I still have the freeze/lockup issue on RN104 when under heavy load.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 4 of 6

Hello,@Learning2NAS

In my case (erratic freezezs when writing large files on disk).

An upgrade to 6.4.1 RC1 + Factory reset (AKA factory reset under 6.4.1) solved the issue.

As a test I did went back from 6.4.1 to 6.4.0 stable (what a joke 😉 ) and it immediatly froze again.

So if you are up to wipe your NAS, try a factroy reset to 6.4.1 before trying to downgrade.

Please report the result of this, it would help a lot other contributors

Message 5 of 6
Learning2NAS
Tutor

Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly.

I've been fooling with this thing for about ten hours and I located my issue. As I said, I'm already on 6.4.1RC and I performed a full factory reset. My unit still froze, though. Based on your answer I knew the issue had to be something else, so I went back to the drawing board.

Last week I added a clunky old 250gb drive to my RAID 5 to pickup a few extra GB and to run that old drive to its death (I hate waste, and throwing away something that works doesn't sit well with me). The drive worked great for a week, so I thought that it would be fine eventhough it isn't on the compatability list. I have had 9 drives in my RN so far, none of which were on the list and none of which caused me any problems. This 10 year old drive did, though. I don't know that the problem is because it's similar spec to my disks that work without issue, but for some reason this disk dropped behind under heavy read/write and caused the system to hang. It passes every disk test I throw at it, in the NAS or on my PC, and manages to get all the way through the RAID sync fine. As soon as I try to do something, though, the unit locks-up.

I replaced all four disks with matching HGSTs I had laying around and moved a LOT of data to it after the RAID was built. I tried USB and wired ethernet, no problems. That old disk, or a combination of all of my old disks, killed the RN. If anyone knows how/whether this can be overcome, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again everyone 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements