× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104: New Disk not accessible?

Deano1
Aspirant

RN104: New Disk not accessible?

Hi. I've just replaced a 4TB drive in my NAS with a  brand new 10TB drive (WD Red Pro). I cannot seem to get access to it though - it shows up in the System tab but it is not selectable. The old drive is appearing at the bottom of the list (Disk3).

My setup is a simple JBOD so no RAID necessary. I looked into formatting the disk, just in case that was the issue but the KB I found suggests doing a full system reset which will wipe all of the disks - obviously not what I want to do!!
https://kb.netgear.com/22896/How-do-I-reformat-a-previously-formatted-disk-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-deskt...

Thanks!

disk.jpg

Message 1 of 6
Deano1
Aspirant

The Format button on the right that looks greyed out??!! 🤣

Looks like I got there....

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

With a JBOD configuration, removing one drive removes a volume.  You have several shown in red in your screen grab, which confuses me.  Are you inserting and pulling drives as some kind of backup scheme?  A NAS is not designed for that.  I don't know if that's a part of your problem or not.

If the format button won't un-ghost when you select that drive, it may have a system partition on it that ReadyNAS OS can't delete.  You'll have to do that some other way.  And usually, Windows won't allow it in Disk Management, either, you have to use fdisk from a command prompt.  Alternately, it's possible there is something wrong with the drive, but usually the drive doesn't show up at all or lets you try to format and then fails when that's the case.

Message 3 of 6
Deano1
Aspirant

No - they are old drives that were upgraded/replaced previously.

But yes, the Format option becomes available when the drive is selected. The problem was that it is barely visible!

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Deano1 wrote:

No - they are old drives that were upgraded/replaced previously.

Then you should delete them from the web ui (click on the settings wheel next to the volume).

Generally you should delete or export the volume before removing the disk when you are upgrading.

Message 5 of 6
Deano1
Aspirant

Well I copied the data off, replaced the disk and then copied the data back to the new disk.

I'll take that extra step of deleting the old volumes - thanks 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements