× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Problems with 6.8.0 Upgrade......no shares !

martinhj
Apprentice

RN104 Problems with 6.8.0 Upgrade......no shares !

So, tonight I upgrade to 6.8.0 on my NAS104.

Everything goes OK, reboot unit, comes back up and no shares, no data, no nothing just a GUI.......eeek! Scary pants moment! (I DO have a backup but really dont want to have to transfer many GB of data back onto it, or have a unit I am scared to upgrade!)

Anyhow, first thing I do is reboot and it comes back up showing the volume usage as expected.....phew! But then I cant see any data via SMB from my windows machine. Not panicking too much now as I can see there is data there and a quick browse via the web gui shows it all to be there...but still I cannot see it from Windows or linux machines.

So next I go into the shares and check permissions....all looks OK but still nothing from the other machines so I look at the SMB settings for my NAS, all looks OK. Next I go look at the SMB settings for one of the shares....press apply without changing anything and it goess off applying stuff....go back to my windows machine and lo and behold all my shares are back visible

Strange! Anyone else seen anything like this as I have another one to upgrade next? 😞

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
profeta64
Luminary

Re: RN104 Problems with 6.8.0 Upgrade......no shares !

Thanks to the support people, they found that the samba service was not starting due to wrong files permission inside the data directory.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@martinhj

Could you please send logs to check?

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?
https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators

Message 2 of 10
martinhj
Apprentice

Logs sent

Message 3 of 10
profeta64
Luminary

I have the same issue, too, on a RN214

(of the not reachable SMB devices)

Message 4 of 10
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@martinhj

md125 has errors on your NAS, so data can't be mount.

Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 kernel: BTRFS error (device md125): failed to read the system array: -5
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 mount[1152]: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md125,
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 mount[1152]:        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 mount[1152]:        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 mount[1152]:        dmesg | tail or so.
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 kernel: BTRFS error (device md125): open_ctree failed
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 systemd[1]: data.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Sep 03 15:53:19 NAS_104 systemd[1]: Failed to mount /data.

Could do you please file a support case? we need to remote access to your NAS to check the issue.

Create a support case
https://kb.netgear.com/26905/Creating-a-Support-Case-through-MyNETGEAR

Message 5 of 10
martinhj
Apprentice

Well I tried! but it tells me support has run out so I can either pay Netgear or get directed back here 🙂

Let me know what you want to do to look at this....Happy to help you guys if you want to investigate....

Message 6 of 10
martinhj
Apprentice

@profeta64 wrote:

I have the same issue, too, on a RN214

(of the not reachable SMB devices)

I went into one of my shares from the RN GUI then in Settings...Network Access...SMB I simply presse Apply and it went away and thought about it for a good few minutes and everything re-appeared....dont know if it was that that did it or they were busy sorting themselves out after the reboot and it was a coincidence but it worked for me

Martin

Message 7 of 10
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@martinhj

OK, 

Could do you please enable secure diagnosticn in NAS admin GUI =>System=>Settings=>Support?

or enable it using RAIDar,

https://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0

then PM me 5 digital,

I will ask out engineer to remote to check the problem.

Message 8 of 10
martinhj
Apprentice

Cheers evan2, PM Sent,

I will discuss via PM and let you post the outcome here for the benefit of others if required rather than keep duplicating messages 🙂

Message 9 of 10
profeta64
Luminary

Thanks to the support people, they found that the samba service was not starting due to wrong files permission inside the data directory.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements