× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 Share Missing After Uncommanded Power On

BrainDmgedPilot
Aspirant

RN104 Share Missing After Uncommanded Power On

Good evening all. Looking for any insight or help the community can provide. As it says in the title my Share on my RN104 is missing. I have seen several other posts with a similiar issues but no clear explanation of how to correct probelm. I can see that the data is still there when I look at System -> Volumes but cannot access it at all.

Sequence of events:

Physically turned off device via power button, normal soft power off.

Come home from work several days later and the device has turned itself on. I do NOT have it scheduled to auto-start and the device is plugged in to a battery-backup UPS, but not controlled by the UPS.

I realize that the SMB network share is showing empty from my computer.

Accessing the device webpage I see that the Share is gone and no files are listed under Shares, but the Volumes page shows the correct amount of data on the drives.

I attempt to access the device via WinSCP and Putty as recommended in other posts but neither work. WinSCP only shows the root directory and no files, and Putty is immediately terminated by the device.

I checked the device logs and it did not auto-update nor do anyting else I can see that would explain deleting the Share configuration.

Device;

RN104

Firmware 6.7.5

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

One option is to create a new share (different name at first - say ShareX).  

Then rename the new share folder to a second new name - say ShareY - using putty/ssh, not the web ui.  Leave the share in the web UI alone. 

Then name the original share folder to ShareX (also using putty).

Finally rename ShareX to the original share name in the web UI.  Perhaps also reset the file permissions/owners via the file access tab.

You can get rid of the empty ShareY folder using btrfs subvolume delete /data/ShareY from putty.

The above likely would need some adjustment if your files are in a home folder.  But it should work for an ordinary share.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

When you tried putty, was ssh enabled for the NAS?  You need to use "root" as the username, with the admin NAS password.

Message 2 of 6
BrainDmgedPilot
Aspirant

Both FTP and SSH were turned on the first time I tried, however I did not think to try logging in as root. Thank you for that tip. Upon trying again WinSCP cannot connect when trying to login as root, but SSHing as root via PUTTY does work.

The output of df -h is as follows:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        3.7G  1.1G  2.5G  31% /
tmpfs           249M     0  249M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           249M  420K  248M   1% /run
tmpfs           125M  748K  124M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           249M     0  249M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127      3.7T  2.1T  1.6T  57% /Rogue-Backup_Volume

/dev/md127      3.7T  2.1T  1.6T  57% /apps
/dev/md127      3.7T  2.1T  1.6T  57% /home

df -i as follows:

Filesystem      Inodes IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
udev             63112   446   62666    1% /dev
/dev/md0       1048576 12240 1036336    2% /
tmpfs            63552     1   63551    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs            63552   572   62980    1% /run
tmpfs            63552    24   63528    1% /run/lock
tmpfs            63552     9   63543    1% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127           0     0       0     - /Rogue-Backup_Volume
/dev/md127           0     0       0     - /apps
/dev/md127           0     0       0     - /home

Message 3 of 6
BrainDmgedPilot
Aspirant

And the ls -l/<folder> command does show the correct folders.

**EDIT**

Just reattempted WinSCP with both SSH and FTP active and I was able to login as root and see all of my personal files as well as the device file/folder structure. Unfortunately, I am not Linux-literate enough to hunt for the SMB config file and fix it. Is it possible to fix/manaully edit the config file and reestablish the network share without impacting my personal files?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

One option is to create a new share (different name at first - say ShareX).  

Then rename the new share folder to a second new name - say ShareY - using putty/ssh, not the web ui.  Leave the share in the web UI alone. 

Then name the original share folder to ShareX (also using putty).

Finally rename ShareX to the original share name in the web UI.  Perhaps also reset the file permissions/owners via the file access tab.

You can get rid of the empty ShareY folder using btrfs subvolume delete /data/ShareY from putty.

The above likely would need some adjustment if your files are in a home folder.  But it should work for an ordinary share.

Message 5 of 6
BrainDmgedPilot
Aspirant

Stephen,

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. But more importantly, you saved my bacon man. I followed your suggestion using WinSCP (the command line and I never get along) and was able to recover my share without issue it seems. The only snag I've run into is not being able to delete the temprorary folder. The system returns that it cannot be deleted because there are files within the folder, even though it's empty. Definetely something I can live with for now.

One other option I thought of while doing this is to create a new Share like you suggested, but then just copy the date from the old folder into the new share folder using WinSCP or the command line as desired. Either way, glad to have my files back. Thank you for your help man,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements