× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 - What's the highest MTU number?

JerkyChew
Aspirant

RN104 - What's the highest MTU number?

I have a new ReadyNas RN104, running ReadyNASOS 6.2.4 (that rhymed). I have a Cisco SG300 switch with layer 2 jumbo frames enabled on all ports. When I try setting the MTU of one my RN104 interfaces to 9000, it says "invalid MTU number" and then that interface stops working until I perform a full shut down and restart. Interestingly, when I go back into the NIC settings the MTU still says 9000.

So what's the highest MTU setting I can use that won't make my RN104 lose its mind?
Message 1 of 7
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: RN104 - What's the highest MTU number?

You could set the MTU at 1500 🙂 We do have an RN316 and it is set to 1500 as of now.
Message 2 of 7
Nhellie
Virtuoso

This could be related to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=71323

make sure that the switches have updated softwares as well to utilize higher MTU's
Message 3 of 7
JerkyChew
Aspirant

Thanks, I hadn't found that thread in my searches, but it seems like there's still no fix? My Cisco switch is the latest firmware and my two ESXi servers (Dell PowerEdge) are happily communicating with an MTU of 9000 without issue.

EDIT: Wow, there is definitely something amiss with the OS in these units. I just tried ifconfig | grep MTU from an ssh session and it just hung. Now I can no longer SSH to the server, though the web interface works. This seems like a nasty bug and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.
Message 4 of 7
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Could be a matter of mixing and matching, the 104 does not seem to have that much power to go along with a 9k MTU. I guess you'll have to stick to the basic 1500 MTU for now.
Message 5 of 7
JerkyChew
Aspirant

There's zero data or network traffic on the system - I just performed a factory reset. So power should have nothing to do with it. I think this is a bug, not a feature.
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I agree that "power" (CPU speed or amps) has nothing to do with it. The RN104's throughput is limited by its CPU, not the network though - so I don't think it will benefit from the larger MTU size.

My RN102 is set to 9000 now, and that isn't causing any problems on my (home) network. You might try mirroring the port on the switch and looking deeper with wireshark.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements