× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 source cannot be mounted on the system

Follower

RN104 source cannot be mounted on the system

I have a Drobo FS that I've used for my main NAS server for quite sometime. (CIFS/SMB and AFP are the protocol it supports for connections.) Works great and speedy.

My Macs, Phones, Pads, Windows machines (7, 8, 8.1 and 10) all connect with no problem. Along with my ReadyNAS NV+V2 (RAIDiator 5.3.11) which has been backing it using the Windows/NAS (Timestamp) option for ages.

I bought a couple of RN104's (OS v6.4.2) as I need more storage and decided to use one of them as a second backup copy.

So, I setup my backups exactly as the NV+V2 settings. I use 'Test Connection' to make sure things work as expected. They do, I get the reply 'Successfully connected to //AIBSTD1/iTunes' or any other share I try with this configuration.

BUT any and all backups fail when they are run.

OK, maybe somethings changed, so I try the following connections protocols/methods:

Windows/NAS (Timestamp)

Windows (Archive Bit)

nfs

Rsync Server

All fail with 'source cannot be mounted on the system'

BTW, 'Test Connection' is successful with the Windows/NAS and nfs options.

I've also used explicit user/password configurations in case something else has changed there?

I've tried the other ReadyNAS just in case it was a problem specific to one but no it happens the same on both. (Along with a couple of system resets just in case.)

I configured different DHCP and DNS servers, standard router, Windows DHCP and DNS, Qip etc just in case it was a network resolution problem.

Nothing seems to solve the problem.

Any one come across this before or have any possible solutions?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN104 source cannot be mounted on the system

NFS and RSYNC require NFS and RSYNC to be enabled on the drobo.

You could try installing the SMB-plus app.  It lets you downgrade the SMB server protocol.  Version 2.1 is what Windows 7 uses, by default the RN104 uses version 3.  So try SMB 2.1.

Also, if the Drobo has a windows workgroup setting, try setting the RN104s to match its configuration. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements